45Doll

80% Lowers in New Jersey?

Is anyone aware of any laws in New Jersey dealing with the purchase of 80% lowers, and their subsequent finishing and possession?

Please note: I'm not referring to the hassles you might get if found in possession of an unserialized lower or completed rifle you built yourself, especially outside your house. I am interested in specific statutory or administrative code prohibitions.

I can't find any, and a search of the forums didn't turn up a thread on this. 

There are many guns with no serial #s. Getting the 80% lower is not illegal since it is not a gun.

You would probably have do the milling work outside of the PRNJ, or say you did.

You can possess it but you can never sell or transfer it to another person! I also believe it would not be transferable

to your heirs upon your demise!

If you are a prohibited person, you can't possess it!

IANAL but this is what I remember from past discussions!

Allowed to own. You need a manufacturing licence to complete.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Do you happen to have Title 2 or 13 references handy? I didn't see reference to unfinished lower receivers.

And how did you not find any threads lol

The unfinished lower threads were all encrypted.

From our Gun Law Facts section-

2C:39-1 Definitions

j. "Manufacturer" means any person who receives or obtains raw materials or parts and processes them into firearms or finished parts of firearms, except a person who exclusively processes grips, stocks and other nonmetal parts of firearms. The term does not include a person who repairs existing firearms or receives new and used raw materials or parts solely for the repair of existing firearms.

2C:39-1 j  and 2C:39-9 All of it

specifically subsection d

d.tab.gifWeapons.  Any person who manufactures, causes to be manufactured, transports, ships, sells or disposes of any weapon, including gravity knives, switchblade knives, ballistic knives, daggers, dirks, stilettos, billies, blackjacks, metal knuckles, sandclubs, slingshots, cesti or similar leather bands studded with metal filings, or, except as otherwise provided in subsection i. of this section, in the case of firearms if he is not licensed or registered to do so as provided in chapter 58, is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.  Any person who manufactures, causes to be manufactured, transports, ships, sells or disposes of any weapon or other device which projects, releases or emits tear gas or other substances intended to produce temporary physical discomfort or permanent injury through being vaporized or otherwise dispensed in the air, which is intended to be used for any purpose other than for authorized military or law enforcement purposes by duly authorized military or law enforcement personnel or the device is for the purpose of personal self-defense, is pocket-sized and contains not more than three-quarters of an ounce of chemical substance not ordinarily capable of lethal use or of inflicting serious bodily injury, or other than to be used by any person permitted to possess such weapon or device under the provisions of subsection d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5, which is intended for use by financial and other business institutions as part of an integrated security system, placed at fixed locations, for the protection of money and property, by the duly authorized personnel of those institutions, is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

be sure to check back in 2 weeks when this question gets asked again :)

From our Gun Law Facts section-

2C:39-1 Definitions

j. "Manufacturer" means any person who receives or obtains raw materials or parts and processes them into firearms or finished parts of firearms, except a person who exclusively processes grips, stocks and other nonmetal parts of firearms. The term does not include a person who repairs existing firearms or receives new and used raw materials or parts solely for the repair of existing firearms.

Thank you. I found 2C-58 where they referred to manufacturers and wholesalers  'engaging in the business of'. This section makes no such distinction. So as I thought, nix in NJ once again. Thanx siderman.

be sure to check back in 2 weeks when this question gets asked again :)

My search on 80% or 80 Percent lowers didn't turn up anything. Unfinished lowers brought me two.

I apologize for being boring.

it's all good.   its more funny than anything.  

What's really funny is that for a few minutes I actually had the faint hope that it might be legal in NJ! I only had two cups this morning.

Fortunately it's still OK in PA where I plan to be by 1/2018. Or if I'm really determined, I'll go live with my family in PA for a while and finish a lower there. (Probably not, since finished lowers are already in my safe.)

It may be that an unfinished lower kit would be worth having around, if it remains unfinished.

The times they are a changin'.

