Mooney228

Taking my handgun to my nj apartment

I am a Pennsylvania resident and I'm going to be purchasing a handgun. I am going to get my PA concealed weapon permit witch I understand will not help me in anyway in New Jersey. My question is can I bring the handgun to my New Jersey apartment and keep it here, and if so will I have to file for a permit of any sort? I know getting a concealed permit in NJ is every bite of impossible.

If you have a residence in NJ, you can transport to that residence - just make it a direct trip.  Don't stop by the store and pick up groceries, and don't stop by your buddy's house on the way there.  Direct trip with reasonable deviations (if you need to buy gas, that's fine).  Transport it unloaded in a "locked" container (zippered gun bag or plastic case is fine), in your trunk, ammunition separate from the gun.  Make sure your gun magazines (assuming it's a semi auto and not a revolver) have a capacity of 15 or less.

There is.  Just don't deviate.  I transport between my residences occasionally.

I was thinking of 2C:39-6 Exemptions

e.     Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent a person keeping or carrying about his place of business, residence, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, any firearm, or from carrying the same, in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section, from any place of purchase to his residence or place of business, between his dwelling and his place of business, between one place of business or residence and another when moving, or between his dwelling or place of business and place where such firearms are repaired, for the purpose of repair. For the purposes of this section, a place of business shall be deemed to be a fixed location.

This doesn't specifically mention residence to residence except when moving. Is there any other section that allows it?

where is it spelled out that residence to residence is ok?

It's not.  You can transport from one residence to another WHEN MOVING.  See post #7 above.

Under NJ law, the first rule is: you can't possess or transport a firearm.   Then, later in the statute, lists several "exemptions" to that first rule.  There is no such exemption for moving between residences except WHEN MOVING.

Transport of long guns is allowed if you have a FID card under an different exemption, as long as you're transporting unloaded and cased. FID card does not help with transporting handguns. 

It's not.  You can transport from one residence to another WHEN MOVING.  See post #7 above.

Under NJ law, the first rule is: you can't possess or transport a firearm.   Then, later in the statute, lists several "exemptions" to that first rule.  There is no such exemption for moving between residences except WHEN MOVING.

Transport of long guns is allowed if you have a FID card under an different exemption, as long as you're transporting unloaded and cased. FID card does not help with transporting handguns. 

This I already know. Thats why I asked Krdshrk where that exemption is....

Define the definition of moving. Is there a specific time frame one is allowed to transport?

ETA: In most cases, one owns both dwellings at the same time. When does the "moving" stop? Must one of the residences be sold? See where this is going?

Define the definition of moving. Is there a specific time frame one is allowed to transport?

ETA: In most cases, one owns both dwellings at the same time. When does the "moving" stop? Must one of the residences be sold? See where this is going?

so your saying just always keep a lamp in your car as to move it to the other residence and that would be moving? I dont see this going anywhere except to the back of a patrol car lol

One way around this is to go from House A to a range and then to House B. Then you are not going directly from House A to House B. Only in NJ!

I'm not telling anybody what to do, but fick me if I ever found myself on the OP's shoes and did all this to transport a gun from one house to another.

If you have the handgun in a "legal" situation in PA then transport it to another "legal" place in NJ I don't see why you wouldn't be ok, if you have doubts, stop at a range along the way. Take pictures of your adventures along the way in case you need documented info of where you were going along said "legal" trip. 

I'm continually moving between residences, correct :D

I was thinking of 2C:39-6 Exemptions

e.     Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent a person keeping or carrying about his place of business, residence, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, any firearm, or from carrying the same, in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section, from any place of purchase to his residence or place of business, between his dwelling and his place of business, between one place of business or residence and another when moving, or between his dwelling or place of business and place where such firearms are repaired, for the purpose of repair. For the purposes of this section, a place of business shall be deemed to be a fixed location.

This doesn't specifically mention residence to residence except when moving. Is there any other section that allows it?

Actually you folks are reading the punctuation wrong yet again.  Your additional rights are in the correct reading of the punctuation.  

