MissionaryMike

Maintaining Energy Throughout a Match

So, I noticed a few people snarfing down their dinners right before last week's RTSP match.  Understandable, as the match is scheduled right in the middle of most people's suppertime window.  But what about during the morning matches, which most are, i.e. Shongum and Old Bridge?  I live about 45 min away from Shongum, and if I want to make it out early enough to help set up the stages by 8 am or so, I'm eating my breakfast at 6:30 am and out the door by 7 am.  These morning matches get out at around 4pm, right? 

Are most of you guys brown bagging a lunch, or consuming trail mix and energy bars throughout the day?

Let me know,

MM

At Cumberland matches, most shooters will brown bag a lunch to eat while they're in the pits, during lulls in the action.

When a match starts at 0800 and isn't over until 1500, you need to put something in your belly.

Especially when 600yd slow prone in the final stage of the match.

And it's a given that you'll be drinking either water, gatorade or iced tea both on the line (as scorer) and in the pits.

Continue to eat early as you are doing, then light healthy snacks and plenty of water during the match. Do not each a full meal, energy will be diverted to digest the meal and you will feel sluggish.  Sorta of like how long distant runners carb up the night before a run.  Orange slices during the match for quick energy, even an apple, pure refined sugar snacks will do you in.  Trail mix is good, nuts helps keep hunger down by taking long to digest  You'll see jerky sometimes but high salt content is not good either.  Complex carbs are a plus.

At oldbridge the boy scouts have been showing up selling hot dogs hamburgers and drinks. But yes i usually try to bring some food along. And water.

I think they are done for the year, they weren't there at the last match. 

For me I need to keep moving, taping, reseting steel, loading and cleaning mags. If I sit down for more than three minutes my day is pretty much over. 

Only eating light snacks during a long match will get you killed on the street! You can't tell the bad guys "Sorry, come back later. I'm having my after dinner nap."

At Somerset we feed you pizza in the middle of the match so you can train on a full stomach.