gunnarsport

Are you content with 10 round magazine 9mm?

Hi,

As I have 2 permits in hand, I plan to do some in store shopping this week and compare and feel and handle several 9mm striker fired pistols, namely the HK VP9, Canik TP9SA, Smith M&P and the FNH FNS-9. These are the 4 I think I have narrowed my choice down to. However, only two are available with a 15 round magazine and that is the M&P and the HK VP9. The Canik and the FNS-9 I would have to settle for the 10 round option.

(By the way, I eliminated the PPQ and Glocks. The PPQ is just too damn toyish and cartoonish looking and the Glock"s grip DOES NOT work for me.)

On several other of the on-line gun forums, all the Non New Jersey residents tell me why would I even consider a 9mm that is only available with 10 rounds? That I should

buy a 9mm with the most NJ allows, the 15 round magazine. Why not get the largest round possible magazine that nj allows. they all say.

So my question is are most guys here perfectly content with their 9mm's with 10 rounds magazines?? Am I selling myself short by considering a 9mm with only a 10 round magazine available?

All other things being equal (i.e. fit, accuracy, etc.), I would always prefer more capacity than less.   My SIG P226 came with 15rnd mags standard. When the NJ legislature was threatening A2006 a year or so ago, I had already purchased several other 15rnd original SIG factory mags for it.  Those mags suddenly decided to take a "vacation" in FL, and were replaced temporarily by two SIG 10 round original mags.

Thankfully, I. my P226 and all the mags are now permanent residents of FL, so no issue for me. But yeah, capacity is a good thing, especially when you need it!

I have the M&P9 for a few years now. It started as a range toy and was completely happy with the 10rd mags. But one I started using it for matches, it became apparent that the larger 15rd mags would come in handy. If you're just using it as a range toy, 10rd mags are just fine. You'll go through Ammo a little slower and you'll get to practice your reloads more often. If you're looking for a HD handgun, 10rds are fine but if you have the option to get a larger capacity mag, then why not?

What's your price range? If you're looking strictly at striker fired, have you considered a Sig P320? They come with 14rd mags.

howard,

Why the hell do I need to "learn how to reload quickly" if it is solely an occasional fun range gun and not competing?? How is that relevant??

Because it is a good skill to master as you never know when you might need to use it.

howard,

Why the hell do I need to "learn how to reload quickly" if it is solely an occasional fun range gun and not competing?? How is that relevant??

That's like saying why should you learn how to correct a car skid, drive though snow, or recognize hydroplaning when you only plan to drive a car on sunny summer days.

Because it is a skill worth pursuing and one day you might need it.

Why should you learn how to be a good golfer when you can just hit balls at random. Why learn how to hit a basketball instead of just bouncing a ball?

Why learn how to reload quickly? Because one day your gun might jam after one round fired, and you really need to get more in there RIGHT NOW. Because maybe one day you'll hit the mag release when you don't mean to.

On the other hand, if you just enjoy plinking at targets why worry about a 9mm? .22 is cheaper. So are pellet guns.

I don't like 10 rd mags as they have a tendency to be very tough to get that 10th round in. That goes for fully loading any magazine.

I like the M&P, but the VP9 looks like it's a PPQ made by H&K.

Edit: I have a PPQ and love it.

That's true, I forgot about that. Doesn't the 10 round magazine limit go into effect January 1st?

Was any such change passed recently? Or, perhaps, by EO?  I hadn't heard of it passing. And if it had, I'm certain Ant would have been sounding off about it on GFH radio! 

But yeah, as soon as CC is no longer gov., whomever replaces him (most likely Sweeney or Fullop) will implement that "job 1." 

Not that it matters to me anymore, but it would still be tragic. :facepalm:

you are wrong.....

Yes, he is...  In a home invasion scenario, you want as much capacity as you can get without distraction. Those extra 5 rounds might just make the difference, someday. 

Moreover, the political impact of having something like that passed and implemented is a critical blow to the pro-2A struggle in NJ.