gleninjersey

HOW TO GET MORE PEOPLE ACTIVE IN FIREARMS COMMUNITY?

You must respect my authoritiiiiii. Im in mr Glenn. Thats a cartman quote. Yeah lets talk and come up with something realistic after coming off of the recall. Maybe newtonian is free that evening. Lets pick a date and make it happen.

Ps. Let get a place where its a little more quiet so we can actually hear each other.

Ya know. I dont have a plan. But i was talking with newtonian the other night and i agree with what he was saying and feel the same way. Badgering the opposition hasnt worked and i dont think it will get us anywhere. Other than more opposition. We need to play politics. Ill talk to glenn this weekend and see what place we can come up with. I think we need a whole different mindset.

So what area works for the most people?  I'm near the Bridgewater area.  I know, Zeke is near me I think, Golf battery is down near Princeton, Old Glock Guy is near Randolf I think. 

As for "the plan".  My general idea is a website / forum solely focused on 2nd Amendment activism.  As I've said before, njgunforum.com is a great general site BUT the Legislative Alerts and Rallies section is a bit of a black hole.

I'm wondering if having a separate website devoted to political activism & change in regards to NJ 2nd Amendment laws would help separate the wheat from the chaff.  Help find like minded individuals who are willing to invest real time (not online).  Also allow different activism groups to be located in one place rather than in an oft overlooked sub forum.

I'm open to all types of ideas and input.  I think the last weekend of January I'm free all weekend.  Now lets narrow down when and where.

There's Coopertop Pub / The Grain House in the Old Mill Inn just off of 287 that is a little north of me. Little less travel for people coming from the North.

http://www.oldemillinn.com/m/dining

How does that work? It's small but if we go early enough shouldn't be too crowded and should be easy to converse.

How's that work for everyone?

Ya know. I dont have a plan. But i was talking with newtonian the other night and i agree with what he was saying and feel the same way. Badgering the opposition hasnt worked and i dont think it will get us anywhere. Other than more opposition. We need to play politics. Ill talk to glenn this weekend and see what place we can come up with. I think we need a whole different mindset.

This is for EVERYONE on this thread:

Some of you know me, others don't.  I, along with a truly dedicated team of volunteers from Wayne, NJ to Sewell, NJ just spent from last Wednesday evening to last night doing the GSOSS at Raritan Center Expo Hall. As VP for the Coalition of New Jersey Firearm Owners ( http://www.cnjfo.com ), I'm not done yet, as I still have my car to fully unload into my basement and garage.  I don't want to "meddle" in other peoples affairs, and I'm EXCITED to see so many great ideas here, so I'll just put the following "out there for further discussion":

CNJFO has incorporated as a Charitable and Educational 501©3 TAX-EXEMPT Non-Profit AND a NJ Non-Profit.  We've also applied for a Raffle License from the State of NJ (pending).  We're a year old as a CONCEPT, having received our corporate status just a few short months ago in May.  It's been a time-consuming and EXPENSIVE journey dealing with the entire course of legal filings to do things right from the start, to the tune of a couple grand in start-up expenses AND the TIME it takes for government entities to respond (Red Tape).  From written Bylaws to business cards, from brochures to branding w/ T-shirts, it's been a journey well worth our collective time and efforts.  Currently, we're poised to do a whole lotta great things and could use some more help to accomplish our goals AND to implement LOTS of the great ideas written here in this thread!  Because we choose to run a fully transparent Pro-2A Corporation, we have several committee-level positions OPEN RIGHT NOW, so ANY or ALL of you could possibly take one of your fantastic ideas from this thread and RUN WITH IT NOW by working for us as a Committee Chairman or Committee Member (YOU pick how DEEP you wish to swim!).  As others have stated here $$$$ is the grease that makes the wheels turn, and we're still in need of plenty of THAT to get our http://www.JustifiableNeed.com billboard project up and running.  That's why our dedicated volunteers worked so hard at our booth for the entire 4-day Show!  

