gunnarsport

Looking for my FIRST striker fired 9mm....

As I await my permit from Robbinsville Twp (Mercer Co) (which typically takes only 3 weeks), I am shopping for my first polymer 9mm striker fired pistol. I am still a

beginner and still just shoot at the range for fun and I am a lefty shooter.

The candidates so far are.....

FNH FNS-9, S&W M&P, Walther PPQ M2 or MAYBE the Glock 17

Any thoughts and anyone in the Princeton area who would be nice enough to allow me to shooter any of these models?

Thanks!

Michael in Robbinsville

Sig P320

It pains me to say this, but that would be a good choice.  It's modular, so you can change size and caliber.  Plus, it shoots pretty darn nicely.

The Glock 17 is also a good choice, but consider a 34.  It's not only my favorite of my handguns, but anyone who I have let shoot it has loved it. 

Thanks.

No, I have NOT shot any as of yet, just handled a few. I loved the feel of the M&P....so far. Seems like all the internet horror stories about the M&P trigger have been GREATLY exaggarated over

the years. The current production 2015 trigger is perfectly fine.

Yes, the PPQ M2 is very intrguing, its just so damned goofy looking though!

A G17 uses 17 or 10 round factory magazines.  A better Glock option for NJ would be the G19 which uses 15 round factory magazines.  It would be a lot less hassle for you.

As for which pistol to get, they are all fine pistols.  You really need to try them out in person and buy the one that fits you best.  You won't go wrong with any of the choices you listed.  It's all a matter of personal preference.

Texas,

Yes, but unfortunately, the Glock 19 is just a tad too small for my hand, otherwise yes, it would be the better NJ option!

I certainly would rather get a pistol with a 15 round magazine capacitiy, and NOT have a modified or pinned magazine. I know the FNH FNS-9 ships withan optional 3 15 round magazines, which is a HUGE plus with the extra magazine.

Thanks.

No, I have NOT shot any as of yet, just handled a few. I loved the feel of the M&P....so far. Seems like all the internet horror stories about the M&P trigger have been GREATLY exaggarated over

the years. The current production 2015 trigger is perfectly fine.

Yes, the PPQ M2 is very intrguing, its just so damned goofy looking though!

Problems can happen with new guns.  Glock took a big beating when they released the gen 4 pistols.  You'd have thought the world was ending.  They eventually solved the problem and now you don't hear a thing about it.  If there are any problems, Smith will fix them.  I wouldn't worry.

What do you want to use the pistol for?  Self-defense?  If it's for self defense, do you really care what the PPQ looks like?  A gun is just a tool.   Also, several of the pistols (M&P, FNX, Glock) can bought with the slide pre-cut for a red dot sight.  Just something to consider.

Texas,

Yes, but unfortunately, the Glock 19 is just a tad too small for my hand, otherwise yes, it would be the better NJ option!

Yeah, I've had the magazine bite my hand a few times when I"m reloading.  Not often, but it's annoying.  Personally, I don't like the Glock's skinny trigger with that dongle in it.  I find that it bites into my trigger finger a bit after a long range session.

Try a S&W M&P... then try one with an Apex trigger... You'll like it, then love it.  9mm 15 round mags are available occasionally.

Glock 17.. eh... 10 round mags unless you want to get 17 rounders that are permanently blocked to 15.  The Springfield XD 9 and XDm 9 suffer from the same issue.

Walther PPQ and H&K VP9 are good options - people harp on how good the trigger on the VP9 is, but it's not as good as the M&P with a trigger job - though that's comparing apples to oranges.

The SIG P320 is an option that's good if you potentially want to change calibers.  The gun suffers from the same mag issue as the G17/XD9...  unless you get the compact version

Ruger SR9 is an option but you may not like the trigger - I know I couldn't stand it.

I run tbe Apex competition trigger & it takes some getting used to....If you get one just run the stock one until your sick of it

I'm referring to the Apex DCAEK - It reduces the overtravel and has a shorter reset, as well as a smoother, lighter pull.  Not sure how it compares to the competition trigger, but "getting used to it" really isn't much of anything... you actually can feel the trigger more - when the trigger will "break" and the gun will fire, as well as the trigger reset point... 

Alternately you can do a DIY Burwell Trigger job - I have this done on my M&P 9L (was sent in to Burwell)...  I love the trigger pull.  About 3.5 lbs, smooth, crisp break, tactile reset, no overtravel.

The current production 2015 trigger on the M&P has been greatly improved to a point now where that Apex trigger is NO LONGER a must.

I can live with a 10 round magazine, as long as the setup include 3 magazines. I DO NOT want a pinned magazine!

Again, the Glock 19, DOES NOT work for me! If I go with a Glock, it will have to be the Glock 17.

It will be used strictly for range fun, NOT self defense.

The current production 2015 trigger on the M&P has been greatly improved to a point now where that Apex trigger is NO LONGER a must.

True - the newer M&Ps come with the performance center triggers - they're better than the older stock triggers by far, but nowhere near an APEX/Burwell

I'm referring to the Apex DCAEK - It reduces the overtravel and has a shorter reset, as well as a smoother, lighter pull. Not sure how it compares to the competition trigger, but "getting used to it" really isn't much of anything... you actually can feel the trigger more - when the trigger will "break" and the gun will fire, as well as the trigger reset point...

Alternately you can do a DIY Burwell Trigger job - I have this done on my M&P 9L (was sent in to Burwell)... I love the trigger pull. About 3.5 lbs, smooth, crisp break, tactile reset, no overtravel.

O.k gotcha !

If it's for target shooting the glock 34 has quite a few upgrades over the 17 for the money.  Lighter disconnect, relieved slide, adjustable sights.  I really like mine and I have a 19 as well.  

I really hate being on the PPQ/VP9 bandwagon, but I agree on those being my first choices: 

1. adjustable grip size - you mentioned not liking a Glock 19 due to grip size. Both the PPQ and VP9 have adjustable grips to fit your hand.

2. superior triggers - you can't go wrong with either trigger

3. ambi controls - both have ambi mag release and slide stop controls. I'm not a lefty so I can't speak firsthand how well they work. I've read about gripes on the VP9 left-handed slide release feeling flimsy.

4. 15 round mags- They both come with 15-round mags, so you don't have to worry about downsizing to 10-rounders or pinning larger-capacity mags

I'd give P320 an honorable mention due to also having a good trigger and ability to change calibers and different frame configurations, e.g. S,M,L and subcompact, carry, full size, etc. The only problem is that adjusting for grip size isn't as easy as switching out a few panels and involves obtaining and paying separately for different frames, likely without being able to test them out first.

Btw, you mentioned not liking the G19 due to small grip, but I thought it came with beaver tail things that you can attach to make it accomodate larger hands.

Since you're a lefty, the PPQ M1 may be the better option. Harder to find the gun and mags, but more lefty friendly. You may want to PM Sgt Toadette - he's a southpaw and shoots a PPQ M1 in IDPA and USPSA and does quite well.

Adios,

Pizza Bob