Sign in to follow this  
gunnarsport

What NJ/PA range/club for more casual recreational shooter?

Hi,

At this point, I am NOT into competitive shooting and would rather find a range or better yet a club to join that is NOT heavy favoring competitive shooting. I would

like more a place causal plinking, target shooting and NOT heavily into pushing competitive shooting, I hear that Old Bridge is VERY strongly a competitive shooting

club, so that is really not for me.

Any suggestions? Either NJ or Bucks Co PA?

Gsport. Youre doing alot of soul searching here. Slow down. It seems youre trying to get alot of things figured out in 24 hrs. Just try something and if it doesnt work then move onto the next choice. It seems by your posts youre not really sure what you want Soul searching. I personally think. Try something and if it doesnt work then move onto the next. You went from gotta get a striker fired to a cz. Chill bro. Sjsc pushes noone to to do matches. I think thats too far of a drive for you. Crpc might be exactly where you need to be to start learning and appreciating firearms. Then one year later see if your still into it then make a better choice. I mean you no harm but c'mon make a decision.

Yeah, South Jersey Shooting Club (SJSC) - best of both worlds.

It's outdoors, but all ranges are protected, casual shooting as you request, regular classes,

And there is competition there when you are ready to move on to it.

EFGA

This. Totally worth the drive for me. Half the time you're by yourself shooting at your own pace. Follow the rules and nobody bothers you. Can't beat the price. Only draw back is that they don't allow shooting steel.

I've been a member at Old Bridge for about 3 years. While the club does have alot of organized events/leagues, I have never felt pressured into participating in these events. Since completing probation, I've been mostly a solo shooter. Additionally, when I chose to participate, I found most members to be helpful, encouraging and forgiving of newbies. I never felt any competitive pressure because I wasn't really competing. For me it is more like "organized plinking".

I like having 24/7 access to the indoor range and daylight access outdoors. If I had to come up with something I didn't like about the club it would be: I wish they could move the ranges closer to my house. I'm in Somerset County and the 20 mile ride (each way) is the main issue that stops me from shooting more often.