So here's what I wish to propose:

How about some of you folks consider joining CNJFO?  Better yet, how about some of you fellow 2A Patriots consider coming to our next Board of Trustees meeting!  We hold them at Mastoris Restaurant at the intersection of Rt. 130 and Rt. 206 in Bordentown, NJ (right off NJTP Exit #7) nearer the true center of NJ.  It's a well-known and respected meeting place with Diner prices.  We were supposed to meet this Thursday, but we're all FRIED from doing the Show, so the new (tentative) date is a week after on January 21st.  We start the meeting at 7:30pm, but Matt Andras, CNJFO President, and I can get there earlier to RESERVE A FEW TABLES for you all and do a Q and A session prior to the start of the meeting to answer the vast majority of the usual questions most volunteers have before diving into the DEEP END of the pool.  The pay SUCKS and the hours are LONG, but the feeling of ACCOMPLISHMENT is a beautiful thing!  

There's PLENTY of room at our table for like-minded volunteers, so please consider what I wrote above^^^ from the heart.

Looking forward to your input and feedback.  Suggestions and comments sincerely appreciated.  Thank you all for your time and efforts.

For the Board,

David J. "Rosey" Rosenthal, Vice President

Coalition of New Jersey Firearm Owners 

NRA Life Member

NRA Double Distinguished Expert Muzzleloading Pistol and Rifle (Country's first)

NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

NRA Certified Instructor

NRA Women On Target Volunteer Instructor

I.D.P.A. Member

U.S.P.S.A. Member

Former Member Board of Trustees Old Bridge Rifle and Pistol Club

PPC Match Director and League Chairman OBRPC

Member of Black Powder and Shotgun Leagues at OBRPC

Delegate to Board of Trustees of Garden State Black powder Assoc.

Chief Range Safety Officer of Garden State Black Powder Assoc.

Member of Leadership for BSA Venturing Crew #85

BSA Merit Badge Counselor for Rifle and Shotgun Shooting

Eagle Scout Dad (Class of 2006)

Member New Jersey State Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs

Pheasant and Hog Hunter, especially w/ Black Powder Arms

Mentor to Women and Kids

Look at the price of the entrees$$$

We would meet in the pub, not the restaurant. I think their pub grub is more reasonably priced.

I'm open to suggestions for places to meet. I think it should be somewhere that we can hold conversation and not be surrounded by a lot of noise.

The Trap Rock is a great place but it was there was too much noise for serious convedstion.

This is for EVERYONE on this thread:

Some of you know me, others don't. I, along with a truly dedicated team of volunteers from Wayne, NJ to Sewell, NJ just spent from last Wednesday evening to last night doing the GSOSS at Raritan Center Expo Hall. As VP for the Coalition of New Jersey Firearm Owners ( http://www.cnjfo.com ), I'm not done yet, as I still have my car to fully unload into my basement and garage. I don't want to "meddle" in other peoples affairs, and I'm EXCITED to see so many great ideas here, so I'll just put the following "out there for further discussion":

CNJFO has incorporated as a Charitable and Educational 501©3 TAX-EXEMPT Non-Profit AND a NJ Non-Profit. We've also applied for a Raffle License from the State of NJ (pending). We're a year old as a CONCEPT, having received our corporate status just a few short months ago in May. It's been a time-consuming and EXPENSIVE journey dealing with the entire course of legal filings to do things right from the start, to the tune of a couple grand in start-up expenses AND the TIME it takes for government entities to respond (Red Tape). From written Bylaws to business cards, from brochures to branding w/ T-shirts, it's been a journey well worth our collective time and efforts. Currently, we're poised to do a whole lotta great things and could use some more help to accomplish our goals AND to implement LOTS of the great ideas written here in this thread! Because we choose to run a fully transparent Pro-2A Corporation, we have several committee-level positions OPEN RIGHT NOW, so ANY or ALL of you could possibly take one of your fantastic ideas from this thread and RUN WITH IT NOW by working for us as a Committee Chairman or Committee Member (YOU pick how DEEP you wish to swim!). As others have stated here $$$$ is the grease that makes the wheels turn, and we're still in need of plenty of THAT to get our http://www.JustifiableNeed.com billboard project up and running. That's why our dedicated volunteers worked so hard at our booth for the entire 4-day Show!

