Sign in to follow this  
Screwball

Bolt Storage in Safe

I have a Liberty Fatboy Jr, which I keep the bulk of my collection in. Half holds surplus ammo (adds weight to the bolted down safe), handguns, and basic accessories/valuables that I want locked up. Other side has some more surplus ammo (used to prop up three shorter long guns) and majority of my long guns. Anyways, I'm in the process of selling a shotgun (which will be replaced by a Yugo Mauser), so I've been going in and out the past two days. I did my best to organize it, but I noticed that the bolt actions are taking up a little extra room due to the handles.

The two bolt guns I own happen to be a M1903 in a USMC sniper setup and a Mosin Nagant PU sniper. As I said, I also have a Yugo Mauser eventually coming, so that will be another one to deal with. Guns like my WASR, Garand, and Yugo SKS have handles sticking out, but can't really do much other than fit them between guns. As it sits now, those are a non issue.

So, I pulled the bolts out and really made some headway with fitting another gun in the back... in turn, giving me more space to fool around with (I use Rifle Rods, so not going to do anything better). The Mauser has a spot where the shotgun was, but I'm thinking about pulling the bolt to keep it a little clearer. None of the guns inside the safe are loaded, and none of the bolt actions will be pulled out and need to be running for defense. They are all recreation rifles.

As it sits now, I just tossed the two bolts on one of the shelves... to put them somewhere. My question is what do you guys use for storing bolts that are not in rifles? I would love to figure something out where I could store them on the door, but have other things up there to not use those full sleeve storage covers. Even just a soft case to hold the three would be nice (I'm not really looking to get another bolt action anytime in the near future).

Thanks, and try to stay dry.

Leave the bolts open and pulled back on bolt guns, Most of the time that will streamline the width of the gun significantly. Not taking them out becomes really important if you have multiple guns with the same type of bolt because you don't want to mix and match and screw with the headspace. 

Leave the bolts open and pulled back on bolt guns, Most of the time that will streamline the width of the gun significantly.

Problem with that is where I have my Mosin Nagant, it is right where the power comes in. Can't move it as it is also in the spot where the cut is on the top shelf, since the rifle is so long. Leaving the bolt to the rear wouldn't work for me.

I'm feeling the best spot would be either the door or the wall near that Mosin Nagant/power adapter. Just unsure on how. I saw Lockdown solutions, which are ok (I have a few of their products already), but don't like the large organizers nor the pistol hangers. Organizers look too big for three bolts, and the size of the pistol hangers makes me unsure if the end of the bolt will stop from falling through (could just sew it to fit).

Shelf works just fine....

It does, but space in my safe is valuable. If I can take three bolts and put them on the door, utilizing as much space as possible.

I bought the biggest safe I could fit through the door... and it is still too small. From many discussions regarding gun safes, I hear that is a common problem.

It does, but space in my safe is valuable. If I can take three bolts and put them on the door, utilizing as much space as possible.

I bought the biggest safe I could fit through the door... and it is still too small. From many discussions regarding gun safes, I hear that is a common problem.