SmittyMHS

So when you go to the gunsmith, can you bring mine?

Question came up. I don't think I could. Not registered to me. Do the GS check? I mean if the black helicopters aren't following me and call in to check that I have a weapon in my truck thats not registered to me, but my gun is. If I somehow do get to the GS without being stopped. Can they take a weapon thats not mine to repair?

Did I mention I hate this state?

So say you're going to the gunsmith to get your handgun repaired., And your friend asks you to take his handgun also. Thats what I'm asking. Is that considered transferring a hand gun?? What if it wasn't a handgun? A shotgun (that doesn't need to be registered) Lets not make this question any harder then NJ already makes it!

I'm not buying his gun. Just taking it for repair. 

The short answer that will keep you out of trouble:

NO

You can not transport another individual's handgun in your car to a gunsmith - or anywhere for that matter - without them present. Just like you can't take your buddy's guns to te range without them present.

Most likely no one will ever find out what you are doing, but it is a violation of the law as written that can get both of you in hot water.

Just ask your buddy to take the ride with you, or overnight it via UPS/FedEx.

I am not a gunsmith or FFL, but I don't believe they run serial numbers before accepting work.

If some thing seems off, they may contact authorities or refuse service.

They may write them on your work order though....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you decide to take both handguns to the GS and say they are yours, and you leave them there, the GS will log them in their book as coming from you. You then can pick them up another day without a BGC. Just be aware that there will be a written record of the chain of custody, which probably will mean nothing 99.9% of the time.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

Is the firearm legally owned by the person that wants you to take it for a ride to the gunsmith? 

If yes, get a copy of his ownership paper and put it in the locked case on it's way to the smith.  If not legally owned - you get stopped with an illegal firearm and you'll wish you never knew 'your friend'

Is the firearm legally owned by the person that wants you to take it for a ride to the gunsmith? 

If yes, get a copy of his ownership paper and put it in the locked case on it's way to the smith.  If not legally owned - you get stopped with an illegal firearm and you'll wish you never knew 'your friend'

I think thats probably good advice as any.

Yeahs but they aren't going to be run through to see if you are lying about ownership.

Right, I know but they keep work orders and ATF inspections may check them I suppose. Not sure, hence they may. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Even in this day and age, it would be a lotta work inputting all that data unless all gunsmiths keep the same kind of records on the same softwear. Unless ATF was really looking for it I kinda doubt they would bother cross checking.

Ettttt! Incorrect.... Most FFLs I know still just use paper. And for what it is worth, they will scan every ledger in the business. I know, I've seen them do it. What they choose to do with the info is up to them.

Stop trying to justify doing this. Nobody is going to tell you to do it when it is illegal. Nobody is going to tell you it is ok to do this.

I/we will not jeopardize our well being just to make a way for you to do this. So don't. If you do, you do it on your own behalf. Nobody else's.

You were given advice. It will not change.

I'm just  making a comment about what High Exposure posted.. Never said I was gonna do it. Came up in a conversation with my buddy is all. Never asked for your/anyones permission to break the law. or your well being. ??? really???

I appreciate everyone taking time out of their busy day to give me their advice. I'm not looking to break the law or anyones balls.

Stop trying to justify doing this. Nobody is going to tell you to do it when it is illegal.

This

You can do it. You can also scratch off the serial # and sell the gun to a felon.

Are you willing to break the law?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm just making a comment about what High Exposure posted.. Never said I was gonna do it. Came up in a conversation with my buddy is all. Never asked for your/anyones permission to break the law. or your well being. ??? really???

I appreciate everyone taking time out of their busy day to give me their advice. I'm not looking to break the law or anyones balls.

Just trying to keep you out of trouble and enlighten you. You asked.... We all chimed on.

It would be a lot of work to compile all the data and follow the chain of custody to see who had what gun where.

But databases are getting bigger and computers are getting smarter.  Who knows what old data they might be mining in 20 years - once confiscation is over and they're trying to get the last few remaining guns.

I don't know that it will happen but 20 years ago I would have said you were crazy if you predicted the stuff that's happening now.

Forget databases.

What if the guns get stolen from the gunsmith and there is an investigation?

What if your buddy gets involved in an shooting/ND and the gun is investigated?

You are not the only one in control of that firearm.

Why would your risk your freedom or the potential loss of your 2A rights for something so silly.