Sign in to follow this  
rlrock

Broken grip screw

I need some help please. The screw broke off when I was installing a grip on my EAA Tangfolio Witness Match. I cannot get the rest of the broken screw out and the metal on the Witness seems soft. I think once the screw is removed that I will need the hole rethreaded.

How hard is all this to do? Or should I go to a gunsmith.

Thanks.

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that a 1911? If so, heat up the grip stud and get a decent pair of pliers and remove whole stud. It has prob got lock tite on threads which is why you have to heat up. Cheap and easy to replace. They have screws an studs at Brownells.

Is that a 1911? If so, heat up the grip stud and get a decent pair of pliers and remove whole stud. It has prob got lock tite on threads which is why you have to heat up. Cheap and easy to replace. They have screws an studs at Brownells.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just be careful. You screw up the threads on the frame and you're in a bigger jam.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If the frame is not plastic, usually the studs are softer than frame. Haven't messed up one yet.

Just be careful. You screw up the threads on the frame and you're in a bigger jam.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How did it break, by which I mean is it broken enough that you can get the grips off? Did the entire screw head come off? If you can get the grip off, you should be able to VERY gently cut a slot into the remaining bit of the screw and try to remove it. You could also try to drill it out very carefully with a drill bit smaller then the diameter of the screw, which should weaken it enough to get it out. You could try JB welding a nubbin on it that you could grab with plier. Is the screw extending past the frame on the other side and can you grab onto that?

I have tried cutting a slot in the exposed part of the screw that is sticking out. I applied WD40 and have let it sit there for a day. I think the screw threaded in wrong and that's how it snapped.

I have to buy a screw extractor from Home Depot and see if that works.

I might need to get hex screws to replace the factory ones and see if I can rethread the gun that way.

I have tried cutting a slot in the exposed part of the screw that is sticking out. I applied WD40 and have let it sit there for a day. I think the screw threaded in wrong and that's how it snapped.

I have to buy a screw extractor from Home Depot and see if that works.

I might need to get hex screws to replace the factory ones and see if I can rethread the gun that way.

You would be better served by Kroil or similar penetrating oil. Also, if there's enough of the screw to grab on to, a pair of vise grips might be helpful.