Sign in to follow this  
checko

What ammo are you using?

Im hoping to finish up my SPR build by the end of the year and was wondering what you guys are using for ammo.  I'm not looking to buy the highest end possible just something to give me solid results.  

Ill have an 18" 1/8 SPR profile barrel looking to shoot around 300 yds

Sierra Match King 69 grains over 25.5 Varget YMMV, good for 300 and beyond.

Good choice!  1:9 will stabilize the 69gr just fine in most cases.  Now I believe 25.5gr of Varget is a compressed load.  IIRC I couldn't get that much in the case.

What is your experience?

Good choice!  1:9 will stabilize the 69gr just fine in most cases.  Now I believe 25.5gr of Varget is a compressed load.  IIRC I couldn't get that much in the case.

What is your experience?

Federal or IVI case, CCI primer, 2.235 OAL. YMMV. Can't remember any loading issues. Hodgdon states 24.0 to 26.0, started at 25.0 and stopped at 25.5, good enough. Not my regular load, was a joint effort with another who shoots 300M plus all the time, looking for long range Pdog loads.. I don't need that, 150 max normal for me. Nailing steel at that distance with boring regularity. Using a 24" SS 8T RGS Wylde bull barrel ( Wilson Arms) and an 18" SS 8T IGS Wylde medium (Odin Works)..

Am I the only one who buys the cheapest ammo possible and is happy with it?  lol Tulammo polymer coated steel case 65gr fmj :p Buy it by the 500rd case for about $120 and I can get a head shot 499/500 at 100 yards.  :p  I did have issues hitting water bottles at 300 yards...  But at the time I was only using a *cheap* 4x mil-dot that was sighted @ 50 and firing from an unsupported standing position, so I honestly don't know if it was the ammo not being good quality or just me being bad.

Either way...  Just thought I'd say I'm a fan of the cheapest lead available.  Unless you're gonna load your own and shoot for money, I don't think brass is worth the arm, leg or first born. :p

Sorry but a "headshot" at 100 yards is basically 6-7moa. That is .. not great.

I'd be willing to wager anyone who has ever faced an enemy at 100 yards would beg to differ...  

I probably shouldn't have even commented, though.  I'm not a competition shooter, nor do I have an expensive sniper rifle.  I shoot a carbine with a 3 moa red dot quite rapidly @ life-size silhouette targets. :p  As many rounds down range, on target, as quickly as possible while standing or moving.  Reloads included. When I take my rifle out, it's basically practice for combat I'll probably never see...  But professionals aside, I'd be willing to put money up vs someone out shooting me in a quickfire S/U shootout :p  That's why I like the dirt cheap ammo...  When I plow through 1,000 rounds in a single outing, I'm not that concerned with a 2 moa differential or the occasional drifter. :p

But the original poster was probably seeking advice for the exact opposite application...

Just sayin'...  Being able to hit a head at 100 yards religiously while moving is a better skill to master than hitting a stationary quarter at 300 in a comfy, relaxed position.  

I smell an opportunity :p Lets set this up...  

It's ok Ace, I'm sure you are better shooter then me, and probably better looking too.

However, If you can make 499 shots out of 500 at a 6" target at 100 yards while moving, I strongly recommend you get into the competitive shooting arena. I know for a fact that the top shooter who make a living doing this are not that confident of their shooting and they stop and post up for 100 yard shots off hand. You could be taking their lunch money, dude.

For hitting steel at 200y I use PPU 75gr.  At 200y, there really isn't any ill effect from this ammo and on paper at 100y I have been able to get 1moa 10 shot groups out of my Noveske SPR barrel. 

I also got really goo results from SSA 77gr SMK ammo.

I just ordered CBC 77gr "mk262" clone ammo.  It seems to be getting goo reviews.  We shall see. 

Link? I can see the $375 500rd case on Wideners.  Not sure I want to invest that much until I know if my rifle likes it.  

The CBC stuff is $29.99/50 so its actually cheaper.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/223-556mm-ammo/20-round-box-556mm-77-grain-smk-otm-lr-mod-1-razorcore-imi-ammo-made-israel-m

$14.95/20...  Where have you found the CBC stuff for that cheap?

It's ok Ace, I'm sure you are better shooter then me, and probably better looking too.

However, If you can make 499 shots out of 500 at a 6" target at 100 yards while moving, I strongly recommend you get into the competitive shooting arena. I know for a fact that the top shooter who make a living doing this are not that confident of their shooting and they stop and post up for 100 yard shots off hand. You could be taking their lunch money, dude.

I dunno about better looking...  And i dunno about 499/500 while moving.  That number was for standing, unsupported.  I could probly get at least half in there moving, though...  

Love that stuff and that's a good price. Hopping on it.

Thanks for the tip.