Sign in to follow this  
jwrAR15

NJ Compliance of AR15 mods; Threaded barrel.

At 53 years old, I've only been licensed for 2.5 years and own a .40 Sig for target shooting and HD.
While at a PA outdoor range, my wife and I rented a bunch of different pistols and a few rifles to feel out what we'd like to own.
The SIG P2022 was easily my preferred HD item. But a basic AR15 won my wife's heart while plinking away, and I so love the look and tweaking ability they have.
In the next couple of months, I'm going to be getting an S&W M&P 15-22 in NJcomp trim (10rd clip/fixed stock, non-threaded barrel and so on) for both of us to use exclusively for target shooting, and I'm making a list of add-ons I'm going to start gathering shortly.

All that brings me to this: NJ law says the rifle can't have a threaded barrel as it already has a removable mag and a pistol grip.
Okay, but what about an adapter that attaches to the end of the barrel with a set screw and has threads to accept muzzle breaks, etc?

http://www.kineti-tech.com/m-p-15-22-thread-adapter/

Would that be considered an NJ illegal mod? Or does it get a pass for not being threads permanently cut into the actual barrel?

The 22LR has near-nil recoil so I don't NEED a break, but the barrel just looks so naked with nothing at the end.

Thoughts?

post-8377-0-41753200-1444483299_thumb.png

I don't know how that would fly here in NJ. I doubt it would be an issue, however, I don't think I would want to find out the hard way.

If you really want a muzzle device on your AR, why don't you send the upper off to Adco and have the thread your barrel, and perm attach a muzzle device on it? Perfectly legal, assuming you choose a comp or a brake, instead of a flash suppressor.

At 53 years old, I've only been licensed for 2.5 years and own a .40 Sig for target shooting and HD.

While at a PA outdoor range, my wife and I rented a bunch of different pistols and a few rifles to feel out what we'd like to own.

The SIG P2022 was easily my preferred HD item. But a basic AR15 won my wife's heart while plinking away, and I so love the look and tweaking ability they have.

In the next couple of months, I'm going to be getting an S&W M&P 15-22 in NJcomp trim (10rd clip/fixed stock, non-threaded barrel and so on) for both of us to use exclusively for target shooting, and I'm making a list of add-ons I'm going to start gathering shortly.

All that brings me to this: NJ law says the rifle can't have a threaded barrel as it already has a removable mag and a pistol grip.

Okay, but what about an adapter that attaches to the end of the barrel with a set screw and has threads to accept muzzle breaks, etc?

Would that be considered an NJ illegal mod? Or does it get a pass for not being threads permanently cut into the actual barrel?

The 22LR has near-nil recoil so I don't NEED a break, but the barrel just looks so naked with nothing at the end.

Thoughts?

Welcome to the wonderful world of ARs! While I understand your desire to get a compliant model, it is not necessary. You can order the rifle you want, have it shipped to a FFL that does compliance work, and have a rifle you can enjoy.

For example: Let's say the rifle you like comes with an adjustable stock, threaded barrel, and a bayonet lug. If you purchase it through a FFL that does compliance work, the FFL can pin the stock where it's comfortable for you and your wife to shoot (no longer adjustable), mill (grind) off the bayonet lug, and permanently attach a compensator or muzzle brake of your choosing. This will allow you have a rifle that is compliant and will have the features you'd like.

I read the OP as he already had bought the ban compliant rifle.

Since OP has not bought the rifle yet, I recommend that he does as ChrisJ has suggested above. Best way to go, and likely the least expensive.

In all honesty, I'd save the money and use it on ammo. There is no reason other than cosmetic appearance that that rifle needs a brake or comp. I have the same rifle, and like you said, it has no recoil whatsoever. If money is of no concern, than sure, why not. But I chose to spend the money on ammo instead. 

In all honesty, I'd save the money and use it on ammo. There is no reason other than cosmetic appearance that that rifle needs a brake or comp. I have the same rifle, and like you said, it has no recoil whatsoever. If money is of no concern, than sure, why not. But I chose to spend the money on ammo instead.

This ^^^

I agree.

Correct... on both statements. :D Just a little eye candy.

