Newtonian

ammo shortage?

And 22LR does not keep like CF. Something else to consider.

Not sure I follow. I don't think there is a difference in shelf life between rim fire and center fire ammo. Both keep for decades if stored properly.

Not sure I follow. I don't think there is a difference in shelf life between rim fire and center fire ammo. Both keep for decades if stored properly.

It's generally thought that rimfire has a short shelf life. I wouldn't trust 22lr that was 30+ years old but I have no experience with it. That is why you see commercial canned 22.

During the great 22lr ammo drought of 2013, I read post after post written by old coots shooting ammo they picked up (hoarded) at the hardware store, gas station, drug store, etc...all bought back in the 70's and 80's.  They were all too happy to gloat that they were shooting while everyone else was glued to ammoseek and gunbot.  As I recall, only one guy said he had some trouble with the vintage ammo, which turned out to be a worn out spring or something.

Well, I can say first hand the old boy's club was blowing smoke somewhere.  I have 22LR from the 90's from four different makers that have FTF and feed problems that would make Thunderturds look like Olympic ammo.  All properly stored away and forgotten about until cleaning out that old space for one reason or another.  This over three different houses.  Stored in ziplock plastic bags they looked real good, performed like crap. They work for plinking, but that is about all.  I would say they are good for 10-15 years on the outside.  Most of the FTF fired on the second primer strike, but a good portion were duds.  Not to mention reduced powder charge firings.  So for me, I may stack it high, but I will turn it over,

So for me, I may stack it high, but I will turn it over,

That's the best plan, but some brands, at least, will keep for a very long time.  In 2013 when I couldn't find my usual CCI Standard Velocity anywhere, I dusted off my last stock of Remington Standard Velocity and Winchester T22--both dated 1978, and moved with me 6 times through 4 states--and shot a full season in my local bullseye league.   No issues whatsoever, and my scores were solidly in the Master class, with a few forays into High Master territory.  And that's as good as I can do with fresh ammo...

Things are going to change November 7th 2016.

Much sooner. Most distributors are sold out of NJ compliant AR's. Could have been the speech on Sunday...but shortages are coming as many dealers will sell through their inventory while manufactures struggle again to fill consumer demand. Buckle up guys, going to get crazy again!

Most are sold out because this is a short term rush. The market has been flooded with ARs. so nobody has been making them. Who would? I do not see this rush continuing as the last time.  Build your own, plenty of parts available.

Well, I can say first hand the old boy's club was blowing smoke somewhere.  I have 22LR from the 90's from four different makers that have FTF and feed problems that would make Thunderturds look like Olympic ammo.  All properly stored away and forgotten about until cleaning out that old space for one reason or another.  This over three different houses.  Stored in ziplock plastic bags they looked real good, performed like crap. They work for plinking, but that is about all.  I would say they are good for 10-15 years on the outside.  Most of the FTF fired on the second primer strike, but a good portion were duds.  Not to mention reduced powder charge firings.  So for me, I may stack it high, but I will turn it over,

Revolver or semi-auto?

Can't find .22 CCI Mini-Mags anywhere!

That's been true for a long time as far as I know.

There's no shortage. But the case prices did go up about $20 in a week. No surprise there.

Can't find .22 CCI Mini-Mags anywhere!

bass pro shops in AC has the 100 rnd sleeves for $8.20 something. Its kind of a shame they are trying to sell their 500 rnd bricks for close to $50. I think some retailers are just multipling the cost of a 100 rnd sleeve by 5 to get their 500 rnd brick prices... not interested at that price.

editing post to current-tense, as in, as of this morning bass pro shops has the mini mags at that price

She gone!

Revolver or semi-auto?

Makes no difference.  Some do not fire regardless of gun, SA, bolt, lever, etc.  Quite a few will fire on second strike, again, makes no difference what gun it is in. I am not saying it is all NG, I saying the FTF rate is higher than normal.  I see no problems with CF I have loaded from the 80's on.  

That's been true for a long time as far as I know.

There's no shortage. But the case prices did go up about $20 in a week. No surprise there.

no shortage? i was able to buy a case of 5k rounds of federal a couple years ago... im lucky to find a single brick that isnt over priced.

If everyone stops buying now, the prices will come back down again.

Wishful thinking but will never happen, especially this time of year, not only people buying for themselves but also gifts... add in all the bullshit from around the country and its even worse. Its a vicious cycle, it sucks.

200bucks shipped for 5250 rounds of 40gr federal champion. I've been through 2 bricks using my ruger 10/22 and mkIII without a single issue. So 18 bucks a brick sounds right. I'm not even going that far back here either. I think it was 2012.

I believe it was around three years ago, just before Newtown, that I picked up a couple of cases of Federal Bulk (5250 rounds) for around $179.  Picked up one case, then saw it on sale again a few weeks later.  Thought I really did not need any more, but decided to grab another case just for the hell of it.  In retrospect, glad I did.

But the situation with .22 has been the same for a long time now.  I don't believe it's related to the current situation.  But I have seen a bump in the prices of other rounds.  Not a full-fledged panic, but prices have definitely notched up a bit.  Just as an example, Targetsportsusa.com had Wolf Gold .223 for $299 a case for a couple of months, but now it's $350.

I too used to by a case of Federal bulk for $179 shipped to the door from Dunns.  Used to say why do I need more?  Too bad I didn't.

yes Dunns, that was it. ahhh the good ole days lol. on the other hand 9mm is about the same if you look and get lucky. just got 2k of brass(S&B,Aguilla) for $10 a box delivered. thats about what it was 3,4 yrs ago.

Thanks for the Gander Mountain link ... sold out though.

By the way:

http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rimfire/22lr/

http://ammoseek.com/ammo/22lr

http://www.gunbuddy.com/ammo/22-lr

http://armsbot.com/ammo/22lr

http://findmeammo.com/walmart

However, just scored at $.07/round (limit 10x100):           https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/68759

no reason to spend more than $24/500 on 22lr.  I think even that is high as prior to ammo scare, it was $18/500.

just relax, stop panic buying/hoarding and prices will come down.  We've seen .22 rifles really drop in price as the alure of practicing with m4 style .22 has seemed to drop off so it only reasons that .22lr will follow soon enough.

remember guys, I haven't been wrong yet on the ammo:)    jinked it I know...lol

There was an article in shotgun news on the subject a few months ago. According to several manufacturers, rimfire is more costly to produce than center fire and the margins are much lower. As a result, they'll be glad to keep producing at the current rate but no manufacturer is willing to invest in increasing production. Demand is at record levels so production isn't keeping up. It looks like the future of .22 is either higher prices or continued shortages.

Edit, the increased demand is not just from hoarders, but from the popularity of the new products on the market. All those .22 AR's, 1911's and conversion slides need to be fed.