So here's what I wish to propose:

How about some of you folks consider joining CNJFO? Better yet, how about some of you fellow 2A Patriots consider coming to our next Board of Trustees meeting! We hold them at Mastoris Restaurant at the intersection of Rt. 130 and Rt. 206 in Bordentown, NJ (right off NJTP Exit #7) nearer the true center of NJ. It's a well-known and respected meeting place with Diner prices. We were supposed to meet this Thursday, but we're all FRIED from doing the Show, so the new (tentative) date is a week after on January 21st. We start the meeting at 7:30pm, but Matt Andras, CNJFO President, and I can get there earlier to RESERVE A FEW TABLES for you all and do a Q and A session prior to the start of the meeting to answer the vast majority of the usual questions most volunteers have before diving into the DEEP END of the pool. The pay SUCKS and the hours are LONG, but the feeling of ACCOMPLISHMENT is a beautiful thing!

There's PLENTY of room at our table for like-minded volunteers, so please consider what I wrote above^^^ from the heart.

Looking forward to your input and feedback. Suggestions and comments sincerely appreciated. Thank you all for your time and efforts.

For the Board,

David J. "Rosey" Rosenthal, Vice President

Coalition of New Jersey Firearm Owners

NRA Life Member

NRA Double Distinguished Expert Muzzleloading Pistol and Rifle (Country's first)

NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

NRA Certified Instructor

NRA Women On Target Volunteer Instructor

I.D.P.A. Member

U.S.P.S.A. Member

Former Member Board of Trustees Old Bridge Rifle and Pistol Club

PPC Match Director and League Chairman OBRPC

Member of Black Powder and Shotgun Leagues at OBRPC

Delegate to Board of Trustees of Garden State Black powder Assoc.

Chief Range Safety Officer of Garden State Black Powder Assoc.

Member of Leadership for BSA Venturing Crew #85

BSA Merit Badge Counselor for Rifle and Shotgun Shooting

Eagle Scout Dad (Class of 2006)

Member New Jersey State Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs

Pheasant and Hog Hunter, especially w/ Black Powder Arms

Mentor to Women and Kids

Need to look at my calendar. I may take you up on this.

How about we set the date for Sat the 23rd and then decide where to meet. Tentative time to meet say 6:30pm.

Sorry, I don't mean to be the party pooper, but I can't make it on the 23rd.  Generally, a weekday evening would be much better for me.

I'm new, but chiming in with several questions/comments bc this topic interests me. (Fully aware I don't know what's happening "behind the scenes", so take no offense at anything I say...)

My comments are focused on engaging people around NJGF specifically - bc it seems your website serves as a key driver to the various NJ 2A and gun owner groups in your forums. That said, I question how formal or robust your sponsor/membership recruiting plan is... it may in fact be nonexistent due to lack of time/$. I often see NJGF members squabbling over how to focus the members (like vultures fighting over bones, lol)... might it make more sense to focus instead on GROWING your own membership substantially (e.g., more MINIONS for all to share)? People are busy, most don't like to volunteer, your members are also spread all over NJ - those are serious hurdles. So, it seems to me you should target 20,000 members as your 2016 goal - 6000+ is simply not enough critical mass IMO to do what you need to do. Thoughts:

1) Leverage current sponsors >>> I reviewed several sponsor websites - why don't they have a "Proud Sponsor of NJ Gun Forums" link? Do you have/provide a sponsor membership package with marketing materials? (e.g., NJGF posters for their training rooms with room for their instructor's real names & NJGF screen names, NJGF PP slide to add to training courses, flyers for behind the sales counter, biz cards to go with purchases and to be placed in event "swag bags", etc. You need to get your sponsors really driving membership. They already see the value of being on the Forums, so how hard a sell can that be? Directing customers to NJGF is a nice courtesy that they can offer to engage their customers. Everyone wins. What about that radio show from Gun for Hire - I haven't tuned in yet, so I don't know - but has he plugged "his friends at NJ Gun Forums" on those broadcasts? Hopefully so! If not, did you ask?

2) Convert guests to members >>> do you need another new website, or do you just need to improve the one you have? I don't know. But your site could be more intuitive... like a separate tab up top - "FREE Membership!" Why are you making visitors "guess"? And when they join, can the system automatically direct them to "introductions"? The site could also benefit from a jazzy tagline and a much more visually appealing look and feel throughout, but esp'ly on the homepage. Just my blunt opinion - it's bland, might be time for a re-haul!

