Krdshrk

Apparently Hornady Critical Defense is "Armor PIercing"

........ according to the NY Post.

http://nypost.com/2015/11/18/a-traffic-stop-got-this-armor-piercing-gun-off-the-streets/

laser-sight1.jpg?quality=100&strip=all&w

Two NYPD cops pulled over a car for a busted taillight in Brooklyn — and ended up finding a gun with armor-piercing bullets and a laser sight, police said on Tuesday.

Officers Joseph McEvoy and Henry Rivera were patrolling Brownsville when they stopped a purple Cadillac at 1:30 p.m. Thursday near the intersection of Thatford and Lott avenues in Brownsville.

When the cops looked inside, they saw that passenger Eric Allen, 36, was wearing a knife on his belt, police said.

The officers then asked the two men to step out of the vehicle, at which point they found a Taurus 9mm handgun with a laser sight on driver Kijana Powell, 38, police said.

The powerful semiautomatic pistol was loaded with illegal armor-piercing — a k a “cop killer” bullets, they said.

The officers also discovered several bags of marijuana in the car and in Allen’s pocket, police said.

Forget the busted tail light.......I would have pulled them over just for driving a "purple Cadillac"

While it wasn't published wanna bet the car and occupants were from some southern state?

Forget the busted tail light.......I would have pulled them over just for driving a "purple Cadillac"

While it wasn't published wanna bet the car and occupants were from some southern state?

Ha Ha, you beat me to the punch; I was going to say purple Cadillac alone was probable cause :)

Bet me to that one. Lol...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks like they amended the article to correct the assertion about the ammunition.

yet still left "powerful" in there...lol all about the agenda...lol

And still called them "Hollow points."  I don't believe Hornady Critical Defense/Duty are considered "hollow points."  There's some filling in that depression. :dontknow:

And still called them "Hollow points."  I don't believe Hornady Critical Defense/Duty are considered "hollow points."  There's some filling in that depression. :dontknow:

You're correct there's a njsp firearms unit (I believe) clarification letter floating on this site where it's says they don't classify them and a couple other rounds as hp ammunition

Looks like they amended the article to correct the assertion about the ammunition.

makes you wonder was it an edited quote of some mis-informed cops or the authors embelishing?- 

The powerful semiautomatic pistol was loaded with illegal armor-piercing — a k a “cop killer” bullets, they said.

You're correct there's a njsp firearms unit (I believe) clarification letter floating on this site where it's says they don't classify them and a couple other rounds as hp ammunition

NYPD might not go by what NJSP says is, or isn't HP.

Is this what you were speaking of???  I had to convert the pdf to text since this site would not allow me to paste the pdf or even jpg version of the original letter!

To: SCHLUETER, DAVID

Date: 9/11/2009 2:26:29 PM

Subject: Hollow point ammo

Lt,

The three products currently being manufactured that are not considered "hollow point" bullet cartridges are

Hornady Critical Defense

Federal Expanding Full Metal Jacket

Carboni Glaser PowR Ball

AFTE (Association of Firearm and Toolmark Examiners) defines a "hollow point" as - a bullet with a cavity in the nose to facilitate expansion.

The three above described cartridges utilize different technologies to facilitate expansion and do not have a 'hollow" cavity.

In the case of the PowR Ball and the Critical Defense, they each utilize a polymer to fill the "cavity', and therefor are considered to be Expanding

Type bullets but fall short of a hollow point. You can look up these products online and see them for yourself.

Each bullet is a good alternative to a hollow point at this paint. As we had discussed, the use of full metal jacketed ammunition creates a bigger risk

of over penetration and therefore a higher risk of striking a non-combatant.

Good Luck,

Is this what you were speaking of???  I had to convert the pdf to text since this site would not allow me to paste the pdf or even jpg version of the original letter!

To: SCHLUETER, DAVID

Date: 9/11/2009 2:26:29 PM

Subject: Hollow point ammo

Lt,

The three products currently being manufactured that are not considered "hollow point" bullet cartridges are

Hornady Critical Defense

Federal Expanding Full Metal Jacket

Carboni Glaser PowR Ball

AFTE (Association of Firearm and Toolmark Examiners) defines a "hollow point" as - a bullet with a cavity in the nose to facilitate expansion.

The three above described cartridges utilize different technologies to facilitate expansion and do not have a 'hollow" cavity.

In the case of the PowR Ball and the Critical Defense, they each utilize a polymer to fill the "cavity', and therefor are considered to be Expanding

Type bullets but fall short of a hollow point. You can look up these products online and see them for yourself.

Each bullet is a good alternative to a hollow point at this paint. As we had discussed, the use of full metal jacketed ammunition creates a bigger risk

of over penetration and therefore a higher risk of striking a non-combatant.

Good Luck,

yes sir thats the one i was thinking of 

Easy guys, just because they don't meet the literally definition of hollow point doesn't change the fact that are still dumdum rounds in NJ which is the same restriction.

i don't use them personally, not because of some poorly written law, but because of their poor performance... hst for me .....ill leave the  efmj's or other poor performing 30+yo technology rounds for the nervous nellies :sarcastichand:

i don't use them personally, not because of some poorly written law, but because of their poor performance... hst for me .....ill leave the efmj's or other poor performing 30+yo technology rounds for the nervous nellies :sarcastichand:

I agree. Although, critical defense does perform well in .380.

i don't use them personally, not because of some poorly written law, but because of their poor performance... hst for me .....ill leave the  efmj's or other poor performing 30+yo technology rounds for the nervous nellies :sarcastichand:

Well, that depends entirely on the purpose of the round. They did develop the round to solve issues surrounding HP's, although it turned into a jack of all trades, master of nothing type round. I've been using the XTP rounds.