SmittyMHS

So when you go to the gunsmith, can you bring mine?

And I replied with this.

Seemed to take on a different path after that.

But you ended the response with another question. You are beginning to sound like an undercover anti gunner or undercover ATF agent. Are you? I suggest ending this. You got your answer. Stop beating a dead horse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ettttt! Incorrect.... Most FFLs I know still just use paper. And for what it is worth, they will scan every ledger in the business. I know, I've seen them do it. What they choose to do with the info is up to them.

Stop trying to justify doing this. Nobody is going to tell you to do it when it is illegal. Nobody is going to tell you it is ok to do this.

I/we will not jeopardize our well being just to make a way for you to do this. So don't. If you do, you do it on your own behalf. Nobody else's.

You were given advice. It will not change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This^

In our shop we need a NJ DL to log all gunsmith repairs into our repair book. We will only accept a repair from the gun's legal owner. DL and repair stub plus signature in repair book are needed to pickup after repaired. Just like all A&D books the repair book gets audited by the State Police, and the ATF.

I had 2 special agents from the ATF stop by my house one day and ask to look at some of my guns. Apparently they didn't like something in my FFL's ledger when they were going through it so they decided to swing by my house and verify that I had possession of all of them. Just saying.

In our shop we need a NJ DL to log all gunsmith repairs into our repair book. We will only accept a repair from the gun's legal owner. DL and repair stub plus signature in repair book are needed to pickup after repaired. Just like all A&D books the repair book gets audited by the State Police, and the ATF.

How would you know who the legal owner was unless they told you?

I had 2 special agents from the ATF stop by my house one day and ask to look at some of my guns. Apparently they didn't like something in my FFL's ledger when they were going through it so they decided to swing by my house and verify that I had possession of all of them. Just saying.

Wow ! That's pretty intense ! Did you have to show the guns to them ? Even when everything is okay I wouldn't voluntarily show what I have to the feds. I'm too afraid they'd make up a new law and confiscate everything.

The act of accepting a firearm from someone else without properly transferring that firearm is a crime. It's called an illegal transfer. But I highly doubt the gunsmith is going to check or ask.

If they are a federally licensed gunsmith (not required in all states), they will ahve to enter it into their bound book or equivalent. They will likely ask. 

Wow ! That's pretty intense ! Did you have to show the guns to them ? Even when everything is okay I wouldn't voluntarily show what I have to the feds. I'm too afraid they'd make up a new law and confiscate everything.

I considered telling them to F off and come back with a warrant but I was afraid they would come back with a warrant and 8 of their associates and smash down my door.

They were actually pretty cool about the whole, especially since I happened to be home with my 3 yr old. Apparently I had a couple of lowers, 2 nodak receivers and a long gun. Apparently they suspected me of illegally manufacturing. Either way it was more than a little unsettling, I don't even own that many firearms.

I considered telling them to F off and come back with a warrant but I was afraid they would come back with a warrant and 8 of their associates and smash down my door.

They were actually pretty cool about the whole, especially since I happened to be home with my 3 yr old. Apparently I had a couple of lowers, 2 nodak receivers and a long gun. Apparently they suspected me of illegally manufacturing. Either way it was more than a little unsettling, I don't even own that many firearms.

I'd find a new FFL to deal with if he's transferring firearms to you in his ledger that you don't own. I'd be shocked if he isn't locked up.

A Colt receiver marked AR-15 also does not fit the definition of a NJ "Assault Weapon".

If a person has a Colt AR-15 lower and owned or possessed a complete say Bushy M4, would that be "constructive intent", as parts could be moved from the Bushy to make the Colt

complete???

If a person has a Colt AR-15 lower and owned or possessed a complete say Bushy M4, would that be "constructive intent", as parts could be moved from the Bushy to make the Colt

complete???

i think you would be ok because nobody in their right mind would think you'd put POS bushmaster parts on a quality colt lower.

i think you would be ok because nobody in their right mind would think you'd put POS bushmaster parts on a quality colt lower.

Not all Bushmasters were crap! Depends on when and by whom they were made.

Let's try this again!

If a person has a Colt AR-15 lower and owned or possessed a complete say Daniel Defense M4, would that be "constructive intent", as parts could be moved from the Daniel Defense M4 to make the Colt

complete???

No! My head is spinning now Paul!!!  If you have a Colt AR-15 lower and "THAT IS THE GUN" and you have the parts in your possession to make it a rifle. Would that rifle be considered an assault weapon in NJ???

PS. I need a good deal on some 15rd or 15/30 AK mags!!! 7.62X39 Steel preferred.

But you ended the response with another question. You are beginning to sound like an undercover anti gunner or undercover ATF agent. Are you? I suggest ending this. You got your answer. Stop beating a dead horse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11214020_ori.jpg

Is the firearm legally owned by the person that wants you to take it for a ride to the gunsmith? 

If yes, get a copy of his ownership paper and put it in the locked case on it's way to the smith.  If not legally owned - you get stopped with an illegal firearm and you'll wish you never knew 'your friend'

I realize I'm LATE TO THE PARTY, but I'm really scratchin' my head at this one.  If you have the key to the case to hand to the smith, you do realize that an ILLEGAL TRANSFER still took place since you have obtained the care, custody and control of a gun in the state of New Jermany w/o either proper paperwork OR use of an EXEMPTION (such as a temp. transfer at a range), right?

I have several guns w/o "ownership papers".  Long guns AND hand guns.  And so do THOUSANDS of other NJ residents who moved into Dirty Jersey from Free America!  Some of mine were simply passed-down to me by my mom (who's been DEAD for over 20 YEARS)!  There are tens (hundreds?) of thousands of guns that were never registered in NJ.  I have friends that used to buy hand guns through the US Mail prior to the '68 GCA from the Sears Catalog!  Additionally, WW2 GI's like my dad that brought home his Lugers & Colt 1911's are in closets in virtually all 21 counties of Dirty Jersey.  

To the OP:  I hate to use the term, "You People", butttt if there ever was a time to use it, it's NOW!  You People are better off READING what's already written in the LEGAL Forum than posting in the General Forums to ask about OPINIONS on how to break or skirt the law..........  

When dealing with LEGAL questions about ownership, transfers and transportation, it's usually best to refer to the Orange Bible authored by Evan Nappen.

---30---

I'm really trying to let this post die after almost being accused of being anti gun or worse. 

GUYS! The question has been answered! 

The answer is NO you can't.

I never said I was gonna do this.

I wasn't trying to break or skirt any laws. 

It was just a question that came up that I thought could be easily answered here since the PRNJ laws are clear on everything. 

Little did I know!

Lesson learned. I'm new to all this but I'l try to never ask any firearm law questions here again.

Thank you to everyone who replied.

Now... please. Done.

I'm really trying to let this post die after almost being accused of being anti gun or worse.

GUYS! The question has been answered!

The answer is NO you can't.

I never said I was gonna do this.

I wasn't trying to break or skirt any laws.

It was just a question that came up that I thought could be easily answered here since the PRNJ laws are clear on everything.

Little did I know!

Lesson learned. I'm new to all this but I'l try to never ask any firearm law questions here again.

Thank you to everyone who replied.

Now... please. Done.

Get a copy of this book, all the answers you seek are within these pages. No firearms owner in NJ should be without this text. It will help keep you out of jail for some simple arbitrary mistake someday. Worth every penny bro.

Posted Image