Sign in to follow this  
Serious

Use your cell with no service

There are apps that allow you to text without service, and it's alot cheaper and in some cases, free.

They require the internet to be in place and fo you to be hooked up to wifi. 

These require you and the recipient to have the device, and to have phone paired via low power bluetooth to them. No infrastructure beyond that except perhaps a way to charge them. 

Yeah I thought it was a cool idea because not many people are going to buy a cb radio and all components to go along with it. But if enough of us buy this in NJ we can basically have an off grid network if somehow we lost satellite connection I have also read people are converting their old dish TV satellite dishes into antennas

I have a handheld and a base cb I can't seem to get anyone on it was thinking about putting up an external antenna but unsure what type of antenna to go with also want to make sure im not the guy in the neighborhood with the huge ugly antenna in my yard any suggestions? I live very close to a TV station would that have a negative effect on my signal?