Newtonian

ammo shortage?

I haven't touched my .22lr since 2013ish. I don't bother considering it's equally cheap enough to load my own 9mm and actually enjoy shooting and training with it. I laugh at the guys selling 9mm on NJ facebook pages for $0.24/rd or higher. That's just insulting.

There was an article in shotgun news on the subject a few months ago. According to several manufacturers, rimfire is more costly to produce than center fire and the margins are much lower. As a result, they'll be glad to keep producing at the current rate but no manufacturer is willing to invest in increasing production. Demand is at record levels so production isn't keeping up. It looks like the future of .22 is either higher prices or continued shortages.

Edit, the increased demand is not just from hoarders, but from the popularity of the new products on the market. All those .22 AR's, 1911's and conversion slides need to be fed.

I would also have to say that new shooters are a big contributing factor. The stats on new shooters in the past 5 years has to be way up there. Also factor in kids growing up shooting .22 etc etc...everything combined is taking a toll on the industry. 

I went to Dick's on Black Friday weekend and they had .22s 4 different types, for the first time I said "No Thanks" as the prices were high and none of it was CCI!

I truly think I am happy with the amount of .22 ammo I have on hand now! 5000+ rounds of .22 is plenty enough for just about anyone I would think!!!

I have to admit that I do get a kick out of folks that just won't buy .22 until the price is back to what it was in the good old days. I was thinking of not buying gasoline until it gets back under 0.30/gal like it was in 1972.

Well if u have gas stocked at ur house why not? Would have saved a foturne with gas prices done right now.

I went to Dick's on Black Friday weekend and they had .22s 4 different types, for the first time I said "No Thanks" as the prices were high and none of it was CCI!

I truly think I am happy with the amount of .22 ammo I have on hand now! 500 rounds of .22 is plenty enough for just about anyone I would think!!!

You can start thinking  like that when you have about 5,000 + rounds.

Four zeroes would be about right. Shoot two or three relays in a Bullseye league every week, add a few practice sessions, and it all adds up.  Like Jerry says if you want to be good, be the first on the range and the last one to leave.

I have to admit that I do get a kick out of folks that just won't buy .22 until the price is back to what it was in the good old days. I was thinking of not buying gasoline until it gets back under 0.30/gal like it was in 1972.

Yes it must be inflation. Except the price of all other types of ammo is pretty much where it was 3 years ago. So I will wait.

Yes it must be inflation. Except the price of all other types of ammo is pretty much where it was 3 years ago. So I will wait.

I got a friend who sells retail ammo, he told me at wholesale a brick of 22lr is the same exact price it was 5+ years ago I think he told me he pays something around $15.00 for a brick. As per the industry explanation from a Brownells article manufactures  can change dies on center fire ammo production machines as they please, but the 22lr is a specialty machine that only does rimfire and they are not going to invest millions of dollars for new equipment. Brass ,copper and fuels are much much lower than I can remember for the last 10 years. I doubt prices are going up but also boubt there going much lower.

$44.95 delivered for 500 rounds. No thanks.

$8 for mini mags is prob as good as it gets these days...the 2nd link #0030 have a $10 rebate from CCI when purchased before the end of Dec. 

http://static-forums.fatwallet.com/static/attachments/500709_cci2015form.pdf

Both links show instock as of 10:10am

.22lr is still out of range for mail order, given shipping and unit limitations. About 50 vendors on Ammoseek.com advertise < 10 cents per round, which is the new normal, but when you factor in the B.S. it's much more than that. Glad I stocked up before the craze. Still best to find a local dealer.