Sign in to follow this  
flank

black friday rimfire rifle purchase?

So I took a look at the Dicks Sporting Goods black friday ad scan and a few things POSSIBLY interest me to take a stop by and attempt to purchase. I see that they have a mossberg 715 for $99, could be a misprint because from what I can tell the mossberg 715 is a AR taticool rimfire rifle. I'm guessing the mossberg rifle actually on sale for $99 is the model 702. Additionally they are giving $20 off rifle normally priced over $150, which makes me look at the marlin 795, which the Dicks employee "believes" (unbelievable lack of help from this in-store employee) is $169 normally. I've had my eyes on a marlin 795 for some time, missed my opportunity to grab one back when they had the $25 rebate a few years back :( Also they have a ruger 10/22 for $200 with an included extra mag. If I did go with the marlin 795 and purchased an additional mag thats like another $25 bringing the total cost to $175 which only leaves a $25 difference between the marlin 795 and the ruger 10/22. From all reports that I've read the ruger 10/22 is a great rifle but the marlin 795 tends to be more accurate out of the box.

Additionally I understand the ruger 10/22 is the more established & customizable rifle with lots of aftermarket accesories but I don't do much with me rifles other than putting optics on them & buying mags.

I am not going to wait in-line outside before the store actually opens, if I do go it will be later Thanksgiving night or sometime Friday so I am expecting the "black friday sale items" to be gone before I arrive. So with all that being said, out of the mossberg 702, marlin 795 & ruger 10/22, which rimfire rifle would everyone recommend?

Both 795 and 1022 are good guns.  I have no experience with the Mossy. 

I prefer the Marlin 795 because of the last shot hold open feature, and the ease of manually locking back and releasing the bolt. I am actually surprised that Ruger has not made a LSHO for the 10-22. Ruger's manual bolt hold open is weird. I sold my Ruger years ago and I have not regretted it at all.

Pros for the Ruger.... mags sit flush, pop out easier, and there are many, many more aftermarket goodies for it. The Marlin has very few aftermarket things to add on, but the gun out of the box is better (I think), so less fiddling is needed.

Both guns have magazines that can work with both bolt and semi-auto guns. The Marlin mags fit a large number of older guns. 

My 795 is pimped out with a wood stock, tech sights and some DIP add ons.

Where do you live? I am in Ocean County and you would be more than welcome to try out my 795 at Garden State Shooting Center. I think they may have a 10-22 rental you could try out. 

On a side note, as good as some black friday deals look, you couldn't pay me to go out shopping on that day.

Amen to that brother!

I'd recommend the 10/22 over the other rimfires... 

I"m not familiar with the others, but I now have a couple of 10/22's, and you certainly can't go wrong with them.

I too recommend the Ruger. I put fiber optic sites and the BX drop in trigger with modified bolt release in mine and it is my favorite plinking rifle. I tried a scope on it but didn't like it but I have the take down model so that may be why.

From my relatively inexperienced perspective you can have 80-85% of the fun you'll ever have with a .22 with a reliable brand, even at $99. If you don't have a .22 get this one.

The first gun I ever shot, in 1968, was a single-shot training rifle in .22lr. All beat up; don't remember what it was. I couldn't wait for weekly target practice.

I've shot half a dozen over the years and they were all fun. Then again I am partial to that caliber. If you get serious you can later spend $1300 on a scoped Anschutz and castrate squirrels at 200 yards. 

Thank you I appreciate everybody's input. This is going to be my first 22lr semi-auto, I currently have a Savage Mark II G bolt-action and love it. I'm thinking of picking up  a semi-auto for more faster follow up shots during plinking and the added fun-factor of a semi-auto. I am going to have to think this over some more but luckily I still have a little over a week to come to a decision :)

dajonga thank you I appreciate the offer

Some additional info to consider

Mossberg

made in brazil

1 year warranty

Marlin

made in USA

5 year warranty

Ruger

made in USA

none? but they'll fix defects?

So for personal reasons that puts the Mossberg at the bottom of my list

I have to admit I've never been retail shopping on black friday, is it really that bad as depicted by some movies? I am imagining most of the craze will be shoppers camping out side the other retailers awaiting a chance at cheap electronics thus lessing my chances of being 'trampled over' at the sporting goods store.

I own several Marlins and one Ruger 10-22.

I also vote for the Ruger as it is the most reliable, eats everything you feed it and has tons of fun stuff you can add to it!

Marlin's quality is not what it once was but Ruger remains great and they will fix it if it breaks, period!  

Ruger has never offered a warranty on anything ever. Not even a concern, they stand behind their product 100 percent. They go the extra mile to keep customers happy.  It was a business decision long ago, they stand behind their product no matter who owns it. IMHO the gold standard in the industry.  Oh, and made in the USA.  I own many a Ruger and have sent two back for either recall or product changes.  Service excellent.

You can't go wrong with either Marlin 795 or Ruger 10/22. Plan on getting optics or Tech Sights for both. For Ruger, you probably want an auto bolt release ($10 upgrade) and maybe and extended mag release. To be honest, the Black Friday pricing isn't all that great so don't go crazy waiting in line. I've seen the same pricing on 795 throughout the year. For 10/22, you can probably get the same price through the the year online. When you factor in transfer price vs sales tax, it's a wash.

