Howard

Arrest for the 16th round

I don't know the entire story, but the MD at today's USPSA match at Shongum announced this.  The way I understand it (I could have gotten some of it wrong) a master level shooter was returning from a match when his car needed a tow.  The cops on the scene had him get his personal belongings from the trunk when they noticed his gun belt with mags.  They asked him to load the mags, and when the 16th round went in they arrested him.  If anyone has more info on this please share.

Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris try to load a 16th round at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Weak springs or not, the follower should stop the 16th round from loading.  Given the facts as presented, why would the police tell him to take the personals out of the vehicle he owns, and secondly, why would he load mags in front of them.  Something is missing to this story!

That made no sense. He stowed his un loaded gun belt in his vehicle, which was going to be transporting a firearm. The cops who showed up when his vehicle needed a tow asked him to load his magazines.......When they saw he had magazines.....WTF..... I call bullshit.

Not going to comment on the specifics of the story, other than to say that if the cops are having you do ANYTHING with your guns(other than checking for proper storage), lawyer up immediately.   Simply refuse to do anything without counsel present. 

Weak springs or not, the follower should stop the 16th round from loading. Given the facts as presented, why would the police tell him to take the personals out of the vehicle he owns, and secondly, why would he load mags in front of them. Something is missing to this story!

I said the same thing and agree about the follower....but it seems like something is missing from the srory

I wonder if he'll try the Aitken defense. If you recall, Aitken was arrested for high cap mags. The high cap mag has to do more than just be able to hold in excess of 15 rounds. Under the law, it must be able to feed them continuously. When the arresting officer was being crossed by Nappen, he asked the LEO if he had tried the magazines in the gun - when he replied in the negative, he asked him then how did he know if they were capable of continuously feeding in excess of 15 rounds - charges dropped.

Quite common to have your belt with holster and mags loose in the trunk. These are poly reinforced belts with velcro backs that attach to an under-belt threaded through the keepers of the pants. All equipment is left permanently in place and that, and the stiffness of the belt, preclude it being rolled into a compact package. Most just hang them off their range bag or carry over their shoulder. When transporting they are just tossed into the trunk.

Hope something positive happens for this guy - if the story is indeed true - it certainly has the probability to be.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

This sounds like a Hoboken Miracle. Have we ever before heard of anybody being asked to load their mags? Is a "master" shooter not savvy enough to store his equipment in a way that does not attract scrutiny when competing in a place like New Jersey?

If the police see anything gun related, it gives them probable cause for search. Otherwise, you are protected by 4th amendment from warrantless search.

Simply observing a firearm or any if its related items (mags, holsters, etc...) is not PC to search your car without other factors present.

And I am with Newtonian here, something smells off about this.

This sounds like a Hoboken Miracle. Have we ever before heard of anybody being asked to load their mags? Is a "master" shooter not savvy enough to store his equipment in a way that does not attract scrutiny when competing in a place like New Jersey?

In the Aiken case the LEO loaded the mags to ascertain the capacity as >15. What store? He was transporting, the belt was in the trunk.

THIS STORY IS NOT TRUE. I personally know the individual in question and this NEVER happened.

This allegedly occurred last year possibly 2, but it Never happened.

I know the MD and find it hard to believe he would take time during the match briefing to make something up or report something that maybe did not happen two years ago.

I know the MD and find it hard to believe he would take time during the match briefing to make something up or report something that maybe did not happen two years ago.

Howard, I was there too but I recall he said he heard it from someone else in a gun shop.

Simply observing a firearm or any if its related items (mags, holsters, etc...) is not PC to search your car without other factors present.

how does it give them pc?

IANAL, so I'm just going by circumstantially on what happened with the Dustin Reininger case and the gentlemen from Cherry Hill who was jammed for the supposedly illegal shotgun below.

Perhaps the plain-view doctrine combined with NJ assumption of illegality and contraband (e.g. "it looked like an assault weapon", "those looked like high cap mags", "it looked like a box of hollow points from afar") is enough for PC in PRNJ.

Shotgun with a Pistol grip:  http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/21558-shotgun-with-a-pistol-grip/?p=286908

Dustin Reinginer: http://articles.philly.com/2013-05-22/news/39421357_1_firearms-cases-gun-laws-state-supreme-court

Again, IANAL, just going on what seems to have happened in the past.

I can tell you that the CHPD incident had legitimate PC to look into it further. The accused had the shotgun on the front seat and not in a fastened case. The charges were fucked up due to a Sgt who apparently knows nothing about gun laws. So they saved face by dropping the charges. This is second hand info.

i'd completely missed that chpd thread. if the gun was in the front seat as pk says......then well........you know.....we ain't allowed to have em there. i don't personally know any cherry hill cops, but i am familiar with many of them due to working in cherry hill for nearly 20 years. those i know are very competent, and professional. i've watched a couple of them perform traffic stops right in my parking lot, with people screaming at them(ida done some ass kicking for some of the shit i'd seen...but i know cops can't), and remain perfectly polite and professional.

that all said......i guess technically it oculd've been the officers discretion....but that's kinda risky these days.........