gunnarsport

10 round magazines..unreliable to hard to load?

Hi,

As I have my 2 permits in hand and deciding on a a new 9mm pistol, I have read in another gun forum that factory 10 round magazines can be unreliable and difficult to

hand load. I was told it is always ideal to find a pistol that come standard with 15 round magazines instead of 10. They say particularly the factory 10 rounders that are

available with the Glock 17 to stay away from them.

I was leaning towards the Glock 17, the FNS-9 or the Smith M&9, but all of them I would need the 10 round magazine option.

Any truth to this, or any guys have reliability/loading issues with their 10 round magazines?

PD2K, 

I dont know, I read that pinned magazines will actually be worse as far as reliability issues even more so than a factory 10 round!

If I have my heart set on ONLY a striker fired 9mm, looks like my 3 choices for stanard 15 round magazines are either the Walther PPQ, the HK VP9 or the Sig 320.

10th round is hard to load on M&P 9 mags, BUT, there are 15-rounders available.  If you're stuck with 10 rounders, you can cut down the followers a bit to help ease loading the 10th round.  Also - the use of a Maglula loader can help.

Beretta Px4 10 round mags aren't as bad.  15 rounders are also available...

Never had a reliability problem with 10-round mags. I have them for my Steyr and my Sig. Likewise my son with his M&P. Nick hit the nail on the head - Uplula loader.

Seems like your trying (maybe subconsciously) to sabotage your choice before you even have it in hand. The problem with the Internet is that it gives voice and pseudo-credibility to anybody with a keyboard.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Bob, 

You're right about that for sure, I have a tendency to overthink things, just one of my flaws I always had. Seems like the biggest issue is loading the 10th round more than reliability. I do have the Uplula loader.

I just wonder if the M&P can be ordered with the 15 round magazines, or do you have to purchase them separately.

Wilson recommends that you fully load their mags and let them sit for a couple days. Seems like good advice for any mag. My 10-rounders got easier the more they were used (fully loaded).

Bob, 

You're right about that for sure, I have a tendency to overthink things, just one of my flaws I always had. Seems like the biggest issue is loading the 10th round more than reliability. I do have the Uplula loader.

I just wonder if the M&P can be ordered with the 15 round magazines, or do you have to purchase them separately.

Must be purchased separately.

Personally I find loading the first 9 rounds with the uplula easier and the 10th round I load by hand.  Dunno - that's just me.

PD2K, 

I dont know, I read that pinned magazines will actually be worse as far as reliability issues even more so than a factory 10 round!

If I have my heart set on ONLY a striker fired 9mm, looks like my 3 choices for stanard 15 round magazines are either the Walther PPQ, the HK VP9 or the Sig 320.

No love for the Glock 19 G4 :)

I have not had issues with the CZ or the VP9 10 round mags (loading or reliability).  Pinned mags are typically OK (if they are done right) with one drawback - most cannot be opened and cleaned once permanently pinned/altered.  That said, I have had very few issues with my pinned mags either (i.e. none).  I say get the gun you want and have the FFL pin the mags for you if its over 15. 

Blocking the mag in the base has no effect on reliability or loading them. The spring pressure on a loaded mag, either blocked or not, is the same.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

Every mag the more rounds you put in by hand are going to progressively feel tighter as the spring compresses. Its all in who you talk to, how they load each round makes a difference, I see some weird ways ppl load their mags at the range lol...arthritis? etc etc

Whenever I read about people having trouble loading mags, I try not to judge, I really do, but I don't get it.

I've used 10rd mags, factory ones, pinned ones, new ones, old ones, etc for a few different guns and I've never needed tools.  And I'm a IT dude, not some rough handed sail rigger or something. Using the correct technique (depress top bullet with left hand thumb, slide next bullet over with right hand while applying downward pressure) most people shouldn't have issues loading mags. My 5ft tall wife can do it and she has the upper body strength of one of the grey aliens.

As for reliability, it will depend on who made the mags and how much the thought about it. For example, in my experience 10rd CZ mags are more reliable for longer then the normal factory ones.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen people load an AR mag like a pistol mag (push down and slide back). 

I recommend the UpLula for the pistol mags to everyone, no matter how often or how long one has been shooting.