3) Leverage current members >>> the biz cards are great (pls tell me "Troy" was not the first person to do this?) Nonetheless, it's a great idea. But, what else have you tried? Contests? How about: "Find a Noob, Bring a Noob" - 14 day contest - person who brings the most first time shooters to the range (and posts pictures to prove it) wins a sponsor's gift certificate and gets a special designator on their profile "Gun Community Advocate" (or whatever). Don't laugh - basic human nature: people like contests because they want to win, they like prizes bc it's free stuff, and the titles feed their egos. It's all good! :girlwink:   Follow that with an NJGF membership drive. Who can convert their new gun enthusiasts to NJGF members? If it works, repeat quarterly. If not, try something else!

4) Recruit more sponsors >>> do you regularly go back to folks who declined to be sponsors... ask why, and take another crack at them? If they don't see the value, develop better talking points. If they think it's too costly, maybe you need more affordable tiers. Again, just curious. I do like the idea of regional hubs - very smart - enables a "high touch" sales approach.

OK, sorry for the verbose download! Sometimes I get on a roll as the bewitching hour approaches, lol. FYI, depending on what direction you move in, I might be willing to provide some modest, local support in Hunterdon/Warren, adjoining Pennsy towns, and possibly Somerset. One caveat: my schedule is BONKERS right now - so on volunteer stuff, I set my own rules, work at my own pace, and I'm immune to guilt trips. For instance, that means 1-2 hours a months (probably hitting 1-2 ranges/FFLs each month)... and that's in a good month. By all means, if you find someone with more bandwidth, grab 'em - I won't be offended! Either way, good luck with your planning session!

Thanks Mrs Peel. All great ideas.

I believe the owmer of this site has been asked to put out shirts, baseball caps, etc with the NJGF logo and nothing really has come of it unfortunately.

I believe Troy was first person to do.the business card idea as far as I'm aware.

I think you raise a lot of good ideas and it's nice to hear from the newer forum members. If I may ask, have you ever visited the "Legislative Alerts & Rallys" forum on this site?

Sorry, I don't mean to be the party pooper, but I can't make it on the 23rd. Generally, a weekday evening would be much better for me.

Weekdays I haven't been getting home until 7:30 or 8pm lately. I wouldn't be able to get somewhere to meet umtil prob 8-8:30 at the earliest. My work life kinda sucks right now.

Sorry.

Oops... can't figure out how to copy/reply to an individual posting...sorry!

Anyway, in reply to Gleninjersey: yes, I have browsed through Leg Alerts - as stated, my schedule has been whacked AND I wasn't really fully engaged in the hobby yet. That said, even as a "guest", when I saw an egregious situation outlined on your site (like Shaneen Allen getting railroaded)... it prompted me to go out, do my own investigation (sorry, I never take any single source as gospel)... and I ended up drafting an email to Gov Christie. I mean, I don't care how busy you are... how hard is it to draft an email in the comfort of your own home? I've done that a few times in similar gun issue cases over the last year or two.

So, I don't know what anyone else is doing, but I can say that even as a "guest" I found that particular section informative and it prompted some action on my part. And frankly, writing a letter may seem "meh" to some of the more feisty/activist members on your site, but I think even letter writing serves a purpose. Politicians in NJ might think twice if they got a thousand ticked off letters from their gun-owning constituents. Never rule out the power of the pen (keyboard).

Work beckons... gotta run! Have a pleasant day.

Smoken 50,

You guys still on for the 21st?

YES we are Zeke!  Mastori's Diner at 6:30pm in the Bar area.  We'll have a round table for an hour, and then you can stay for the Trustees meeting if you wish.

I'm calling your cell after I type this.

Dave

YES we are Zeke!  Mastori's Diner at 6:30pm in the Bar area.  We'll have a round table for an hour, and then you can stay for the Trustees meeting if you wish.

I'm calling your cell after I type this.

Dave

TO ALL:

Zeke and I spoke last night.  He's on a work project far from home and can't make tonight's CNJFO Trustees meeting at Mastori's due to work scheduling and timing of his day (these things happen).   

So THAT means we have an EMPTY SLOT looking for a Guest to attend tonight's meeting!  Since I couldn't think of a better place to post the opening than RIGHT HERE, if anyone wishes to come-out and see what we're about, just sound-off NOW and receive your invite!  The Coalition of New Jersey Firearm Owners is OPEN for suggestions, and for the mere price of a Dutch-Treat dinner you'll be brought "up-to-speed" with our 1st year of accomplishments.  So whaddaya say?

Remember that DECISIONS are made by the people IN THE ROOM...........

For the Board,

Rosey