EX Carnival man

Lights out by Ted Koppel

I just finished the book Lights Out, by Ted Koppel, (audio version, narrated by Ted Koppel).

He starts off by essentially explaining how computer hacking via the internet is the 21st Century’s weapon of mass destruction.  He goes on to describe a hypothetical scenario where a knowledgeable computer hacker, whether an individual with malicious intent, or part of a state regime that is intent on inflicting severe damage to the US, (such as N. Korea, Iran or ISIS), could hack into key elements, (custom transformers), of our electrical grid and cause tactical damage that could then trigger a domino effect of damage and destruction.  The resulting damage could take anywhere from 6 months to 2+ years to repair with new replacement transformers needing to be manufactured, shipped and installed.  In the ensuing darkened landscape, most people would abandon civil law and order and our society would degenerate very quickly to the survival of the fittest, (those who already have and/or are able to obtain water and food).  The weak, elderly and urban dwellers would be the first to die…). 

His excellent journalistic process of interviews, research and tenacity has revealed that once again, even with wake up calls in the form of the blackout in the northeast back in 2003, followed by Hurricane Katrina, followed by Super Storm Sandy, the vast majority of our States have no contingency plans to deal with a major regional, let alone national interruption of the electrical grid. This should be a wake up call to all of us to not rely on any outside assistance and do what we can reasonably do to prepare ourselves and families with enough water and food to last at least 2-3 weeks and ideally around 6 or more months.  Unfortunately, most Americans will not do this for all sorts of valid, as well as lazy reasons.

The federal government is not prepared for this type of widespread disaster.  Our Federal and State Governments are going to be reactive instead of being proactive for this type of situation. The appointed Dept. heads assume that FEMA can handle it, even though there is NO PLAN to do so....  Essentially, and what I find quite ironic, Koppel’s prediction that it will be the Mormons out west in Utah, as well as in other areas, that will most likely fair the best if the power goes out, since they have been preparing for a sustained self-sufficiency via a very disciplined approach required by all practitioners of their religion. The rest of us are screwed....

This is one of the first books by a respected mainstream journalist to bring this frightening and sobering possibility to the attention of most Americans.

AVB-AMG

I am an Avid listener of late night talk radio (Coast to Coast) they have been warning of this for more then a few years now and even had a movement to get the government to harden our electrical grid... I think it went no place.

There's a great book and Audio book which was about the US getting hit with an EMP... I think it was called one second after... Its Frightening but a great book.

http://www.amazon.com/One-Second-After-William-Forstchen/dp/0765356864

Koppel brings up that book, One Second After, a few times in his book. That will be my next read.

Same here.... I just downloaded it to my iPhone and will start listening to that one this morning

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I thought we were talking about this:

http://www.amazon.com/Lights-Out-David-Crawford/dp/0615427359/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1447268527&sr=8-2&keywords=lights+out+book

I downloaded it when it was free online.  Started reading it but I just cant get into reading my iPad and I am not about to print out 611 pages.  From what I understand it is very similar to One Second After.

Iv been listening to "One year After" over the last 3 days.... Love it....

Never even know they made a sequel. Thanks for the heads up!

You mean One Second After?  One Year After IS the sequel.  

I have One Year After hardcover on the book shelf.  Going to read it on vacation.  Just something about a physical book that is preferential for me over digital media or audiobook. No Idea why.  

Alex:

I share your preference to read the hard cover printed version of any book.

Yet, for a number of us who have lengthy commutes, specifically where we are driving, to and from our places of work, the audio version of a book, if available, allows us to "read" more books than we would otherwise.

AVB-AMG

Alex: I share your preference to read the hard cover printed version of any book. Yet, for a number of us who have lengthy commutes, specifically where we are driving, to and from our places of work, the audio version of a book, if available, allows us to "read" more books than we would otherwise. AVB-AMG

For sure!  I listen to audiobooks at my desk at work.  Listened to the first three books of The Song of Ice and Fire in the last month.  Holy crap!  40+ hours each!  Just saying I still prefer a physical book. When I worked in NYC and took the bus I listened to Howard Stern tho lol. 

Guys- Lights Out, One Second After, One year After- whats linked to what? Looks like a good winter readfest.

Lights Out was essentially fan fiction that hit well. First was disbursed via PDF and later, after many requests it was printed.

One Second After was created after the writer read a report on the vulnerability of the US to an EMP attack and it is actually talked about in the book by the main character.  A few years later he released One Year After as a follow up.

Both stories were inspired by Alas Babylon.  Written in 1959 by Pat Frank.   

Lights Out was essentially fan fiction that hit well. First was disbursed via PDF and later, after many requests it was printed.

One Second After was created after the writer read a report on the vulnerability of the US to an EMP attack and it is actually talked about in the book by the main character.  A few years later he released One Year After as a follow up.

