Sign in to follow this  
capt14k

Is French MAS-49 NJ Legal?

I know its been determined that the MAS- 49/56 is NJ Legal because the Bayonet slips over the barrel and thus there is no lug. However I have never seen any discussion on the MAS-49. Like the MAS 49/56 it has a detachable magazine and is semi-auto thus evil feature test applies. The stock is NOT adjustable, there is NO Pistol Grip, there is NO Flash Hider, there IS a Grenade Launcher, lastly there IS a Bayonet. The MAS-49 has the same Type of Bayonet as the MAS-36, MAS-36/51, and MAS-44. The Bayonet is a spike Bayonet that stores inside of the rifle in a tube. The Bayonet is removed from the tube and turned around and then placed inside the same storage tube but since it is turned the opposite way the Bayonet is now exposed. The way it locks in is with a button just like most adjustable metal legs or posts would on say a table. The Bayonet is legal on the MAS-36 and 36-51 because they are bolt action rifles on the MAS-44 it doesn't matter because there is no grenade launcher. The MAS-49 is a somewhat rare rifle that looks a lot less like an "assault weapon" than the more common MAS 49/56. I would argue it is legal because it is not a Bayonet Lug but a duel purpose storage tube and there is no Lug. Would like to hear the opinions of others.

The MAS 49/56 is indeed a Federal C&R and is listed as follows in the C&R book:

French Military Rifle Model 1949/56, in 7.62 x 51mm (NATO) cal. French, model 1949, cal. 7.5mm, semiauto. rifle (Fusil Mle. 1949 (MAS) 7.5mm). 

French, model 1949/56 (Fusil Mle (MAS 7.5mm)) semiautomatic rifle.

It's legal so far the bayonet/etc goes.  It's not banned by name.

The early MAS 49's had a muzzle brake, but they soon changed to a Flash Hider

and MOST of the 49's yo usee have the FH, which needs to be removed but there 

are no aftermarket MB's avail. and finding an original is like finding a needle in a haystack

(and expensive if you find one)!

Mike at Tier One in Mountianside, NJ can convert your FH to a MB so it stays as close to

original as possible, I believe the cost is around $150.00

The early MAS 49's had a muzzle brake, but they soon changed to a Flash Hider

and MOST of the 49's yo usee have the FH, which needs to be removed but there 

are no aftermarket MB's avail. and finding an original is like finding a needle in a haystack

(and expensive if you find one)!

Mike at Tier One in Mountianside, NJ can convert your FH to a MB so it stays as close to

original as possible, I believe the cost is around $150.00

Was not aware of the FH/Brake thing.  Thanks...

It has been said that the FH on a MAS is one of the hardest to get off

because of the way the double stake the crush washers - they need to be 

drilled out before removal, and  if your not careful you can ruin the muzzle 

device.

The BBL is threaded metric, some funky thread and no one makes a brake for it.

Though Mike did an excellent job in converting the FH into a MB, the additional

$150.00 really drives up the price on a rifle like that...........

Shame - cool rifle!

I want to thank everyone for their responses but I believe you are all talking about the MAS 49/56. The MAS 49/56 has been determined to be legal. The MAS 49 does not has a flash hider. It does has a Grenade Launcher. The Bayonet attaches differently to the MAS 49 than it does the 49/56. That is why I was questioning whether it was legal. Does anyone know about the MAS-49 not the MAS-49/56?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

If the MAS 49 does not have a threaded bbl, than  a Bayonet lug would be o.k. because you are

allowed one (1) "Evil Feature" on a S.A. rifle in NJ

Since there is no pistol grip, a BL would be acceptable.

I believe both the MAS 49 & 49/56 both had 10 round mags so there should be no problems

The MAS-49 does not have a threaded barrel but it does have a Grenade Launcher. The Bayonet stores in a tube and then is turned around and locks into tube like an adjustable table leg or umbrella. It has the same Bayonet as the MAS-36, 36/51 and 44. My thinking was if the MAS-49/56 is legal because the Bayonet attaches by rings over the barrel the MAS-49 should also be legal because it is not a Bayonet Lug but other attachment method.