mustang69

STI Spartan 1911 feedback wanted

All,

I'm researching STI 1911's and am looking for feedback from anyone who has experience with the Spartan model.  It seems like the entry-level model, now discontinued, that was built in-house from parts made in the Philipines.  

Anyone have one?  Shot one?  I've read the reviews online, looking for some first-hand knowledge.

Thanks

My buddy has one. For the money it's a ridiculously good deal. Runs like a top and plenty accurate as well. Personally the older style rollmark was a killer for me but, to each their own. Great shooter at a price that if it gets the dreaded "idiot mark" or dropped or, you know, used, you won't pull your hair out.

C

Ever since I got my STI it seems I run into guys who have them and love them. Plenty of Spartans and Trojans out there. I have an STI Lawman and love it. Trigger was nice in the beginning but is really smooth now. Everything else is also solid about it. I highly recommend STI. Oh, and they're a great company who stand behind their work.

I have a Spartan that I purchased in 9mm as I was going to use it as a trainer for new people I take out to the range (mainly my wife and kids).  It runs very well with no hiccups.  1911 chambered in 9mm tend to be picky so I use Tripp Cobra & Metalform mags.  No issues feeding with either one.

As mentioned before, if you drop it or mark it in any way, it isn't that big of a deal.  The finish is a parkerized finish which isn't my favorite and I was not a big fan of the giant rollmarks but at that price, I'll live with it.  The fit and finish isn't the best either.

My buddy went to town on it and did some nice custom work to it.  Link to his pictures are below.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/45676-show-us-your-1911s/page-15#entry891667

Even though my original intention was to purchase it for training, I wound up using it more than I thought for competition.  It's a great choice for knockdown steel matches as well as when I want to shoot USPSA single stack minor.