carl_g

Hornady L&L AP case feeder

I have the case feeder on my LNL. Getting all four plates gets a little expensive but overall not that bad.  Like everything else about Hornady, finding the sweet spot can be a little difficult.  Too many pieces of brass in the hopper and it will have problems turning to set up the brass to drop.  Adjustments on the case drop can be troublesome.  Always seems the 45 ACP gets stuck dropping into the tube.  Have not quite figured that one out yet.  I say it's worth it, but be prepared to "tweak" here and there. 

I was actually thinking about the same thing lately.  Debating between the case feeder and the bullet feeder. I think that automating either one will greatly speed up my production.

Case feeder is more useful than the bullet feeder IMO.

IIRC there's a DIY method floating around that I've seen using regular tubing and just loading it up with cases, but I could be wrong. I know there's guys using that method for bullet loading into the die.

I saw this, way to much McGyver rigging... Not a bad way to save some $$ but in the end after the time, materials and fiddling you'd probably wish you just bought the real deal.

Wishful thinking that Hornady would just sell the lower end of the feeder.

No way I spend that kind of money to feed cases -- I'll build one 1st

I have a dillon 650 that came to me from my wife's grandfather --

He had the lower end from dillon fed by a tube with a wooden salad bowl on top 

The bowl has a hole thru it in the center where the tube enters -- Place the cases in the bowl, shake, and the tube gets filled

Works great

Just need to either buy the lower end from Hornady or make something -- there's plenty of videos

I was actually thinking about the same thing lately.  Debating between the case feeder and the bullet feeder. I think that automating either one will greatly speed up my production.

And the bullet feeder can be substituted with bullet tubes, and the feeder die. Much less expensive. Found the 9mm bullet tubes on Amazon for $27.

And the bullet feeder can be substituted with bullet tubes, and the feeder die. Much less expensive. Found the 9mm bullet tubes on Amazon for $27.

I got the dies used for $15 each but need to buy the tubes. Still hesitant on automating both since I have a powder cop on the press now and the only way to keep it is to use powder through expanders. So yet another thing to buy....

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

I got the dies used for $15 each but need to buy the tubes. Still hesitant on automating both since I have a powder cop on the press now and the only way to keep it is to use powder through expanders. So yet another thing to buy....

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

I am in the middle of setting up a friend's LNL ammo plant. We picked up the powder through die and have the room we need for the powder cop. It should be working by the end of the week. Powder through expander was relatively cheap($11). I will be doing the same with my LNL as soon as I have the cash.

I broke down and bought the case feeder last week after watching all the homemade videos and looking for all the parts to make one. Wish I would have just bought it in the first place because it's really nice. The set up was a breeze and so far out of 500 .45 cases it only dropped one up side down. 

Other than that my only complaint is that they didn't tape the box shut, kinda weird being that the first line in the instructions is about how it was carefully packaged to prevent damage to the unit during shipping. 

I took inventory and it was all there. 

Going to switch it over to .223 cases later today and see how they run. 

If your thinking about automating one definitely go with the case feeder because it works for everything for 30 bucks. If you go with the bullet feeder it's really expensive for the rifle bullet feeder die. 

I use the Lee 4 tube kit thing with the Hornady die and this adapter http://www.bullyadapter.com. I think powder cops are overrated, just set one of those one dollar led flashlights on top of the press over the middle hole and look in the case, works for me.  

Amazon is out of stock w/ the small pistol plates. Been waiting better part of a month for one...

Yeah same story, I got the LPP and the SRP there though. I'm just gonna bite the bullet and pay for shipping at midway. 

Yes amazon.

Me too, let me know if they taped your box shut.