Sign in to follow this  
Rob0115

Beowulf

Anyone have one? I can get an actual AA upper for a good deal and I've suddenly gotten some interest in it. Could hunt with it but most likely would just have fun with it. Thoughts? Recoil I hear isn't terrible using stock weight buffers.

I'm considering the 458 also. The 50 will use the rainier 335 gr bullets I use in my DE.

Does anyone sell an already expanded port upper for 458? Is yours an SBR?

Don't forget about the 50 caliber ban that will happen in the next few years. :peep:

I heard that Sweeney and Weinberg were going to push for a ban on anything above .16 cal, since there is no legitimate purpose for anything bigger. :-/

I'm considering the 458 also. The 50 will use the rainier 335 gr bullets I use in my DE.

Does anyone sell an already expanded port upper for 458? Is yours an SBR?

Tromix does and yes, mine is a SBR with a 10.5" Tromix barrel. Before buying a barrel, do some research as to who is using a genuine reamer vs the reverse engineered reamer.

Tagging this again because I was going through pictures from the demo conducted in Texas in December and came across this guy:

fDnAYIr.jpg

That's a 500gr Hornady Dangerous Game Solid that I put through my .458S SBR after it went through both sides of a cinder block (the face had just a small hole in it and the back side was literally turned to powder) and slammed into a pile of bricks behind it.  The DGS bullets aren't meant to expand or fragment at any speed (these were loaded subsonic at 1,050fps but can be loaded slightly supersonic).  They're designed to retain shape and plow through hide, muscle, and bone.  Mission accomplished!

As a follow up I decided on 458 SBR. All parts in a box waiting for my lazy ass to put together. Since moving to Florida part time I'm blowing all my money on firearms.

One good thing about NJ p2p is it prevents you from emptying out your checking account every Saturday.

As a follow up I decided on 458 SBR. All parts in a box waiting for my lazy ass to put together. Since moving to Florida part time I'm blowing all my money on firearms.

One good thing about NJ p2p is it prevents you from emptying out your checking account every Saturday.

If you decide to put a can on it, grab a Vers from Bowers.  I'm using a Vers 50 with the stainless baffle stack as I have a .510 project I'm working on and wanted one can but they make a Vers 458 specifically for the .458S.

What barrel length, min, can it handle? I just bought a liberty cosmic multi cal but would like one that can handle large caliber 458 specifically.

What barrel length, min, can it handle? I just bought a liberty cosmic multi cal but would like one that can handle large caliber 458 specifically.

I don't know but they didn't say anything when I told them it was going on a 10.5"

What exactly is a beowulf.?

.50 Beowulf developed by Alexander Arms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.50_Beowulf

I know this thread started as a pistol thread but form 1was approved so I'm going straight to SBR. In general form 1 seems to have gotten much faster. This one is only about 8 weeks since application and it was approved yesterday, Saturday. Maybe they're doing some OT to catch up.

It's 10.5" for mine so that can should be fine.

The first couple took me 4 months or so but recently it seems better. Still waiting on some form 4 stuff which seems to be getting longer.