I have (4) residences that I own.  I love to pay property taxes.  I own $30K Scatterguns and Lugers and Wilson Combat 1911's.  They're spread-out all over NJ.  I also own farm land and parcels.  I'm allowed to transport my firearms (doesn't say long guns) to pieces of vacant land (that don't have stiffel lamps) for purposes of patrolling said properties:  

nothing shall be construed........to his residence or place of business, between dwelling and place of business, and the one I really LOVE:  carrying about business, residence, premises (PLURAL!) OR OTHER LAND OWNED OR POSSESSED BY HIM, any firearm (so hand guns are Kosher!), COMMA, or from carrying the same blah, blah, blah...........

What this means is that I can take my unloaded pea shooter or .50 AE Desert Eagle (or anything in-between) and throw it uncased w/o a trigger lock into the trunk of my sedan and drive directly to an abandoned gas station I own on Rt. 206 in South Jersey.  Once I arrive, I can retrieve, load and holster-up to patrol my property!  What if I own more than a single property?  What if I belong to more than a single gun club?  What if I'm a Shootist and enter competitions in multiple disciplines all across NJ, and do so leaving from multiple residences of my choice?

NOWHERE in the law does it say I have to go to a range or other exempt location before proceeding to my next property.  Does that mean that multi-millionaires with several residences and abandoned gas stations and land parcels have more rights than YOU do?  In a word, MAYBE!

It's all about the PUNCTUATION and the meaning of the word "OR" immediately after a comma...............  Slow down and say it OUT LOUD to yourself when reading the exemption.  Then ask yourselves if English Land Barron's had more rights than commoners.  Then ask yourselves what did it take to vote in 1776?  Then ask yourselves if "OTHER LAND OWNED OR POSSESSED BY HIM" covers the 200 acres out in the middle of Burlington County that someone owns, w/o a house, dwelling or even a shack on it?  How does the hand gun get there for the patrol?  Does the Millionaire helo-drop it?

Punctuation and interpretation.  Do it slow enough and the lightbulbs will glow.........

Actually you folks are reading the punctuation wrong yet again.  Your additional rights are in the correct reading of the punctuation.  

I have (4) residences that I own.  I love to pay property taxes.  I own $30K Scatterguns and Lugers and Wilson Combat 1911's.  They're spread-out all over NJ.  I also own farm land and parcels.  I'm allowed to transport my firearms (doesn't say long guns) to pieces of vacant land (that don't have stiffel lamps) for purposes of patrolling said properties:  

nothing shall be construed........to his residence or place of business, between dwelling and place of business, and the one I really LOVE:  carrying about business, residence, premises (PLURAL!) OR OTHER LAND OWNED OR POSSESSED BY HIM, any firearm (so hand guns are Kosher!), COMMA, or from carrying the same blah, blah, blah...........

What this means is that I can take my unloaded pea shooter or .50 AE Desert Eagle (or anything in-between) and throw it uncased w/o a trigger lock into the trunk of my sedan and drive directly to an abandoned gas station I own on Rt. 206 in South Jersey.  Once I arrive, I can retrieve, load and holster-up to patrol my property!  What if I own more than a single property?  What if I belong to more than a single gun club?  What if I'm a Shootist and enter competitions in multiple disciplines all across NJ, and do so leaving from multiple residences of my choice?

NOWHERE in the law does it say I have to go to a range or other exempt location before proceeding to my next property.  Does that mean that multi-millionaires with several residences and abandoned gas stations and land parcels have more rights than YOU do?  In a word, MAYBE!

It's all about the PUNCTUATION and the meaning of the word "OR" immediately after a comma...............  Slow down and say it OUT LOUD to yourself when reading the exemption.  Then ask yourselves if English Land Barron's had more rights than commoners.  Then ask yourselves what did it take to vote in 1776?  Then ask yourselves if "OTHER LAND OWNED OR POSSESSED BY HIM" covers the 200 acres out in the middle of Burlington County that someone owns, w/o a house, dwelling or even a shack on it?  How does the hand gun get there for the patrol?  Does the Millionaire helo-drop it?

Punctuation and interpretation.  Do it slow enough and the lightbulbs will glow.........

The Rosie has spoken :D

No one likes the NJ gun laws but they are what they are. Most likely many of us break them without ever realizing it or caring.

When you put your pistol uncased in the trunk of your car and if you pass a school you may be violating federal law.