gunnarsport

Looking for my FIRST striker fired 9mm....

I have an M&P40 vtac and I have no issues with the trigger. I have shot a number of glocks and would definitely buy a 17 or 34 over the 19 for the same reason. If you're inclined to you can find 15 rd 9mm factory mags for the M&P as someone else mentioned, though it can be a challenge.

As I await my permit from Robbinsville Twp (Mercer Co) (which typically takes only 3 weeks), I am shopping for my first polymer 9mm striker fired pistol. I am still a

beginner and still just shoot at the range for fun and I am a lefty shooter.

The candidates so far are.....

FNH FNS-9, S&W M&P, Walther PPQ M2 or MAYBE the Glock 17

Any thoughts and anyone in the Princeton area who would be nice enough to allow me to shooter any of these models?

Thanks!

Michael in Robbinsville

What did you pick ?

As a lefty, I'm preferential to handguns with symmetrical controls. The P99, PPQ classic and HK VP9 are really the only pistol I know of which are actually ambidextrous.

I've owned and shot the PPQ since it was introduced and am thoroughly satisfied with the design. I do have gripes with the fact that the PPQ M2 even exists because it screwed early adopters with respect to mag availability. Granted, you can use later gen P99 mags (black follower), but you're still looking at $40 plus on a really good day. This is where having a 15 round standard capacity is great, because I can clean my mags when I drop them in dirt.

Had the VP9 been available at the time I was making the decision to purchase the PPQ, I would have likely gone with the VP9 for mag availability and design dedication alone. I also happen to prefer the stock sights on the VP9 better.

From what I've shot of Golf Battery's VP9, I noticed it fit my hand better and shot a hair flatter. I'm still so used to the trigger in my PPQ that I prefer it, but the VP9 is great, too. Keep in mind that the trigger reset on the PPQ is so freaking short it's insane. Make sure you follow through with your trigger press to avoid bumping it unintentionally. I've done it twice in the ~3k rounds I've put through it.

You really can't go wrong with either gun, which probably isn't what you want to hear. If you care about celebrity endorsements, Larry Vickers specifically called the VP9 the best stock striker gun available, citing HK testing protocols. He also mentioned the PPQ as being a good option as well. I have never experienced or seen a malfunction of either gun. If you have any questions about the PPQ or lefty handguns feel free to ask.