SmittyMHS

How many is enough?

You just keep buying them like ammo here and there. They sometimes fail with age and over time some are hard to get. Many a fine firearm is rendered useless because there are no mags for loading, or just plain expensive with age, or legislated into never-never land.  You'll see starting in 2017.

Usually 6 to 8 per firearm {I hate reloading during expensive range time} but lately I've been buying some harder to find 15 round mags for my CZ's as T Bill implied...we don't know what the next NJ governor's agenda will be but I'm pretty sure some form of Firearm legislation will be forthcoming,limiting mag capacity perhaps being one of them.

i try to have a minimum of 6 per pistol and 8 per rifle.  (i have more for each, but for me, 6 & 8 is a good number)..  but as others have said, keep picking them up here and there (especially when they are on a good sale somewhere) is always a good practice. 

Some are not as easy to do that with (lets say, as with VP9 mags - $40 per and they dont go on sale often), but others are much easier to do that with (i.e. Beretta 92 mags can be had for $20 regularly, and once in a while can be found for as little as $10 per

I lived through two AWBs. The prior owner of my M11 paid Craig Wheatley to put a STEN magwell on it because there were no mags. STEN mags suck.

Fool me once, shame on you. I have no idea how many mags I have. But I do know this. If you added up all the ones listed in the posts above me, it's not even in the ballpark.

It depends, I have 2 HKs which have really expensive magazines so every time I see them on sale I buy them.  At this point I have 13 for the USP45 (4 10-rounders and 9 12-rounders) and 7 for the VP9.  The same for the PAP M77, I have 7 but they are extremely hard to find.  Other mags that are reasonably priced I don't go as crazy over.

6-8 minimum for each firearm is what I strive for.

When I purchased my first 22LR rifle in 1974, spare mags for it were $2.50 each. I was a kid and did not have extra money so never bought a spare. Now, IF you can find them online, they are $50 for used ones.

I have about 50 for my Speed Six :).

As others have stated, 5 is a good number to shoot for.  For guns you use more often at the range, primary home defense guns, concealed carry pistol (yeah right), and the like, you may want more.  And, it is nice to have dedicated "range" ones and let them wear out.

I have a question, though... How many actually wear out?  Can the springs be acquired and replaced readily and would that essentially make them function like new?  In long storage, or to put away "backup" ones, does anybody release the tension on the spring before storing? 

I dont have a ton for the AR, I only have about 12.  Then again, i haven't had my AR for that long (maybe 6 or 7 months).  I will compile more as time goes by for sure, especially if I end up building another.

I do keep separate mags for SD/HD (2x for each gun) loaded with ammo separately from my other mags that get used for the range.  When I first started out and I didn't have many mags, I was not able to do that (would unload my HD rounds before i went to the range and then re-load them when i got home).  Having dedicated mags for HD is considerably easier.   

Recessed - Small amounts is relative.  If you have had your guns for a longer period of time, its easy to compile 10 or more (pistol) or 20 or more (rifle) over a longer period of time.  For those just starting out or have only been shooting for a shorter time (such as myself - slightly less than 2 years), you start out with a target quantity and then you feel comfortable with what you have.  After that, its about getting them when they are on sale, surplus, deal, etc.  Especially when certain mags are crazy expensive (i.e. HK mags, etc.)