ken1107

Some advice please

Hi everyone. So I recently got my FID and 3 permits, needless to say I am new to this scene and absolutely loving it. I got my VP9 as my first purchase and looking to burn my second permit, but it has been a very tough decision, so hopefully someone more experienced can chime in and make the decision easier.

I am tossed up between the following pistols:

Springfield XD MOD 3” Subcompact 9MM

Glock 19 G4

CZ P-07 3.8”

Sigpro 2022

I mainly plan on using them as home defense and range shooting. I am trying to keep it budgeted as the holidays are coming near, so even if you know of a used one, I may be interested. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Springfield XD MOD 3” Subcompact 9MM

Glock 19 G4

CZ P-07 3.8”

Sigpro 2022

First, avoid the sigpro. Not worth even looking at it.

Secondly why are you looking at compact guns? This is NJ so you don't get to carry it, so go to a full size gun which are always easier to shoot and shoot accurately then the compacts with short sight radius, snappier recoil, smaller grips, etc.

Go to rtsp and rent a Sig P320. trigger is closer to VP9 if your looking at striker fired handguns. Another recommendation would be a Walther PPQ. IMO better than my VP9. I believe RTSP has most of these guns in rental and if you rent one you can swap it for another in same caliber for no up charge. Do yourself a favor and go when they aren't crazy busy so you get the time to hold them before wasting ammo on them. 

G19...prob one of the most popular compacts w/factory 15rnd there is. So easy to shoot and can be broken down to clean in literally less than 2 seconds. Rent one to see how it fits, just remember that rentals get abused daily lol.

First, avoid the sigpro. Not worth even looking at it.

Secondly why are you looking at compact guns? This is NJ so you don't get to carry it, so go to a full size gun which are always easier to shoot and shoot accurately then the compacts with short sight radius, snappier recoil, smaller grips, etc.

So what? Just because we're in NJ doesn't mean we should constrict ourselves even further by shying away from an entire class of gun. Maybe smaller grip is what one likes. Maybe one will carry it at home and/or place of business. Tons of variables, but don't shy away from a (sub)compact just because of where we live. Learn to shoot a subcompact with control and you'll be able to shoot anything.

I agree with those that say get a full size gun, after all even if you could carry, you have told us it is a range toy and an HD gun.  Thus, why not get one that has a longer sight radius as you will be more accurate with it.  That said if it is truly for HD use I would suggest a Glock, either a G17 or even a G34.  They always go bank when you want and are easy to work on.  If you want something metal the CZ75B is a great option as well, especially if you don't have large hands.

So what? Just because we're in NJ doesn't mean we should constrict ourselves even further by shying away from an entire class of gun. Maybe smaller grip is what one likes. Maybe one will carry it at home and/or place of business. Tons of variables, but don't shy away from a (sub)compact just because of where we live. Learn to shoot a subcompact with control and you'll be able to shoot anything.

You do whatever you want, the man asked for advice and I offered it. 

I have yet to meet a single person that shoots a compact or subcompact as well as they can shoot a full size gun, or at least not if they are good at shooting handguns, I suppose someone can be equally terrible with both.  Telling a relatively new shooter to use a small gun is generally a disservice.  The OP already stated that the primary uses are home defense and range shooting, not carrying in a place of business. I can make up all sorts of scenarios in which something is better then other, but given the parameters provided small guns are a bad idea. 

You feel free to disagree if you wish. 

You do whatever you want, the man asked for advice and I offered it. 

I have yet to meet a single person that shoots a compact or subcompact as well as they can shoot a full size gun, or at least not if they are good at shooting handguns, I suppose someone can be equally terrible with both.  Telling a relatively new shooter to use a small gun is generally a disservice.  The OP already stated that the primary uses are home defense and range shooting, not carrying in a place of business. I can make up all sorts of scenarios in which something is better then other, but given the parameters provided small guns are a bad idea. 

You feel free to disagree if you wish.

