Xchange1980

Denied by NICS how so??

So quick preface. I just moved in Sept so I put in for a change of address on my FID and figured id get some handgun permits. It took 42 days(not the best but considering my initial FID took 5 months im ok) SO I get the call to pick everything up on Wednesday. Fast forward to today and I go to buy my handgun and guy says your NICS is coming back delayed,he said you can wait or ill call you. 7pm comes around and they close at 8 didnt hear anything from them so I call and he tells me my NICS was denied?? Im just baffled how this could happen. There is NO reason it should have gotten denied. Now they gave me a NICS Denial Request form which I have to mail to the State Police so they can tell me why I got denied.   :nono:

coming from having the same experience you were not denied. About 3 weeks ago I also purchased a handgun and they ran me through the computer at around 7:30 and I was denied twice I think but the third time it finally went through. you have to try and go back again in the morning and hopefully it'll work.

As a dealer, I would not run a person a second time. It is up to the Denied to ascertain why. It could be a revoked DL, outstanding parking tickets, a warrant, an old TRO, or a mistake.

If youre really a good guy. With no bs going on. It could be as misfortunate as an oversite from someone that has your same name or close ss number. I am delayed everytime at least 45 mins beacause of my name. I have the same first last and middle name as my father and he has a ccw license in florida where he lives now. He was prior nj so hes still in the nj system and or federal system.

Its a pretty f'ed up system when the state gives you a license after they supposedly check you out and then your check fail.

I wonder if the change of address is what is throwing a red frag as in maybe the town knows but the state police doesn't?

Obviously you have to follow up and as much as it sucks I would actually bring a lawyers on your side, one who knows guns in NJ. It may cost, but this is not a joking matter.

Sometimes this can be due to dealer error. I was told that my drivers license was "expired" since 1999 when it wasn't. (Nothing to do with NICS) Two days later the store called me to come pick up my gun. There never was an explanation about the reason for the problem.

As a dealer, I would not run a person a second time. It is up to the Denied to ascertain why. It could be a revoked DL, outstanding parking tickets, a warrant, an old TRO, or a mistake.

really? having a privilege revoked can revoke your rights now?

really? having a privilege revoked can revoke your rights now?

If your DL is suspended, and you used that as your government issued ID, YES. It was not a valid document to use. The dealer would not know that when they ran the NICS.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

I have bought a gun before with no issues. Nothing has changed I have no record or anything to deny me owning  weapons. I just sent out the request for to the state police today to get my answer why I was denied.  The ONLY possibility is I have a uncle with the same first and last name but different middle names he was a convicted sex offender,but I would think putting my SS# would avoid that. I changed my address with DMV inline a few weeks ago and the day before I went to purchase the handgun I went to the DMV and had it changed on my license. I would like to get a lawyer but I just dont have the extra money laying around to retain one. I guess depending the outcome of this I might have to. I just think its very odd they just issued me my change of address and permits and then get denied

My change of Address was submitted on 9/21 and returned to me on 11/3 I changed my drivers license address maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago online but I had went to the DMV on Thursday to get it psychically changed on my DL everything matched at the point of sale

I am confused here. How did the PD accept your application for a change to your FPID or issue permits with your DL exhibiting your old address? Did they just take your word that you moved? 

ETA: Anyway, if everything matched, that would not be an issue with NICS.

Outstanding parking tickets? The government can get between you and buying a gun if you have an unpaid parking ticket? That has nothing to do with public safety. That's all about control.

This is what happens when you have to ask government for permission to exercise your rights. Think about this the next time you champion right-wing causes such as mandatory E-Verify. You think New Jersey will let you start a job of some municipal clerk made a mistake over a parking ticket or child support payment? Not a chance.

Yes. If you do not pay your parking tickets, you are breaking the law, a warrant will be issued, and you give up your right to purchase a firearm from a dealer. Just stating fact, not opinion.