High Exposure

USSOCOM Issues Safety of Use Message for EOTech

None of this should come as a surprise. The issues with this optic has been discussed for quite some time.

Some points to consider while perusing:

All optics have parallax to some degree regardless of what the manufacturer's clams are - yes, even Aimpoint.

RDS are not precision instruments

The again, neither is the M4 carbine, M855 Ball (or most any ammo generally fed to a standard carbine), or - and this is the most important factor - the an overwhelming number of end users

There is always, to some extent or another, some +/- in adjustments

Note: The article is too long to post in its entirety. It is good reading though.

http://soldiersystems.net/2015/09/30/something-is-amiss-at-l3-warrior-systems-eotech/

I heard about the temperature shift issues when working with some regional FBI SWAT dudes a while ago. They told me that some guns were tested at Quantico and the change in POA/POI was significant. I was also told that the FBI is now issuing Aimpoint H-1's.

It's not like these issues were a super secret that nobody talked about. It's more that nobody cared. NSW and USSOF used them and killed more people than cancer with EOTechs on their rifles. When the issues were brought up them, the response from that community was often - "the reticle is faster for me" or "they make it in FDE". Okay, got your priorities.

Then again, the individual shooters weren't paying for it, their units had a huge equipment logistics supply for spare optics, batteries, armorers, technicians, and they had a special relationship with the manufacturer that got them preferential treatment when it came to repairs and replacements - again, all on Uncle Sam's dime.

Of course after reading this maybe all those folks who told us that they use EOTechs because "that's what operators use" may feel a little different today. Maybe they will realize that the Aimpoint folks were not lying to them. But probably not.....

We won't see the cold, but the inside of a car can easily get to +122F in the summer.

Once the shift occurs, my understanding is the rifle has lost zero.

This POI shift is also in addition to the other multitude of issues the EOTech has - from battery life, to the engineering of the battery box.

so that basically means everyone that has had an eotech in the trunk on a HOT (120+ degrees F) summer day (or military personnel overseas in the desert) has lost zero?  has this been a known widespread issue in the past? 

kinda strange this comes out now considering how long eotechs have been in use

I think people in NJ should be fine, no?

My problem with eotech has been that I've never seen one actually ... What do you call it ... Oh yeah ... Work. I admit that it might be me cursing them or something but whenever I've seen someone shoot them the batteries go flat or shift or the mounts go pear shaped or something bad happens to them

I'm forced to admit that some of them somewhere sometime must work or they would be treated like BSA red dots by the world at large, but I think the first non breaking one I've seen was last weekend

I have had the same experimce as Vlad. I had an EO (it lives on a .22 AR trainer now - not on something life saving) and our team used to issue EOs on duty guns. We had many many issues with them. Now we issue PROs. I have seen a brand new EO not last through T1 of a 3 day class when it's battery box shit the bed. The optic was a total loss.

As far as I know, Mark only has that optics on his rifle because he spends $$ on his other toys and can afford to replace it and he has had extraordinary luck with it running.

Also he is fastidious with his gear and capable of making repairs to the major EOTech killing culprits on his own.

have you guys seen/experienced failures on the EXPS line?  any particular model that's had problems?  their entire product line can't be bad lol... (i hope)

my EXPS2-0 has been running perfectly fine for the past year or so

Yes.

The old EOs had an issue with recoil killing the springs in the battery box that constituted the battery contacts. So they turned the battery 90 degrees to alleviate the issue, and the EXPS line was born. The problem with that is CR123 batteries are not designed to take recoil impulses along the short axis, they are designed to take shocks along the long axis. Repeated force of recoil exerted to the short axis abuses batteries.

I have seen batteries swell so much they couldn't be removed without surgical tools. I have so seen batteries burst in the battery box with the resulting mess and killing of the optic until it is returned for repairs.

I guess for operators that have to operate operationally, this is definitely something very concerning. And if I were in their shoes, sure, I wouldn't use an EoTech if I had to trust my life on it. As a civilian shooting enthusiast who likes to take training classes, go to the range and participate in matches and whose rifle is most likely never going to experience those environmental conditions because it sits in a safe when not in use... maybe not as important.

I ran an XPS2 for a couple of years. I took some training classes and obviously saw a lot of range time and I never had an issue with it. Never lost zero, never turned off on me while shooting, never had an issue with the battery. I then traded that for an EXPS3-2 and have shot maybe a 1000 rounds through it and again, never an issue. I'm sure if my use case was different like that of a LEO or military personnel, things might be different.

I'm by no means an EoTech fanboy and I do think they are overpriced, but I like the optic. I'll admit though, I have an Aimpoint T1 on my latest go-to AR.

so that basically means everyone that has had an eotech in the trunk on a HOT (120+ degrees F) summer day (or military personnel overseas in the desert) has lost zero? has this been a known widespread issue in the past?

kinda strange this comes out now considering how long eotechs have been in use

I think people in NJ should be fine, no?

Yeah....I think were good here

if you run through a house an eotech helps you get on target fast

Nothing helps you get on target fast if the batteries continuously fail, the optic can't hold zero, or the thing ends up being another piece of useless crap strapped to the top of your junk.

Do enough searching and you will find just as many people reporting issues with Aimpoint sights. I personally had an awful time with Aimpoint customer service. They never answered any request for repair support. I now run irons on all but one, one gun has an ACOG

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk

I understand how it works. In a match I wouldn't use an eotech. I'd use irons or a magnified optic. But if you run through a house an eotech helps you get on target fast

Yeah I don't think you do.  There is ZERO difference between your two scenarios when it comes to aiming. 

Don't take this personally, a lot of people have this misconception that somehow there are these vast differences in how you aim at various targets under various circumstances, but really it is a lot simpler then people realize. 

You need to see ENOUGH information to make the hit you want to make. Sometimes that means keeping down your heartbeat so the little fine crosshair doesn't move to much on that tinny 400+ yard target and some times it means seeing your muzzle vaguely on target because it is only 5 feet away, but you always need to get enough information about the relationship between your gun and the target.  That is all that aiming is, it is a vision game.

The rules of that game include one massive assumption, that whatever you are using on your gun as an indication of alignment is actually consistent enough that it is repeatable and accurate enough to make that shot.  

Note that nothing so far makes any distinction between precision shooting, run-and-gun competition, or clearing your house because it doesn't matter, you still need to see enough to make a hit, regardless of the why and the where. You always want to be on target fast, and you always want to be on target accurately. 

So here is where we get to the fallacy of "eotech is good enough for house clearing" in view of this latest information. If the hologram doesn't display at all angles and it loses paralax, you are not going to see it. If the zero has shifted enough you won't see the consistent relationship you expect if you need to make a tight shot around a hostage. If the batteries have crapped out you won't see anything. 

And here is the final kicker .. in a match if I have a problem I lose some points or some pride and maybe I have to buy the beers. In a some theoretical house clearing if I lose the consequences would be far greater. How the hell do you justify using a substandard product that might fail on you or be inaccurate when you play for all the marbles?

So you don't see the advantage to having the eotech which allows both eyes to be open and all you gotta do is get that big ring around center mass. Compared to a magnified optic where you need proper relief and focus while engaging targets in close quarters?