Then get what you want through a FFL that can make it compliant. I believe RTSP does that kind of work.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_766348_-1_757786_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

That's a 15-22 with a comp on it already. They could order that one, pin the stock, and pin on the comp if necessary. S&W makes one with a Magpul stock and grip:

811034_01_lg.jpg

It comes in Flat Dark Earth as well:

811035_01_lg.jpg

Tan and black:

811059_01_lg.jpg

...and a few other variations, Go to S&W site, pick what you like, and see your local FFL.

A lot of people in this thread agree, yet it is clear to me that the majority of AR purchases and builds I have seen on this site are based on looks. An when there are threads about comps for ARs, looks usually come up as well. No reason this would be any different. Can't turn it on and off for convenience of making a point, we like firearms to look appealing to us just like we like cars, homes, and girlfriends to look appealing :)

Here is my darn question that I asked years ago. Are tri-lug barrels legal? If they are, and you guys started pursuing it, there are guys (such as TROS and maybe Carlson) that would make you whatever you wanted to stick on the end if you got an order together.

I've sent a note to my local FFL about what compliance work he does, if any.

Going that route, it appears the 811033 version is the way to go. It'll need the stock, compensator and mag pinned to be legal in NJ, but I've found two sellers at $369.

Any ideas what a "going rate" is for the pinning work needed?

Firearm Specifications
  • Manufacturer: Smith & Wesson
  • Model: M&P15-22
  • Sku: 811033
  • Caliber: .22LR
  • Capacity: 25 Rounds
  • Action: Blow Back Semi-Auto
  • Barrel Length: 16 inch
  • Barrel Twist: 1 in 15 inch
  • Overall Length: 33.75 inch Extended/30.5 inch Collapsed
  • Weight (No Mag.): 5.5 lbs.
  • Trigger Pull: 7 lbs. (approx.)
  • Upper & Lower Material: Polymer
  • Barrel Material: Carbon Steel
  • Finish: Matte Black
  • Front Sight: Adj. A2 Post
  • Rear Sight: Adj. Dual Aperture

16010-DEFAULT-l.jpg

post-8377-0-78461700-1444578318_thumb.jpg

15-22 is an expensive 22 caliber rifle. I'd get a ruger or a savage and pocket some dough for the actual AR. I noticed you said you like ARs for the tweak ability. The 15-22 is not an AR it only looks like one. There is no tweaking beyond maybe the stock.

Thoughts?

by pure definition of the law that device is IMO NOT an "evil feature" and thus legal..

an adapter with a set screw is NOT part of the barrel.. it is an adapter.. and you could technically put that on and screw on and off any brake you wanted (no flash hider)

if you permanently attached it to the barrel per ATF standard then it would be considered part of the barrel per ATF standard any likely by NJ standard.. 

this is as far as I am aware untested ground.. but by the letter of the law.. and the ATF standard of muzzle devices in correlation with being considered part of the barrel.. this is LEGAL.. 

at the end of the day it is the ADAPTER that is threaded and not the BARREL.. 

I agree there is no point.. but legal.. 

15-22 is an expensive 22 caliber rifle. I'd get a ruger or a savage and pocket some dough for the actual AR. I noticed you said you like ARs for the tweak ability. The 15-22 is not an AR it only looks like one. There is no tweaking beyond maybe the stock.

this

Well, after much deliberation, calculation and advice, I decided to go with the NJ compliant version (811031). Turns out Bud's offers an LEO discount on many weapons including this one and as a veteran, I qualified for the discount, so I got it for $348 shipped- a $60 discount over the nearest competitor that I could find.

As for the tweaking, I was speaking more of accessorizing...adding components via the Picatinny rails. The supplied fixed stock will stay, but the quad rail is actually removable and replaceable as well. And with the previously mentioned barrel adapter, compensator and muzzle brake options abound. I've also found modified 15rd magazines (using 25rd S&W OE mags), so it'll "max out" per NJ law pretty quick.

I plan to add an A2 handle with scope rail, a 4x15 scope, a muzzle break, some rubber ladders around the quad rail and a trio of 15rd mags. The attached image shows the general look I'm going for.

Thanks for all the replies.

post-8377-0-36472500-1445088437_thumb.jpg