So I took a look at the Dicks Sporting Goods black friday ad scan and a few things POSSIBLY interest me to take a stop by and attempt to purchase. I see that they have a mossberg 715 for $99, could be a misprint because from what I can tell the mossberg 715 is a AR taticool rimfire rifle. I'm guessing the mossberg rifle actually on sale for $99 is the model 702. Additionally they are giving $20 off rifle normally priced over $150, which makes me look at the marlin 795, which the Dicks employee "believes" (unbelievable lack of help from this in-store employee) is $169 normally. I've had my eyes on a marlin 795 for some time, missed my opportunity to grab one back when they had the $25 rebate a few years back :( Also they have a ruger 10/22 for $200 with an included extra mag. If I did go with the marlin 795 and purchased an additional mag thats like another $25 bringing the total cost to $175 which only leaves a $25 difference between the marlin 795 and the ruger 10/22. From all reports that I've read the ruger 10/22 is a great rifle but the marlin 795 tends to be more accurate out of the box.

Additionally I understand the ruger 10/22 is the more established & customizable rifle with lots of aftermarket accesories but I don't do much with me rifles other than putting optics on them & buying mags.

I am not going to wait in-line outside before the store actually opens, if I do go it will be later Thanksgiving night or sometime Friday so I am expecting the "black friday sale items" to be gone before I arrive. So with all that being said, out of the mossberg 702, marlin 795 & ruger 10/22, which rimfire rifle would everyone recommend?

Hey, can you link to that Dick's ad? 

The only online Dick's circular that I can find, doesn't show what yours does?

Thanks!

:good:

I have a model 60 out of the box it was very accurate could hit golf balls at 100 yards consistently. The internal machine finish needs work tho I got a few sheets of sand paper and sanded out the machine marks on the bolt and inside the receiver then used mothers mag polish to get a mirror finish on the bolt. I also rubbed some polish in the receiver and worked the bolt back and forth for about 10 min. After cleaning it out and greasing it's prob the smoothest 22lr I've ever shot. The tube fed style is nice because you can shoot from prone with no obstructions there is also a trigger spring kit you can grab it's about 30$ but will bring your trigger pull to about 4 lb overall I'm very satisfied with the marlin 60 and I believe I got it for about 145$ also marlin uses a micro Grove rifling which makes your shot more accurate

Arthur Kill its on the bfads.net website, good site if you plan on doing black friday shopping, here is the direct link to the dicks sporting goods ad http://www.bfads.net/Black-Friday/Dicks-Sporting-Goods/Ad?page=3#viewer

this is a difficult decision, might just have to let item availability/stock decide for me :laugh:

Amazing!  Thank you very much, sir!

I actually stopped by my local Dick's and talked to "the guy at the counter" today.  Nice enough man but he has no knowledge or information (or teeth). 

He seemed to think that the sale only applied to the rifles they have in stock -- he thought they had 5 or 6 10/22's in stock because they "dont sell many of those."

He also stated that they will be open at 6pm ON Thanksgiving Day and that that is when the Black Friday sale begins.  He further stated that he believed the on-sale 10/22's will be soldout on Thursaday night.

I'm not sure if any of his information is accurate - a few other things he conveyed to me were not true.  He didn't even have much gun knowledge but told me that he worked the gun counter for 5 years.  So, who knows?

But thank you again for the link!!

:imsohappy:

Figured i'd update this thread and say that I purchased a Marlin 795 and so far that's all i've done, purchase it... NICS delayed me... again :( I know T Bill said there have been budget cuts to the NJFU but what struck me as odd is that I went to Dicks on Saturday the employee said "you're one of the handful who got delayed" - to me that says the state police has had enough resources to process all NICS checks thus far except those stuck in delayed status. Usually when i'm delayed I get the approval within a few hours/the next day but its been 3 business days (not counting saturday & today). Is the person doing the delayed followups still on vacation lol.

Figured i'd update this thread and say that I purchased a Marlin 795 and so far that's all i've done, purchase it... NICS delayed me... again :( I know T Bill said there have been budget cuts to the NJFU but what struck me as odd is that I went to Dicks on Saturday the employee said "you're one of the handful who got delayed" - to me that says the state police has had enough resources to process all NICS checks thus far except those stuck in delayed status. Usually when i'm delayed I get the approval within a few hours/the next day but its been 3 business days (not counting saturday & today). Is the person doing the delayed followups still on vacation lol.

Maybe you are at the bottom of the pile?

Congrats on your purchase

Look at the bright side- you were part of an all-time single day (Black Friday) national record for gun purchases/nics checks :)  feel  the love!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/12/01/black-friday-breaks-record-185k-gun-background-checks/76624604/

btw- have a 795 too. lots of fun

Look at the bright side- you were part of an all-time single day (Black Friday) national record for gun purchases/nics checks :) feel the love!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/12/01/black-friday-breaks-record-185k-gun-background-checks/76624604/

btw- have a 795 too. lots of fun

Holy crap!