Or you can just buy a receiver?

Yes, I already have. I was specifically fantasizing about an unserialized lower.

Unfortunately New Jersey is a long way from Fantasy Land. I'm drinking my third cup now.

I know what you wanted. I'm just not sure why it's important to you.

Well right now I would not say it's 'important' to me. It was just another path I considered (fool that I am) towards building an AR-15 from scratch.

Ten years from now the ability to build your own rifle totally from scratch might be important. I'm sure a huge black market will arise if necessary, but participating in one involves other risks.

It really bugs me that in our state you can become a felon and in (almost) every other state your just a collector or an enthusiast on so many unrealistic gun laws here. Is there any other "thing" or hobby that can make you a felon simply by going from one free state to another thats not?? The only thing I can think of are firearms.  

You would need a lot of weed to get a Felony conviction. With all drugs most of the states are about equal on the law.

I don't think Jersey is any tougher on drugs than most other states! We have medical marijuana laws here as well, (Sort of)!!!

It really bugs me that in our state you can become a felon and in (almost) every other state your just a collector or an enthusiast on so many unrealistic gun laws here. Is there any other "thing" or hobby that can make you a felon simply by going from one free state to another thats not?? The only thing I can think of are firearms.  

One can not own venomous reptiles in NJ without a permit (not sure if its a felony or not) but you only have to be 18 in PA.

One can not own venomous reptiles in NJ without a permit (not sure if its a felony or not) but you only have to be 18 in PA.

That is not a Felony. sounds more equivalent to a disorderly persons offense! unless you are talking a whole lot of poisonous snakes!!With intent to distribute!

Good one though! I was not aware of that law since I would not want a poisonous snake to begin with!!

The youngsters here may not remember NJ's most infamous attempt at protecting us from ourselves.   In 1992, NJ banned all commercial food service establishments from serving eggs that weren't hard cooked.    Soft boiled, over easy, sunny side up, scrambled but still runny, eggs benedict, and anything containing raw eggs; hollandaise sauce, Caesar salad dressing--all illegal, and punishable by fines.    This because, nationwide, about two people per year were killed by salmonella.   

http://articles.philly.com/1992-01-14/news/26034383_1_caesar-salads-eggs-new-jersey-health-department

The ban didn't last long; late night comics had a field day, the national press covered the story extensively, and the residents of 49 other states all collectively pointed at NJ and laughed.    The state quietly backed down.

But remember the next time you read about some pending piece of nanny-state legislation and ask yourself 'how stupid are NJ government officials?'  The answer is: 'pretty stupid'.

What's really funny is that for a few minutes I actually had the faint hope that it might be legal in NJ! I only had two cups this morning.

Fortunately it's still OK in PA where I plan to be by 1/2018. Or if I'm really determined, I'll go live with my family in PA for a while and finish a lower there. (Probably not, since finished lowers are already in my safe.)

It may be that an unfinished lower kit would be worth having around, if it remains unfinished.

The times they are a changin'.

What are you trying to accomplish with an 80% lower?

The youngsters here may not remember NJ's most infamous attempt at protecting us from ourselves.   In 1992, NJ banned all commercial food service establishments from serving eggs that weren't hard cooked.    Soft boiled, over easy, sunny side up, scrambled but still runny, eggs benedict, and anything containing raw eggs; hollandaise sauce, Caesar salad dressing--all illegal, and punishable by fines.    This because, nationwide, about two people per year were killed by salmonella.   

http://articles.philly.com/1992-01-14/news/26034383_1_caesar-salads-eggs-new-jersey-health-department

The ban didn't last long; late night comics had a field day, the national press covered the story extensively, and the residents of 49 other states all collectively pointed at NJ and laughed.    The state quietly backed down.

But remember the next time you read about some pending piece of nanny-state legislation and ask yourself 'how stupid are NJ government officials?'  The answer is: 'pretty stupid'.

It's for your own good. Simmer down, subject.