Sign in to follow this  
vm27

338 lapua mag. looking to buy one

hello guys. so i will like to buy a 338 lapua . i will like to know what rifle you guys think its good in that caliper. i am looking for accuracy. i cant spend more than $1800 . i found this one what do you guys think? feel free to let me know what u guys think. 

https://www.gunsamerica.com/917510873/Savage-111-LRH-338LM-19482-NIB.htm

I think that you'll go broke buying ammo for it, and if you handload, I'm not sure if .338LM can be loaded on standard presses (too long?). Even if it can, it is way more gun than is needed for any East Coast ranges. A .308 will suffice in most cases and if you do get the opportunity to stretch it out a bit, a .300 Win Mag may be a better choice.

Not really trying to dissuade you, just want to make sure that you know what you are getting into.

Can somebody comment on the press question?

Adios,

Pizza Bob

PB - it's a tenth of an inch longer than 300 win mag

http://www.huntinggearguy.com/reloading/reloading-for-the-338-lapua-magnum/

Press Considerations

Nothing special needed here. The 338 Lapua Magnum can be reloaded in pretty much any standard press. Below, I have images of the 338 Lapua in a LEE Challenger and LEE Turret Press Classic Cast for comparison. As you can see from the images, they’re both just fine.

I fired the Savage 110BA and to be  honest, I didn't do it for me. You can load in standard press.

30-06 and 300WM COL is 3.340

338 Laupua COL 3.681

If you do reload, plenty of Retumbo around,

Got the Ruger Precision on my list in 6.5 creedmoor.

If the first part of your post begins with, Im on a budget, or I cant spend more than...338 is probably not for you. If you want a caliber that can cover some distance beyond 1k, look at 6.5 creedmore or .260 Remington. Don't forget all the other expenses. Quality spotting scope. Good mounts. Solid glass. It adds up quick.