Sign in to follow this  
Silence Dogood

New Jersey State Police Firearms Site - has been updated

Interesting to note the 'broken language' under one of the FAQs - it seems to indicate that even the State Police are not necessarily clear on the law:

3.  How do you buy rifles and/or shotguns, including bb, pellet, and black powder rifles?

It is the responsibility of the seller of the shotguns, including bb, pellet, firearm to ascertain that the buyer has a and black powder rifles? Firearms Purchaser Identification Card plus one additional form of photo identification and a completes Certificate of Eligibility. The information contained on the Firearms Purchaser Identification Card must match the identification of the transferor. A Certificate of Eligibility can be obtained at any licensed firearms dealer, or this web site.

It may be that I haven't read this before, but lot of misinformation..  In summary, its same anti 2A rhetoric. 

----------------

"Individuals must be fingerprinted when applying for a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card or a Permit to Purchase a Handgun."

So now towns can refer you to NJSP site telling you that you need to be fingerprinted for every P2P

-------------

"Ammunition must be transported in a separate container and locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported. "

Reinforces misinformation (?) around keeping ammo in a separate container AND locked in the trunk

--------------

And I wish they accurately answer this question

"How do I apply for a permit to carry a handgun?" - No, you dont. 

from the new Frequently asked Questons FAQ #6-

How do you transport firearms?

Firearms shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported.

Ammunition must be transported in a separate container and locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console

I thought locked was for into/thru NJ(FOPA)...is this now within NJ too? same old confusion...

from the new Frequently asked Questons FAQ #6-

How do you transport firearms?

Firearms shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported.

Ammunition must be transported in a separate container and locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console

I thought locked was for into/thru NJ(FOPA)...is this now within NJ too? same old confusion...

That's been the law....if you have a pickup truck/suv/hatchback that doesn't have a separate lockable compartment (trunk) firearm is supposed to be locked while transporting in state....fopa is for interstate travel and firearms locked even if in a locked compartment seperate from passenger compartment (trunk)

That's been the law....if you have a pickup truck/suv/hatchback that doesn't have a separate lockable compartment (trunk) firearm is supposed to be locked while transporting in state....fopa is for interstate travel and firearms locked even if in a locked compartment seperate from passenger compartment (trunk)

Nope.  That is not NJ law.

NJ law says:

2C:39-6(g) "All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.”

NJ law says:

• "unloaded", not "separate from ammo" (common misconception)
  • in a closed and fastened case OR locked in trunk. Locking it in the trunk or putting it in a locked box is not required.

It's FOPA that says "separate from ammunition" and "locked".  That applies if you're traveling through a state.  NJ law applies when transporting within the state.

Nope.  That is not NJ law.

NJ law says:

2C:39-6(g) "All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.”

NJ law says:

• "unloaded", not "separate from ammo" (common misconception)
  • in a closed and fastened case OR locked in trunk. Locking it in the trunk or putting it in a locked box is not required.

It's FOPA that says "separate from ammunition" and "locked".  That applies if you're traveling through a state.  NJ law applies when transporting within the state.

Thankyou, thats what I was thinking of. Seems maybe the NJSP just got lazy & copy/pasted the FOPA reg or they replaced the (current?)above law intentionaly, they have been known to try and re-word the law themselves.... Or they just fukd it up. 

Did they clear up the issue of hollow points with this statement?

"Provided certain conditions are met, a sportsman may transport and use hollow point ammunition. There are no restrictions preventing a sportsman from keeping such ammunition at his home."

I too, am confused about this statement. Since when does it have to be locked container?

"The firearm should not be directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console.

I apologize if this has been clarified.

S.

PS: Someone should email the SP and tell them their website is wrong and misleading.

And the fact that even our state police are making up laws that don't exist on their firearms mis-information page.

Aren't we propagating this by continuing to describe what they're making up as laws? What is on the website is not the law. It is the SP's incorrect interpretation of NJ's already confusing laws.

The shame if it is that their website should be the one place folks can look to for proper interpretation and guidance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did they clear up the issue of hollow points with this statement?

"Provided certain conditions are met, a sportsman may transport and use hollow point ammunition. There are no restrictions preventing a sportsman from keeping such ammunition at his home."

I too, am confused about this statement. Since when does it have to be locked container?

"The firearm should not be directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console.

I apologize if this has been clarified.

S.

PS: Someone should email the SP and tell them their website is wrong and misleading.

Do it

Few months back, I sent an email to Gov office asking for clarification on motorcycle transport  of long guns WITH  FPID.  I got a call from NJSP and person on the phone told me that I have to follow 2C:39-6(g) EVEN WITH FPID. 

I then sent a followup email to NJSP quoting various sections of firearm laws and why someone NEED NOT follow 6(g) having obtained FPID (for long guns).  Crickets, no response. 

I do not believe its ignorance. They are smarter than that.  Its deliberate. 

Few months back, I sent an email to Gov office asking for clarification on motorcycle transport of long guns WITH FPID. I got a call from NJSP and person on the phone told me that I have to follow 2C:39-6(g) EVEN WITH FPID.

I then sent a followup email to NJSP quoting various sections of firearm laws and why someone NEED NOT follow 6(g) having obtained FPID (for long guns). Crickets, no response.

I do not believe its ignorance. They are smarter than that. Its deliberate.

Now this is upsetting. Did you follow up?

Thank you for your initial efforts

Few months back, I sent an email to Gov office asking for clarification on motorcycle transport  of long guns WITH  FPID.  I got a call from NJSP and person on the phone told me that I have to follow 2C:39-6(g) EVEN WITH FPID. 

I then sent a followup email to NJSP quoting various sections of firearm laws and why someone NEED NOT follow 6(g) having obtained FPID (for long guns).  Crickets, no response. 

I do not believe its ignorance. They are smarter than that.  Its deliberate. 

I also received a phone call from NJSP on a question I had submitted in the same way.  My question was about whether denial of a carry permit would effect future FID or P2P applications.  I assumed the phone call was to ensure that there was no record of the answer I received. 

Keep in mind, the answer on how the state is interpreting the law should come from the NJAG.  It's probably being fielded by the NJSP so they can avoid giving an "official" answer that might come back to bite them later.  They can just say that that officer wasn't authorized to give legal advice.

There is no issue and no confusion about where and when you can possess hollowpoints. The law is as clear as it is for handguns, and quite similar.

Not among us, but definitely among law enforcement.   My daughter did an internship at the NJAG's office some years ago and they are definitely under the impression that hollowpoints are illegal.

There is no issue and no confusion about where and when you can possess hollowpoints. The law is as clear as it is for handguns, and quite similar.

I didn't see any mention that retired police officers couldn't carry hollowpoints in contrary to federal LEOSA legislation. Maybe NJ has finally accepted that they can't restrict that for RPOs