I already did which is why I posted lol. And I understand what you're saying lots of factors on both sides... All I'm saying is one shouldn't restrict themselves from getting a (sub)compact based on "living in NJ cause it can't be carried" Which was your opening statement. 

Shrug.

The entire point of making handguns smaller is to allow them to be carried discreetly.  There is no other upside to reduced size, it reduces capacity, it increases felt recoil, reduced sight radius, reduce ballistic performance,  reduce grip surface available for shooter to gun contact, etc.   Seeing how their one and only upside is not relevant in NJ given our current laws, it makes no sense to recommend one to a new shooter (I'm assuming the OP is new based on his recent FID, for all I know he could have 20 years behind the gun, but then I doubt he would be asking for advice).  

Unless your really want one based on how they look, because there is nothing wrong with that, but one needs to understand the downsides. 

I would suggest a full size gun as well. My first gun was a Glock 23. I shot the heck out if it until I bought a 1911. Then I got another 1911, a CZ75, another 1911,... Needless to say, I don't shoot the Glock at all anymore. I have much better options for a day at the range.

If your looking for a .9mm then my vote would be for the CZ. For .45 I would obviously go with a 1911. There are lots of other options out there of course, those are just two of my favorites.

Thank you all so much for the insight. I have been shooting prior to my FID, not a lot but enough to be considered above a newbie. I do eventually want to get my CCP for other states and don't mind a compact (I also have small hands). There were no bad advice givem here and believe me I take everything into consideration and learn from it. I am a frequent at rtsp and have gone quite a bit learning my vp9, and have rent a few while there, but because they were rentals, it has been through quite a lot. I have shot every gum on the list except for the sp2022, but most people say I can't go wrong with a sig.

Go to rtsp and rent a Sig P320. trigger is closer to VP9 if your looking at striker fired handguns. Another recommendation would be a Walther PPQ. IMO better than my VP9. I believe RTSP has most of these guns in rental and if you rent one you can swap it for another in same caliber for no up charge. Do yourself a favor and go when they aren't crazy busy so you get the time to hold them before wasting ammo on them.

For my first I was very torn between the vp9 and the ppq. It took a while to decide, but through reviews and advice from people at rtsp I chose the vp9, only because it was able to shoot more brands of including the cheaper ones. However, the ppq has the best trigger which I agree.

Not sure if you're aware, but a single gun rental payment at RTSP will let you use any gun they have in the same caliber as long as you buy the ammo.

I'd recommend going with a full(er) sized hammer fired DA/SA gun as your second for variety. I can't comment on the CZ or Sigpro not having shot them, but I highly recommend a Sig P226 or P229 for this purpose. Since you have a VP9, I don't see the point at this time for a Glock 19 and I'd rather have a PPQ if you want a compact striker-fired polymer gun.

You may not currently have a need for carrying a gun, but things change:

1. home carry - you might want to carry around the house. Call me paranoid, but I always have something on me when answering the doorbell. Anecdotally, it seems home invasions always begin with the doorbell. But it just seems like overkill to put on a tactical vest and have an AR in low ready position when answering the door. A subcompact in a single clip kydex holster or pocket gun is much more convenient and discreet.

2. non-resident CCW- perhaps you travel to a state where a non-resident CCW is honored, e.g. FL, UT permit for DE, TX permit for PA, etc.

3. maybe you travel to constitutional carry states

4. perhaps a move to a free-state will happen in your future?

But having said all that, Vlad is right. Smaller guns aren't as easy to shoot and generally not "fun". But given an upcoming move to PA in the next few months, I'm glad I own a few and trained on them. So while I woudn't rule out subcompacts and smaller guns, I would wait until you get to the point where you don't consider yourself a newbie. Not that you need to be at Delta Force commando level or anything, but they will really open up flaws in your shooting and can be frustrating.

