Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyB

New AR 7.62x39 build. Anyone having problem with GT ammo?

I completed a stripped lower and purchased a PSA complete upper with BCG.

I took it to the range and it fired my MFS 7.62x39 ammo fine but with extremely light primer strikes.

I then tried it with Golden Tiger ammo I purchased within this year and had 5 duds in a row, even though the primer strikes looked much better!

I got the Wolff EX hammer spring along with a modified firing pin designed specifically for the hard primers on Russian ammo.

My visit to the range today was better, First, I took all 5 duds from the first visit and they all went bang on the first try. Then I fired more of my MFS

ammo and once again it was flawless with much better primer strikes on the casings than on my first try. I then tried 10 rounds of fresh Golden Tiger

and only 9 went bang despite several reattempts. I would bet if I stuck that round in my Saiga conversion, it would fire!

Anyone else having problems with Golden Tiger 7.62x39 ammo? In AK or AR platforms?

Golden Tiger is supposed to be the good stuff...

I've never had any issues.

Never had any problems with my AK but the AR platform is another story! Even after the spring and firing pin mods!

I now shaved a few thousands of an inch off the back of the bolt. I doubt it will help since from what I read on the net,

this is a common problem with the AR and GT ammo.

I went back to the range and tried to fire the dud round with my AK, no go!  I went on to put a couple hundred rounds of the Golden Tiger down the pipe in my 7.62x39 AR without a problem!

Who says the AR platform can't reliably fire 7.32x39 steel cased Russian ammo? Mine can...At least so far, thanks to the wolff hammer spring and modified firing pin.

This may be total bs, but the files says gt ain't the same as older gt. That's all!

http://www.sgammo.com/product/surplus/1000-rounds-762x39-fmj-123-grain-barnaul-mil-spec-ammo-sealed-bullet-and-primer-lacq

This is the link to the Golden Tiger. I can't find the comment you reference. http://www.sgammo.com/product/golden-tiger/1000-round-case-762x39-fmj-bt-golden-tiger-124-grain-russian-ammo

OP, is there any possibility that the hammer spring is installed incorrectly?

No way! I installed it myself and I can assure you I know why you are asking. A couple of my friends had problems with F2F on their first builds

and that is exactly where they went wrong. I always look there first now.