Dro8

STI Trojan 1911 won't go into battery on slide stop release.

So I just got a new STI Trojan 9mm.  Great firearm.  I cleaned it up and then ran about 150 rounds through it right after I got it.  I did a lot of practice emergency reloads releasing the slide with the slide stop on a new partially full magazine and never had any trouble.  However, the following weekend when I used it in an IDPA competition, I had 2 occasions where after a reload with a now full magazine (Dawson Precision 10 rounders - 9mm), the gun would not go into battery when releasing the slide with the slide stop.  After those 2 incidents I switched to a sling-shot slide release and didn't have any trouble.  Do you think my issue is with spring tension in the magazines?  I'm more of a Glock guy so trouble-shooting a 1911 is a bit new for me.  Any help suggestions would be appreciated.

I think your issue is that, the gun being new and all, it needs every bit of it's spring tension to properly go into battery on the spring pressure of a full mag. This may change after a good break-in or as the mags soften up, but by slingshotting the slide (and pulling it back 1/8 to 1/4" beyond where it is held by the slide stop) you are compressing the recoil spring to it's maximum, providing more spring energy to pull that first round off of the full mag. You may have to change your shooting evolution to slingshot everything.

Never had trouble with mine. Easiest thing to try is mags - I have Wilson combat and the one STI supplied

Surprised to hear you have Wilson combat mags working in a Trojan.  If you want to buy more I have some I would sell you.  I love my STI Trojan, but have had loads of problems with it.  When it works it works great.  I sent it back due to lots of feed failures and then machined the frame and the feed ramp, they also told me they could not get it to work with the Wilson mags and suggested Tripp or Metalform mags (Dawson are made by Metalform I believe).  I recently sent it back for a broken barrel link.  Turns out the one they put in when they built it was too short, don't know how they screwed that up.  Anyhow, I love the gun and wish you good luck with it.

Sounds like a magazine problem. I can't speak to the Trojan specifically, but I have an STI USPSA in 9mm and I have 10 Wilson mags (two different generations) and they all work fine. I have heard of the STI 9's being finnicky about mags - I just got lucky, I guess.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I agree with JayWilling. I think the one time I released the slide stop to let'er go she stuck but every time I pull the slide back and release she goes no problem. FWIW, Howard I'm surprised to hear that Wilson combat mags didn't work for you. I have heard about grip bushing sticking out into the magazine well. I just did a search and found this: "Look for scratching on your magazine to figure out which one and then get in there with a fine file."  "The three finger spring has excess metal protruding unto the magazine area. Take it out and file the hook part that holds it into place."

Here's an old trick with 1911s.  Slide locked open, load magazine, point gun in safe direction, pull and hold trigger. While holding trigger, release slide with slide stop.  Results any better? The sear will not reset until the trigger is released. When shooting bullseye years ago was instructed to always load this way to stop wear and tear on these parts as the gun would always function this way during live fire. We used reduced power loads and reduced power recoil springs just enough to get the gun to cycle reliably.  This always cause loading problems the kind you are describing.  Roughness in the mating between slide and frame parts caused just enough friction to cause this loading problem. A little smoothing out of this parts usually solved the problem.  Another way to address it was to increase your recoil spring by one pound at a time. This however could cause cycling problems, so a gentle balance.

Standard recoil spring on 9mm is 14 lbs.  Order a spring kit from Wolff and see, 

...FWIW, Howard I'm surprised to hear that Wilson combat mags didn't work for you. I have heard about grip bushing sticking out into the magazine well. I just did a search and found this: "Look for scratching on your magazine to figure out which one and then get in there with a fine file."  "The three finger spring has excess metal protruding unto the magazine area. Take it out and file the hook part that holds it into place."

STI was the one that told me not to use them as they could not get them to work.  The plastic follower holds the cartridge at too low an angle and it tends to nose dive on the feed ramp.

Wow crazy that really sucks you're getting that much trouble out of a gun that should be great. If you really want to sell the mags PM me.

Surprised to hear you have Wilson combat mags working in a Trojan. If you want to buy more I have some I would sell you. I love my STI Trojan, but have had loads of problems with it. When it works it works great. I sent it back due to lots of feed failures and then machined the frame and the feed ramp, they also told me they could not get it to work with the Wilson mags and suggested Tripp or Metalform mags (Dawson are made by Metalform I believe). I recently sent it back for a broken barrel link. Turns out the one they put in when they built it was too short, don't know how they screwed that up. Anyhow, I love the gun and wish you good luck with it.

STI was the one that told me not to use them as they could not get them to work.  The plastic follower holds the cartridge at too low an angle and it tends to nose dive on the feed ramp.

Oh, I believe you. It seems that once I got my STI I ran into more guys with them. Most recommended Wilson combat mags to me for my Lawman but I went with another brand. Well, I'm sorry you have such troubles with your STI.