Sign in to follow this  
DanMarvel

FN15 Tactical Carbine

I'm quite sure it's a nice rifle, but you can do a lot better for the $.

We are currently living in the days of plentiful and inexpensive AR's, and AR parts. If you have even a little bit of mechanical inclination, you can build better for less money.

Even a very nice new(or used) factory rifle can be had for much less. More $$ for ammo and mags.

Here is tbe description from Riflegears website :

It talks about the trigger toward the end.... it's just FN s slightly better trigger in these models vs a standard mil spec type. It's not gonna be a Geissele but a nicer factory option

The FN 15™ Tactical Carbine offers the same features as the standard model but has a match-grade free floating, chrome-lined, cold hammer-forged barrel for increased life and easier cleaning.  It also comes with enhancements such as a 3-prong flash hider to reduce flash, a mid-length gas system and H1 buffer to decrease recoil, a Magpul grip, buttstock and M-LOK™ accessory mounting system, and an enhanced combat trigger for smoother pull, a cleaner break and less grit. 

Thanks for the response everyone. Found more info about the trigger:

"ALG Defense QMS single stage trigger with a smoother pull for improved trigger control"

Guess ill keep shopping around. What pulled me towards this rifle was all the glam and glitter that's already on it. I'm fairly new to AR15's so my "gunsmithing" and knowledge isn't up to par yet. Once I saw that it had the M-Lok rail already installed, as well as other Magpul furnitures, I figured I could save the time and headache from having myself install it.

If you know the business end of a few simple everyday hand tools, building an AR is far from headache producing.  The knowledge you gain will allow you to have exactly the firearm you desire for the same or slightly more than the factory "one size fits all" type,

"ALG Defense QMS single stage trigger with a smoother pull for improved trigger control"

The ALG QMS is a $45 trigger upgrade.  Buy a decent AR or build one, and upgrade the trigger.  I have the ALG ACT ($65 upgrade) and it's great.  Better than a stock LPK Trigger, and won't break the bank... 

Guess ill keep shopping around. What pulled me towards this rifle was all the glam and glitter that's already on it. I'm fairly new to AR15's so my "gunsmithing" and knowledge isn't up to par yet. Once I saw that it had the M-Lok rail already installed, as well as other Magpul furnitures, I figured I could save the time and headache from having myself install it.

You still can. Someone new to AR's most likley doesn't know exactly what they want anyway so that whole argument about choosing the parts especially for you goes out the window. That is a nice gun from a reputable manfacturer. If you think you like it and it is in your price range it might be worth it to you to go ahead and just buy it.

Disclaimer.. I built my AR but I wont discount a nicely completed rifle either.

I personally think it's a bit too pricey for a first AR that needs compliance work, but in the end, it's your decision. I went with an M&P 15 for under $600 for my first, and I love it. ARs are simple when it comes to customizing, and Magpul accessories are fairly cheap. So I would personally go that route.

If you shop around you might see it around $1200, sure it isn't as cheap as $600 parts bin specials, and you could probably built it yourself for less, say probably about $1000. Consider shipping on the parts and tools and a highe grade of parts then whatever is on ultra sale right now, there is probably at least $1000 worth of parts.  Handguard $190, trigger, $50, upper and lower $200 (?), a quality BCG $150, barrel $200 (ish), sights $80 .. that is $900 before we talk about stock, recoil system, lower kit, barrel nut, etc.

I think you would have to work hard to reproduce that rifle for less then $1000-$1100, plus tools, plus work. So if that is the rifle you WANT and you can find it around $1200 or so I'd say take it

The thing of it is, if you build it yourself you get to pick ever single part and maybe you would make different choices then FN did, but NJ compliance aside, I don't see a lot of bad choices in that rifle for a general purpose carbine.