Zeke

Fml! I'm gonna buy a lower

Start with figuring out what the rifles purpose in life will be, range toy, HD, low budget beater, varmint, M-16 or M4 clone etc.  Then, look for the best barrel you can afford and build your rifle around it.  Most people pick up a stripped lower thinking that's the first part of the build.  In my opinion, the build begins with the barrel.

If this is your first AR, I would go with the standard 5.56/.223 variety! From there you can look a pictures of other Ar's and decide what you want it to look like when complete! Choose iron sights or an optic

and build accordingly. Decide the purpose of the rifle up front, then configure it accordingly! Good luck and If you have any questions, we are here for you!!! Most of all, have fun and don't put the hammer spring in backwards!!!

Wait?  You don't have an AR?  Said the guy who's been to how many shotgun shoot outs without a shotgun.  :)

Here's my thread from when I took the plunge....probably help answer some questions.  And raise 3 more for every one answered  :)

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/64490-good-entry-level-off-the-shelf-buy/

Good luck & enjoy!

My first build was a 16" all-purpose type AR, on a budget.  Spikes lower, PSA LPK, Magpul furniture, Upper from JSE Surplus...  It was surprisingly lightweight.  Worked really well - sold it just before Newtown - coulda made a killing and doubled my money afterwards... Oh well.

Unless you want to build multiple uppers, I'd suggest getting a complete one instead of building. Lot of tools that you'd only use to do that, and are a little pricey.

Lowers are cake, and easy to function test. Uppers can be a little finicky.

I picked up mine right when Hillary and Obama were fighting for the nomination, and built it. Have three uppers (5.56mm, .22, and .410) and been extremely happy with it. I picked up a Bushmaster Carbon 15 the other week and got me looking at doing a super lightweight build. I'm probably going to get two or three Tennessee Arms Company polymer lowers ($40ish each) and go from there. Other lowers will be rainy day ones.

So let's have a discussion my friends.

Purpose of use.

I have a handgun.

I have a shot gun.

I will have( if the wife lets me) a ruger precision rifle.

So, the AR should fall ( for use) between shotgun and RPR.

What barrel lengths do you reccomend?

Midwest, you can chime in anytime cause I've read enough of your post, you gonna be my goto guy for stuff

Most barrels are threaded, the good ones anyway.  If you want to keep it simple (and quieter) get a thread protector that's the same outer diameter as the barrel.  Pinning it is easy but having it pinned is cheap too.  I put a rifle (A2) length Ace Skeleton stock on my SPR and I love it, they come in an entry (carbine) length too.

Do you have a solid budget? Here is why i ask. In your head you're gonna say "I will spend X on the lower and then X on the upper and then I'll ne at XX total price and in okay with that."

But then you didn't consider the sights, an optic, rail covers, magazines, a sling, sling attachments, a case, a forward grip. All that stuff is several hundred more. As someone said above they wish they knew what they wanted before their first one to not waste money. My first rifle was complete buy from Stag. I knew three months later what I wanted to change. Free float hand guard, flat dark earth, etc. I sold the Stag and told myielf I would build my custom preferences for $900. And yes I got a "rfle" built exactly what i wanted for that much but after you add all the non-rifle-function stuff I mentioned above you go from $900 to $1200 or $1300.

I will float this idea to you. Guys are DUMPING complete ARs with tons of accessories and magazines all over the place. You have carte Blanche choices. Just scour gunbroker or even our marketplace you get packages 30% off or more for EVERTYTHING. Don't take for granted when someone is selling 5 magazines in the deal. I posted my rifle for sale recently and I saw others for sale and I was like holy cow guys are dumping stuff more than 30% 40% off build prices

Start with figuring out what the rifles purpose in life will be, range toy, HD, low budget beater, varmint, M-16 or M4 clone etc.  Then, look for the best barrel you can afford and build your rifle around it.  Most people pick up a stripped lower thinking that's the first part of the build.  In my opinion, the build begins with the barrel.

The purpose is to make liberals wet their panties and cry.