Both stories were inspired by Alas Babylon.  Written in 1959 by Pat Frank.   

Thanx. seemed like that was just making sure before I invested about 3 yrs of reading for me lol.

I do not think "Lights Out" is fan fiction. My take is that it is a well researched question about an important topic concerning the current vulnerability of the electrical power grid in the US, followed by a number of possible "what if" scenarios. For me, it is a very sobering wake up call on what we should and can do individually, as a family, as a state/region and maybe most importantly, as a country, to prevent what could become a real catastrophic disaster.

I do not think "Lights Out" is fan fiction. My take is that it is a well researched question about an important topic concerning the current vulnerability of the electrical power grid in the US, followed by a number of possible "what if" scenarios. For me, it is a very sobering wake up call on what we should and can do individually, as a family, as a state/region and maybe most importantly, as a country, to prevent what could become a real catastrophic disaster.

What I mean by "Fan Fiction" is that it was a per project by an outdoor enthusiast.  It was distributed as shareware for people to enjoy until it got traction.  Then he went to people who knew how to publish books. 

Makes me face the fact how unprepared I am. I could only run 24/7 for about a week if the lights went out now.  If I had a warning that a whole different story.  I highly doubt the enemy we face today will send out a warning before.    

24/7, are you talking about a generator? There is no reason to run 24 hours a day. If you need a fridge/freezer, run for an hour every 5 hours and get your pooping, shower, and well pumping done. If not, run it less.

24/7, are you talking about a generator? There is no reason to run 24 hours a day. If you need a fridge/freezer, run for an hour every 5 hours and get your pooping, shower, and well pumping done. If not, run it less.

If next winter is anything like the last two and the power goes out I'm going to need to run a generator 24hr. My bathroom pipe froze with the heat on 70 on one of the coldest days. last winter. I put the heat up to 75 and an electric heater in the bathroom and opened the faucet. After a few hours water started running again. I live down the shore on the water and the wind that day was bad. In 20 years living here that's the first time that has ever happen. Super storm sandy I ran the generator from 5 PM until midnight than again at 7 am to 10 am.  But the winter down here is a whole different ballgame. If the lights go out, I hope its in the summer LOL.

if you have that problem, turn the water off at the main shutoff or even the street and only turn it on when you need it.

That's a good idea.  When I had the house rebuilt I had the builder put the main shutoff valve in an easy place to get to.  Whenever we go on vacation I always shut off the main water to the house.  My neighbor leaves every winter for Florida. Right after sandy he had his house rebuilt.  Last year he came back in April and couldn't open his front door. When he got it open his downstairs was destroyed.  A pipe broke up in the ceiling.  Even the walls were blown out.  Last winter was a cold one. My wife and I close our Dairy Queen in the winter. Even with an auto backup generator I still shut the main water off here too when we close for the winter.  Water can do A LOT of damage.

That's a good idea.  When I had the house rebuilt I had the builder put the main shutoff valve in an easy place to get to.  Whenever we go on vacation I always shut off the main water to the house.  My neighbor leaves every winter for Florida. Right after sandy he had his house rebuilt.  Last year he came back in April and couldn't open his front door. When he got it open his downstairs was destroyed.  A pipe broke up in the ceiling.  Even the walls were blown out.  Last winter was a cold one. My wife and I close our Dairy Queen in the winter. Even with an auto backup generator I still shut the main water off here too when we close for the winter.  Water can do A LOT of damage.

There's a device you can install called the Water Cop that will prevent that - http://www.watercop.com/

originally posted this in another thread and realize that it is more appropriately located here.
I have now finished reading (listening to the audio book versions) of:

Lights Out: A Cyberattack, a Nation Unprepared, Surviving the Aftermath
by Ted Kopple
https://www.amazon.com/Lights-Out-Cyberattack-Unprepared-Surviving/dp/0553419986/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1479531630&sr=8-3&keywords=Lights+out

- One Second After
by William R. Forstchen

https://www.amazon.com/Second-After-John-Matherson-Novel/dp/0765356864/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479531671&sr=8-1&keywords=One+Second+After

-One Year After: A Novel
by William R. Forstchen

https://www.amazon.com/One-Year-After-Matherson-Novel/dp/0765376717/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1479531671&sr=8-2&keywords=One+Second+After

My synopsis:  Very, very sobering and depressing….

The first is a “what if” scenario of the loss of electric power regionally or even nationally, while the last two are fictionalized novels about the aftermath of an electric magnetic pulse (EMP) caused by multiple nuclear warheads being detonated at a high altitude over the continental United States.  All three present a very sobering, logical, feasible and frightening vision of how our fellow Americans would act and react under such circumstances over a period of several days, weeks, months and finally two years later.  It is not an encouraging story line and very alarming due to the realization that such an event not only could happen, but may possibly happen in our life time.

