Alex V

SureFire Warden - Legal/Illegal?

Looks like it's an attachment to the SOCOM series Brakes and Flash Hiders.

Not sure of the legality but the description says:

The SureFire Warden Blast Diffuser directs the concussive blast of the muzzle forward of the weapon system and the shooter instead of venting to the side as seen with stand-alone muzzle break devices. This aids in reducing the overpressure and flash felt by others to the immediate left and right of the shooter’s firing position.

Not sure if that's technically hiding the flash... I want to say no, but IANAL...

I would be concerned that the Surefire fast attach system could be interpreted the same as a threaded barrel and that there is a suppressor available designed specifically for surefire brakes QD mounting system.  Technically, it should be legal but in NJ, who the hell knows.

Would have to be permanently attached. Otherwise it would be a threaded barrel.

If the original muzzle brake is permanently attached, why does this thing have to be? Doesn't it thread onto threads on the muzzle brake? I don't know much about these tactical compensator devices but when do muzzle brakes have threads on them?

If the original muzzle brake is permanently attached, why does this thing have to be? Doesn't it thread onto threads on the muzzle brake? I don't know much about these tactical compensator devices but when do muzzle brakes have threads on them?

Good points

I'm assuming there is something like an Ajax thread on the brake for this device to thread onto. Once your brake is permanently attached (as required) it becomes the barrel. If the brake has an external thread you now have a threaded barrel. Unless you get rid of one of the other evil features, you are in violation.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

It looks like it has the same attachment type as a Surefire Suppressor.

If that's the case there are no threads involved. It tightens up on a locking ring on a proprietary muzzle device - either brake or flash hider.

This exactly.  There are no threads on the brake itself.

SF-223-MUZZLEBREAK-2.jpg 

I'll say illegal because it looks to cool for NJ. :). In all seriousness. I'd be careful because it says reduces flash. The sentence most likely means to the those on your side but may not. Anything that says reduces flash, even with a particular qualification, I'd be nervous to have in NJ.

I'll say illegal because it looks to cool for NJ. :). In all seriousness. I'd be careful because it says reduces flash. The sentence most likely means to the those on your side but may not. Anything that says reduces flash, even with a particular qualification, I'd be nervous to have in NJ.

Good point

The only one I can think of that does is PWS for their FSC556.

I'd be curious as to the date on that letter. With the AWB sunsetting in 2004 there is no need for a federal agency to define something that is not affected by federal law. I'm thinking the letter dated from the period of the AWB (1994 - 2004) and you probably would not be able to obtain a similar letter for components designed after 2004.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I'd be curious as to the date on that letter. With the AWB sunsetting in 2004 there is no need for a federal agency to define something that is not affected by federal law. I'm thinking the letter dated from the period of the AWB (1994 - 2004) and you probably would not be able to obtain a similar letter for components designed after 2004.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I'm pretty sure you are right. However, I don't think any manufacturers bother anymore given its on an NJ issue I believe.

If you watch the video, it appears the SOCOM suppressors will also mount to this brake. This (if true) would be a bad move in the PRNJ! 

Please, someone else watch this video and tell me if I am wrong! Go to the site below and click on the first of the three videos.

http://www.surefire.com/sfmb-556-1-2-28.html

Yes, as I stated above this Warden uses the same attachment type as Surefire suppressors. So what? The law covers exposed threads on the end of a barrel or muzzle devices.

Many suppressors will fit different muzzle breaks using friction mechanisms or locking collars - the Gemtech Halo will fit the FSC556 for example. It's still good to go as a muzzle device.

Yes, as I stated above this Warden uses the same attachment type as Surefire suppressors. So what? The law covers exposed threads on the end of a barrel or muzzle devices.

Many suppressors will fit different muzzle breaks using friction mechanisms or locking collars - the Gemtech Halo will fit the FSC556 for example. It's still good to go as a muzzle device.

Very true

I'm not a lawyer and I am not sure one could tell you what muzzle devices are / aren't legal in NJ.  Calling the law ambiguous is kind.  The description says this:  reducing the overpressure and flash 

You go with what you are comfortable with.