SkidKid6154

Florida Resident - stationed in NJ - Pistol transfer

Gents,

Hopefully you all can point me in the right direction. I'm an active duty Marine, a Florida resident and FL resident CCW holder, and I just got stationed here in New Jersey. My father wants to give me one of his pistols, a Beretta Elite II, and I'm trying to get a straight answer on what I would need to get it here from Florida. I've been told I would need the permit to purchase as well as the FID while some have said just to do the transfer in Florida and drive it back up here. What's the best/easiest option. Thanks in advance!

Transfer in FL as per Florida law.

If you have a residence in NJ, you can bring it to your residence WHEN MOVING.  NJ has a VOLUNTARY registration of firearms legally purchased out of state.

Once it's here, be careful where you transport it.  You can only transport between your home, range, gunshop, or business owned by you.

Thanks for the assistance so far. So I'll do the transfer in FL and transport it myself here.

Once it's here, be careful where you transport it.  You can only transport between your home, range, gunshop, or business owned by you.

I reread the law faq as I missed that portion. So for clarity, I can't just have that weapon in my car, ammo in the trunk, as an everyday thing? I can only do that if going to a shop/range from my house?

Thanks for the assistance so far. So I'll do the transfer in FL and transport it myself here.

I reread the law faq as I missed that portion. So for clarity, I can't just have that weapon in my car, ammo in the trunk, as an everyday thing? I can only do that if going to a shop/range from my house?

Correct.  It needs to be  unloaded, in a secure/fastened case or packaging in the trunk or the back of a SUV inaccessible to the driver. Ammo must be in a separate case.  You can only transport it to/from your house to your place of  business, or to the shop or to a range, and you cannot make any "unreasonable deviations" en route (no shopping, no eating, no stopping at friend's houses, nothing)!  Just Fuel and the bathroom.

I know your question was about a pistol, but you can keep an unloaded rifle in your car as long as you have a NJ FPID with you (at least this is generally true but as with all things NJ there are some other details).

If your dad lived next door to you in Jersey you couldn't lock it in a case and walk it next door to his house to show him. It would be the same 5 to 10 years in prison as carrying it loaded in public. Handguns are illegal in NJ by default. There are very tiny carveouts that allow you to possess one without going to jail at specific places under specific circumstances. One is being at your home.

Welcome to Hell. Enjoy your stay.

FYI  Not what you asked but seems your not well versed in NJ laws that attempt to virtually ban fire arms and their usage altogether. Everywhere in the country views hollow point ammo as a deterrent to collateral damage. NJ sees it as evil killing material. Hollow points may only be in your possession from place of purchase to your home or range or from your home to a range. Doesn't   matter if you have a firearm or not. One example, a person in NJ was convicted of possession of (banned) hollow point ammo for having a round of hollow point with a hole drilled through the brass (no gun powder in it) on his key ring. Coming from FL to NJ is a big change as far as gun rights, you'd be wise to familiarize yourself with NJ gun laws if your going to keep one in NJ. 

You would be. There are no gun rights in NJ. They intentionally create an opaque process to prevent you for exercising your 2a rights. Read about them you'll have a great laugh. Commiefornia is free compared to New Jersikstan.