Budasac

And so it begins....

I've officially crossed over to the dark side. I bought my first AR a few months ago and now I'm starting my first build. Yesterday I finally came across a lower that I liked so now it begins. I have a RRA 2-stage trigger so far but nothing else. I'm sure I'll be placing numerous orders over the next week or two though.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Black Rifleitis, symptoms, Onset, drained bank accounts, internet search finger, option overload, occasional spats of Turrets like cursing due to lost small items such as springs. Recovery rate is nearly 100%, Typically resolves with wide ear to ear grin, though sometimes a residual short term effect of sore arm muscles from patting one's self on the back may occur.

Make sure you grab up some extra lower common spring and detent parts! You will inevitably loose one or the other during a build. It kills the build buzz if you don't have spares around. Have fun!

Make sure you grab up some extra lower common spring and detent parts! You will inevitably loose one or the other during a build. It kills the build buzz if you don't have spares around. Have fun!

I've built all four of my AR rifles and without fail every time I shoot a detent or a spring half way across the room, sage advice.

All kidding aside. I now sit in the shower with the doors closed and a white sheet on the floor. At least that way, if a spring goes flying, I can find it right away!!!

That stupid rear take down pin spring gets me every time!!!!!!

Budasac, welcome to a very expensive hobby!  Next thing you know, you will be converting your first Saiga into an AK47!!!

All kidding aside. I now sit in the shower with the doors closed and a white sheet on the floor. At least that way, if a spring goes flying, I can find it right away!!!

That stupid rear take down pin spring gets me every time!!!!!!

Budasac, welcome to a very expensive hobby!  Next thing you know, you will be converting your first Saiga into an AK47!!!

Lol seriously?   Why not just buy this?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/920248/model-1-pivot-pin-detent-installation-tool-ar-15

Very nice lower bud
Thank you. I was looking for something a little different, when I saw this one I thought it was perfect.

All kidding aside. I now sit in the shower with the doors closed and a white sheet on the floor. At least that way, if a spring goes flying, I can find it right away!!!That stupid rear take down pin spring gets me every time!!!!!!Budasac, welcome to a very expensive hobby! Next thing you know, you will be converting your first Saiga into an AK47!!!
I've been on a 1911 bender lately so the ARs may actually be easier on the wallet. We'll see how much self control I have. I've barely begun this one and have at least two more builds planned already.:p

Perhaps because it's discontinued and no longer available!!

I think I have one of those. My buddy gave me a box with "everything I need to build an AR." Pretty sure that was in there.

I was hoping to find a lower parts kit today and install it but no body had one in stock. I did install the RRA National Match 2-stage trigger and Magpul grip. I'll check Heritage tomorrow, otherwise I'll have to order a parts kit along with everything else.

Posted Image

You're better off ordering one online - best prices and availability.

Welcome to the build-your-own club :)

I know but, I'm home and I'm impatient. I had the day off and wanted to do something with it. I'm looking through Brownells big book now.

I know but, I'm home and I'm impatient. I had the day off and wanted to do something with it. I'm looking through Brownells big book now.

If you go to RRA you can buy each part of an LPK individually or as a kit without FCG.  

Well, after two weeks my shipment from Midway finally arrived. It was delivered to the wrong address, opened, taped up with duct tape and re-delivered. It looks like all my goodies are there though.

Ace Skeleton stock

Midwest Industries SS series hand guard

Skeleton trigger guard

Upper parts kit

Carbine buffer and spring

BCM Gunfighter medium charging handle

I also picked up a stripped Anderson upper. Hopefully my Brownell's order will be here today with the rest of my stuff.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

i only know of a handful of trigger fingers that might possibly be able to function as fast as a bump fire stock. There used to be a trigger that fired on each movement of the trigger, forward and backward would release the sear.  Very dangerous. Don't know if it is still around. A nice 3.5lb trigger with tight travel tolerances is fine for everyday range use.  Otherwise, triggers should be matched to the rifle's main purpose.  FYI, National Match course of fire is 4.5 lbs minimum. 

Since people are talking about builds. I know there is a bump fire stock you can buy. Is there any special trigger ( that does not cost more than the rifle) that will allow legal rapid fire?

Define rapid fire. Are you talking bump fire, spray the berms rapid fire or controlled rapid fire?

I can shoot my rifle pretty fast at 'close' ranges, and if I'm really turned on that dayI can generally run 0.17 to 0.2 seconds splits while actually shooting at a target and letting the sights get back where I want them.  0.15 and lower is VERY good while aiming, and I'm guessing robots like Jerry M can get close to 0.10 splits. Beyond that you are talking full auto.

The above times can be done with almost any good modern trigger, you don't need anything magic, but they need to have a good positive reset and be sufficiently light.  For me a SD-3G works best for pure speed, but other like the AR Gold, and Hyperfire 24-c and so on. Pretty much anything around 3lb or lighter can be shot faster then you can control the gun, IMHO.