I know I am not alone here in my frustration with how our American society and culture has devolved over the past 30-40 years.  How the choices of our elected leaders have squandered tax payers money and ignored more important and vital issues.  As well as how our elected officials may possibly be aware of many of these important issues of vulnerability and exposure, but choose to ignore them and do nothing constructive. or selfishly just pursue avenues for their own self-interest.  Looking to our government or commercial private industry to take steps to prevent the adverse effects of an EMP attack, is most likely not realistic.  This may sound fatalistic, but I believe that the vast majority of American’s today are clueless about what could happen and may happen and have chosen to be ignorant.  They are just satisfied to spend their free time when not working to be entertained and, like sheep, just pursue short term gratification by partaking in our out-of-control consumer society, wasting their money buying all sorts of unnecessary crap.  That is their choice and because so many citizens are doing that I think we are totally screwed as a superpower and will continue our downward slide.

Relating back to the topic of this thread, I continue to want to take what I consider the prudent measures in case of a localized emergency event, to hunker down at home (in place), if possible, as opposed to bugging out, with supplies and equipment to last for between 2 weeks, possibly up to 4 weeks.  For most anticipated human caused or Mother Nature caused local or regional disasters, this should suffice.  But after that I am not confident at all that we will survive.  I say this due to these concerns:

- Living in suburban NJ, availability of food will become a paramount issue sooner than in other areas.

- This will be followed by the issue of the availability or lack thereof of safe drinking water.

- The density of NJ will mean that those people who run out of either food and/or water will panic and become desperate and will seek both and do horrible terrorizing things to others to obtain them.

- Even with firearms and ammunition, the number of these desperate people will overwhelm most family’s ability to defend what little they have left.

- Most suburbs are not realistically defendable from the onslaught of desperate refuges from the more urban cities and ring towns and will be overrun by these people.  Desperate former urbanites will become the real zombies attacking others, first in the suburbs and then in the more rural areas.

Unfortunately, there is no happy ending in this scenerio....

AVB-AMG

originally posted this in another thread and realize that it is more appropriately located here.

I have now finished reading (listening to the audio book versions) of:

Lights Out: A Cyberattack, a Nation Unprepared, Surviving the Aftermath

by Ted Kopple

- One Second After

by William R. Forstchen

-One Year After: A Novel

by William R. Forstchen

My synopsis:  Very, very sobering and depressing….

The first is a “what if” scenario of the loss of electric power regionally or even nationally, while the last two are fictionalized novels about the aftermath of an electric magnetic pulse (EMP) caused by multiple nuclear warheads being detonated at a high altitude over the continental United States.  All three present a very sobering, logical, feasible and frightening vision of how our fellow Americans would act and react under such circumstances over a period of several days, weeks, months and finally two years later.  It is not an encouraging story line and very alarming due to the realization that such an event not only could happen, but may possibly happen in our life time.

I know I am not alone here in my frustration with how our American society and culture has devolved over the past 30-40 years.  How the choices of our elected leaders have squandered tax payers money and ignored more important and vital issues.  As well as how our elected officials may possibly be aware of many of these important issues of vulnerability and exposure, but choose to ignore them and do nothing constructive. or selfishly just pursue avenues for their own self-interest.  Looking to our government or commercial private industry to take steps to prevent the adverse effects of an EMP attack, is most likely not realistic.  This may sound fatalistic, but I believe that the vast majority of American’s today are clueless about what could happen and may happen and have chosen to be ignorant.  They are just satisfied to spend their free time when not working to be entertained and, like sheep, just pursue short term gratification by partaking in our out-of-control consumer society, wasting their money buying all sorts of unnecessary crap.  That is their choice and because so many citizens are doing that I think we are totally screwed as a superpower and will continue our downward slide.

Relating back to the topic of this thread, I continue to want to take what I consider the prudent measures in case of a localized emergency event, to hunker down at home (in place), if possible, as opposed to bugging out, with supplies and equipment to last for between 2 weeks, possibly up to 4 weeks.  For most anticipated human caused or Mother Nature caused local or regional disasters, this should suffice.  But after that I am not confident at all that we will survive.  I say this due to these concerns:

- Living in suburban NJ, availability of food will become a paramount issue sooner than in other areas.

- This will be followed by the issue of the availability or lack thereof of safe drinking water.

- The density of NJ will mean that those people who run out of either food and/or water will panic and become desperate and will seek both and do horrible terrorizing things to others to obtain them.

- Even with firearms and ammunition, the number of these desperate people will overwhelm most family’s ability to defend what little they have left.

- Most suburbs are not realistically defendable from the onslaught of desperate refuges from the more urban cities and ring towns and will be overrun by these people.  Desperate former urbanites will become the real zombies attacking others, first in the suburbs and then in the more rural areas.

AVB-AMG

which is why you make sure as many as possible in your neighborhood are "on board".