Sign in to follow this  
vm27

BEST accuracy powder for 308.

I have great accuracy with an ar10 1 moa or less at 300 yards with imr 4166. 168 sierra mkhpbt. Supposed to be temp tolerant. That was from the bench on a sandbag. Im sure prone i could get a little better. 20" barrel and 1/11 twist.

You also need to establish how much accuracy you need or want. My favorite 308 load will shoot .75" consistently and smaller if I do my part at 100 yds. BTW is not a hot load; more like 7.62 NATO. I can shoot Federal 7.62 NATO all day long at 1.5" or less. That would suit 99.99% of my requirements.

If you want the absolute smallest group possible like a bench rest shooter be prepared to spend a couple of hundred hours on load development which is fine if that's what floats your boat. A friend of mine who got into bench rest shooting had about 30 1lb cans of powder before he found his load. Not to mention the diffent bullets, primers, and cases he acquired in this quest.

The rifle and ammo Carlos Hathcock used in Vietnam were only capable of about 2" at 100yds. That worked well enough for him.

You have to find out what that rifle likes. So, I would buy several boxes of factory match ammo and fire it keeping track which shoots best overall.  Bullet weights should vary from 168 to 177 or so. After you find your sweet bullet weight then work with that weight to find the sweet spot and see if it gives you that warm tingling feeling your looking for.

Here's a load that works well with the M1A crowd at the NM.

IMR-4895 41.5 grains with a SMK 168.  Rumor has it, it matches a 'match ammo' used by armed forces rifle teams.  YMMV. All prudent loading rules applies.

These loads are my favorite out of a NM M1A barrel. Mild loads but each will deliver sub-MOA groups for me. 

• 41.5 grs. H4895 168 gr. HPBT 
  • 43 grs. IMR4064 150 gr. FMJBT
  • 41.5 grs. IMR4064 125 GR. Speer TNT JHP