If it's going to be a range toy and HD. A potential option to shoot for is a full size cz75 or SP-01 then also get the kadet adapter. Kadet doesn't need a p2p so that saves you some hassle and you can get 2 guns basically in under 30 days. It's much more reliable than most other drop in solutions. I love my setup on my sp-01 tactical. Otherwise, G17 or G19 is simply the easiest way to go and has the best aftermarket suppose if you decide to spruce it up.

Not sure if you're aware, but a single gun rental payment at RTSP will let you use any gun they have in the same caliber as long as you buy the ammo.

I'd recommend going with a full(er) sized hammer fired DA/SA gun as your second for variety. I can't comment on the CZ or Sigpro not having shot them, but I highly recommend a Sig P226 or P229 for this purpose. Since you have a VP9, I don't see the point at this time for a Glock 19 and I'd rather have a PPQ if you want a compact striker-fired polymer gun.

You may not currently have a need for carrying a gun, but things change:

1. home carry - you might want to carry around the house. Call me paranoid, but I always have something on me when answering the doorbell. Anecdotally, it seems home invasions always begin with the doorbell. But it just seems like overkill to put on a tactical vest and have an AR in low ready position when answering the door. A subcompact in a single clip kydex holster or pocket gun is much more convenient and discreet.

2. non-resident CCW- perhaps you travel to a state where a non-resident CCW is honored, e.g. FL, UT permit for DE, TX permit for PA, etc.

3. maybe you travel to constitutional carry states

4. perhaps a move to a free-state will happen in your future?

But having said all that, Vlad is right. Smaller guns aren't as easy to shoot and generally not "fun". But given an upcoming move to PA in the next few months, I'm glad I own a few and trained on them. So while I woudn't rule out subcompacts and smaller guns, I would wait until you get to the point where you don't consider yourself a newbie. Not that you need to be at Delta Force commando level or anything, but they will really open up flaws in your shooting and can be frustrating.

I have rented their guns. But again, since they've gone through so many hands it's hard to compare them to someone who babies and care for their personal firearms. I eventually will get a P229 and actually fell in love with the legion edition but since price is the factor here I am just looking for something way cheaper. My 3rd permit will go towards a non polymer gun, with the P229 in mind. It just gives me a little more time to save up for it.

Just for my personal knowledge, why wouldn't you recommend it?

QC has been a problem with them over the years. Lots of people had issues with the platform. It is possible they've cleared that up by now, but even beyond that all the gun has going for is price. It is a bit of a red headed step child in the sig family, and the 320 is probably a much better thought out polymer framed gun, although it is striker fired instead of hammer fired. 

I have rented their guns. But again, since they've gone through so many hands it's hard to compare them to someone who babies and care for their personal firearms. I eventually will get a P229 and actually fell in love with the legion edition but since price is the factor here I am just looking for something way cheaper. My 3rd permit will go towards a non polymer gun, with the P229 in mind. It just gives me a little more time to save up for it.

Have you tried a 226? You can get a 226 classic in .22 and then pick up a .9mm conversion later. (For some reason, that's cheaper then buying a .9mm 226 with a .22 conversion. Same exact gun though.

Springfield Range Officer in 9mm for the win.

I can probably write a book as thick as a dictionary why it's a great gun for new shooters, well all shooters really.

A 9mm 1911. Really? :blink: I know a lot of people like them but , it just doesn't seem right to me. Plus I like shooting .45 more.

G19...prob one of the most popular compacts w/factory 15rnd there is. So easy to shoot and can be broken down to clean in literally less than 2 seconds. Rent one to see how it fits, just remember that rentals get abused daily lol.

+1. Love mine. Get a revolver also for shits & giggles.

A 9mm 1911. Really? :blink: I know a lot of people like them but , it just doesn't seem right to me. Plus I like shooting .45 more.

For new shooters that don't reload 9mm is the way to go. The price of .45 at a local gun shop is insane! Last I checked it was around $35 for a box of 50 witch lasts around five minuets at the range. The price alone will turn that beautiful .45 into a safe queen real quick and may steer some people away from shooting all together.