Zeke

Sig p220, 229, or 226

Initially I was going for the 220 elite carry, now I'm not sure.

Having thoughts bout the 229and 226 elite.

I don't have a .45

My only handy is an sr9 currently.

My permits should be ready this week( talked to pd on weds)

I haven't shot any of the sig's, although I fondled my buddies 220

Any of your input is appreciated

I have no issues with Sig's standard lineup (220, 226, 229, 239).

I'm just saying make sure you shoot one and you don't like something better. You may decide you like an HK, S&W, Glock, etc.... Better. You may shoot the Sig and decide you hate the high bore and muzzle flip, the grip may not feel right, you can't reach the decocker, etc....

I learned this lesson the hard way when I bought my HKP2000. On paper it was the perfect gun. It had evertyrhing I wanted: different size back straps, ambi-controls, LEM trigger, it was HK! I walked in to Ray's Sport Shop and dropped $800 on it without ever firing one. I proceeded to struggled to shoot it well over the next 4 years before I sold it.

What is the rationale for preferring a hammer fired gun for HD/SD?

I agree with shooting before you buy.

I always want to run A gun before I buy.

That being said.

The high bore axis is A mute point as far as Im concerned.  I own plenty of Sigs. But I have other brands (no Glocks though)

Sigs are A fine gun, just like many others.

No Sig collection will be complete without A 228, 226 and older 229.

Goodluck on your search and enjoy

I have no issues with Sig's standard lineup (220, 226, 229, 239).

honestly, lack of confidence in my abilities.

I've never understood a trigger safety.

But, I think I would feel a lot more confident with a decocker. As opposed to the glock like setup.

Hey man, I'm a carpenter that just wants the best tools to protect his family. I'm not an operator or mall ninja. And I don't want an nd while somthing happens before I become proficient.

I hope she has big hands. I have little tiny hands and I can barely reach the trigger adequately

On the topic of a hammer - DA revolver, DA/SA semi, striker fired semi - it doesn't matter. If you violate the first and third rule of firearm safety, you will eventually have an ND.

Plenty of people that aren't Mall Ninja/Operators shoot striker fired pistols with no issues. Plenty of people that are Mall Ninja/Operators have NDs with DA only guns - revolver and semi, heavy trigger or light, trigger safety or not.

It's a software issue, not hardware.

I personally think a double action/single action trigger is harder to shoot than a gun with a single trigger pull type - whether that is striker fired, SA only, or DA only.

I have the Sig P220 in .45 cal. with a built in Lasermax and a Sig P229 SS Elite in .40 cal.

I love both of them!  Being a Carpenter, you know the importance of having a hammer and I understand your desire for your gun to have one as well!

I am not a carpenter but I too like the look and feel of a hammer. I like the ability to know right away if the gun is cocked or not. I feel safer with the

longer and harder trigger pull on the first round in double action. I also have the Beretta PX4 Storm compact in 9mm. It also has a hammer!

Perhaps I spent too much time with revolvers when I started shooting! I just don't feel as safe and sure of myself with a striker fired pistol! I own a couple striker fired semis but I

just prefer the DA/SA much more!

I have the Sig P220 in .45 cal. with a built in Lasermax and a Sig P229 SS Elite in .40 cal.

I love both of them! Being a Carpenter, you know the importance of having a hammer and I understand your desire for your gun to have one as well!

I am not a carpenter but I too like the look and feel of a hammer. I like the ability to know right away if the gun is cocked or not. I feel safer with the

longer and harder trigger pull on the first round in double action. I also have the Beretta PX4 Storm compact in 9mm. It also has a hammer!

Perhaps I spent too much time with revolvers when I started shooting! I just don't feel as safe and sure of myself with a striker fired pistol! I own a couple striker fired semis but I

just prefer the DA/SA much more!

Thank you.

HE this my current version of software. It my change in time with training($).

I'll pose this to HE , you upgrade my software, I'll teach you to cope and scribe.

Have 220e, 226e 40, 229 sas g2 40, 239 40. If you have big hands the 220 and 226 are excellent. The 229 is just a tad smaller. Still very easy to shoot. The 239 i find a little small. Conceals well but not an "all day at range" type gun.

For home defense, wheel gun. No failure to eject, stove pipes, safety to think about engaging, wondering if one is in chamber or you need to rack it, fumbling with magazine, etc.

Revolver - point, pull trigger, BANG. No bang, pull trigger again.

My wife prefers the revolver. Simple, easy to undertand and operate.

With that said, if you are dead set on a semi and you / wife has small hands then you should look at CZ. Ergonomic wise they are one of the best guns I've held. They are tack drivers and ultra reliable. I've prob put at least a thousand rounds throw mine with zero issues.

The CZ 75B is a tad large for my hands but my CZ P01 fits perfectly. It's the decocker model. You and wife are more than welcome to test drive them out at EFGA or we can meet in Jersey if you shoot here.

I think she would like the way the P01 fits & feels.

There's a reason outside of the US that CZ is the most copied style of handgun. You'll also save a few hundred over the Sig,

I'm not saying SIGs aren't wonderful pieces of mechanical goodness. But for HD I would first consider a revolver. When I hear smaller hands and semi auto I immediately think CZ and of their incredible ergonomics.

Can you get caliber kits for the 229?

As far as the 92, that's totally up to her. She has yet to apply for her p2p's for it. She has held one at lgs. She is also comfortable shooting my sr9.

Wheel gun is on the list, that why I get multiple permits.

The SEALs use them?

It's funny you ask this as I learned it the expensive way. Was a huge sig fanboy until I realized how much slower i am on a hammer fired gun vs a striker fired gun.

I have a P226 stainless elite and I love it.  Accurate as hell and highly recommended

I'd recommend to shoot as many different models as you can...  and get the one you shoot best.  I have a thing for stainless or all-steel pistols... even though they come with extra weight.  

I have a P226 stainless elite and I love it. Accurate as hell and highly recommended

I'd recommend to shoot as many different models as you can... and get the one you shoot best. I have a thing for stainless or all-steel pistols... even though they come with extra weight.

thank you, I know to try before I buy.

The big question is .45 or 9

The SEALs use them?

It's funny you ask this as I learned it the expensive way. Was a huge sig fanboy until I realized how much slower i am on a hammer fired gun vs a striker fired gun.

Slower? How? Either use a SAO, or just practice DA. Fastest gun is Jerry's revolver lol.