Sign in to follow this  
fishnut

over under for pheasant hunting

I want to get an over under because I'm lacking with my long shots with my mossy 500. I am looking for recomendations for an over under. My price point is 1k max and it has to have ejectors. I'd like to keep the weight under 8lbs. I also don't want a brand new model, I want something that's been around for a while and has been field tested. That way I can find a used one, this is going to be a field gun and it's gonna get beat up so nothing pretty.

I really like my Citori, although it may be a bit above the 8 lbs.  you may have to shop around to find one for $1000.  But if you can find one, you'll like it too.  Mine has the 26" barrels for hunting, only because I couldn't get 24" barrels.  It's well balanced and carries well all day.  For me it points well and fits me.  If I can ever get to another shootout at Clinton, you're more than welcome to try it out.

Keys for a pheasant hunting O/U are:

1: Shorter barrel length for faster swing and target acquisition.  26" are mostly preferred where heavy cover exists. You will, however, see longer barrels for open spaces and where crossing targets appear more often.  Have to know your ability to acquire the target and how the target presents it's self.

2. Lightweight for faster swinging. Real good ones are 6.5 - 7.0 lbs.  Balance is the real key here, if you have trouble handling a light or featherweight, it will be horrible to shoot. Lighter weight also increases perceived recoil so you will not be standing on a trap range all day shooting it, otherwise Ben-Gay Mondays.

3.. Ejectors for faster reloading.

You will have to try several to see what ones work for you.  Hard to say which will work best.  I know hunters who have two or three different setups, and the first words out of their mouth are "Where we going?", so they take the right O/U.

CZ Wingshooter Elite may be a good place to start, 28" barrels, ejectors, 7.4 pounds, MSRP around 1K.

RJ- I would love to shoot your citori, and I don't "need" the gun until next fall so I have time to hunt for one if I go that route.

Tbill- thanks for the good info. I don't hunt allot of heavy cover so I was leaning towards 28" barrrels. I'll definitely check out that CZ.

I want to get an over under because I'm lacking with my long shots with my mossy 500. I am looking for recomendations for an over under. My price point is 1k max and it has to have ejectors. I'd like to keep the weight under 8lbs. I also don't want a brand new model, I want something that's been around for a while and has been field tested. That way I can find a used one, this is going to be a field gun and it's gonna get beat up so nothing pretty.

Citori, or any older Miroku-import from Charles Daly from the 60's - 70's, w/ fixed chokes if you can tolerate them, or an older Beretta like a Silver Snipe or the early BL-series, or an SKB would be some good, sound examples to look for. You can probably find some in your price range too. 

If you are hunting over a pointing dog, you can get by with a 20 ga. for pheasant and this will keep the weight to 6 lbs. or a tad heavier. Perfect for carrying and walking all day. 

An "older" O/U example: 

http://www.dogsanddoubles.com/2014/07/good-gun-alert-a-20-gauge-beretta-bl-4-over-under/

Thanks parker! That's the stuff I was looking for. I'm going to stick with 12g for now because I don't get to hunt with a dog all the time because I done have a bird dog..........yet.

You can luck into a stocked bird occasionally when alone

photo-4_zpsng9w32cb.jpg

But nothing beats a good bird dog. 

101309-1.jpg

I've been hunting birds (mostly pheasant) for the last 19 years on and off. This season is The first season I have had the pleasure of hunting with a dog. I'm hooked all over again! I'm a dog person so I love the whole experience and if I did not have a kid on the way I would be getting a Vizsla this spring LOL. I've jumped my fare share of stocked birds by my self but man I love when that dog goes on point and the dog is only 8 months old so the hunting is only going to get better. Maybe he will stop pointing at air planes soon LMAO.

I've been hunting birds (mostly pheasant) for the last 19 years on and off. This season is The first season I have had the pleasure of hunting with a dog. I'm hooked all over again! I'm a dog person so I love the whole experience and if I did not have a kid on the way I would be getting a Vizsla this spring LOL. I've jumped my fare share of stocked birds by my self but man I love when that dog goes on point and the dog is only 8 months old so the hunting is only going to get better. Maybe he will stop pointing at air planes soon LMAO.

Vizsla's are nice, close working dogs. It's earned them the nickname "Velcro dog." 

Any dog that can find and hold birds, find downed and crippled birds and retrieve them to hand is worth his weight in gold. Just takes a lot of patience, work and lots and lots of birds for them to learn and they'll turn out okay.

I lost my dog in May after almost thirteen years. They say a man's entitled to one good dog and one good woman in a lifetime. I'd like to think that I had that luxury. 

IMG_0860.jpg