S14Swap240sx

Ar-9, who has built, or building them?

Anyone looking into Glock Ar Lowers, or have built?

New Frontier, Palmetto, Quarter Circle 10 all seem to have products rolling out, even Joe Bobs with a Spartan lower.

The way i look at is if you have the glock why not and its a cheap alternative to something like the HK USC.

Anyone have any experience on a build like this? Let me know, it seems like there are a lot of new products, hopefully most are good quality parts but you never know!

I built a .40 Glock AR - I wanted an AR platform to shoot at steel matches. It allows me to practice with a gun that has the same manual of arms as the rifle I carry for work.

3E1C77E7-0FDC-415C-AE04-998E77BCE68B_zps

I used a QC10 lower and started with a Ron Williams DI upper. I could not get that upper to run reliably. I tried a dozen different fixes in a hundred different configurations with no joy. I contacted Ron and he was moderately helpful, but it boiled down to him just telling me "It worked for me at the shop." Meh... I think it is grossly undergassed, but I can't tell for sure. It's sitting in the safe waiting for the day I have the patience to work on it again.

So, instead, I built a blowback upper with a .40 barrel and .40 bolt from QC10. I slapped them onto a VLTOR upper I had laying around, installed an H2 buffer and Wolff overpower action spring in the lower, and headed off to the range.

The thing runs like a sewing machine and the LRBHO works after a slight trim to the bolt catch spring. I am very pleased. :D

I am very interested in checking out the New Frontier Arms Glock upper that contains the LRBHO.

I am sure I would be just as pleased with a 9mm, but all my Glocks and mags are .40, so it made sense to stay with that caliber rather than getting into a whole new one.

• Like 1

I have a .45 upper shipping on Monday... but D/I instead of blowback.

I'm going to use USC magazines until Macon Armory comes out with their new steel magazines, which I have been told will be made in 15 round capacity. Really can't wait until it arrives and I get some rounds through it.

I used a QC10 lower and started with a Ron Williams DI upper. I could not get that upper to run reliably. I tried a dozen different fixes in a hundred different configurations with no joy. I contacted Ron and he was moderately helpful, but it boiled down to him just telling me "It worked for me at the shop." Meh... I think it is grossly undergassed, but I can't tell for sure. It's sitting in the safe waiting for the day I have the patience to work on it again.

I'm interested in hearing what fixes you tried.  I'm wondering if changing the buffer spring or a lighter buffer would help.  If you think it's the gas, maybe drill a bigger hole for the gas.

I just built a QC10 in 9mm.  I haven't tried it yet.  I just need to find time to go to the range.

I also have a QC10 large frame waiting to be assembled.  I'm most likely going with the QC10 45 barrel and BCG for that build when I have more funds.

I did quite a bit of research.  It all started with a deal on Slickguns on AR-9 lowers and then I just went researching as much as I can.  When I did my research, everyone seemed to refer to DDLES lowers were the best which was acquired by QC10.  Other options for lowers that run on Glock mags were the Lone Wolf and New Frontier Armory.  Joe Bob's is a NFA lower.  Runner Runner Guns is also a NFA lower.  JP rifles also makes the GMR-13 but it's pretty pricey.  PSA released a new one for Glock mags but this was released after I got mine and I haven't found too much info on it.

I like the QC10 lower as it has the bolt hold without a special upper although it requires specialized parts.  If you break them, you can only order them from QC10 but the good thing is that I can use any upper receiver.

I was interested in the NFA but you need a specialized upper for the bolt hold.  When I purchased mine at the end of last year, the upper was still not out so I did not want to wait.

I was not a big fan of the look of the Lone Wolf so I did not even consider it.  I was considering the JP GMR-13 but it did not have bolt hold.  I was so close to buying one until I found this out.  I've seen a few JP GMR-13's in the USPSA PCC division and they run like sewing machines.

I only considered lowers that accepted Glock mags as I have a Glock and the mags already.  I also didn't want to go thru the trouble of getting a Colt and then finding pinned mags.  I'm sure you could buy the Colt mags and pin them in another state but I didn't want to go that route.

If bolt hold doesn't matter to you, you have many options.

For my build, I used the QC10 lower, JP 9mm barrel, bolt, muzzle brake and silent capture spring and of course Glock mags.  Everything else is pretty much standard AR stuff.

They do not sell any AR lowers to NJ. It's just too complicated to sell to NJ so they took the safer route to not sell to NJ. You can blame the complicated rules of NJ.

There are plenty of places that sell to NJ at the same price if not better. Many of the AR 9 lowers are just re-badged NFA lowers with choice of roll marks.

My NFA upper arrived today.

Tomorrow I will get a chance to mess with it. First blush it is a nice upper and the LEBHO is a simple and elegant design that appears more robust than the QC10 version.

I'd be interested in pictures of this when you have them. I've been looking everywhere for pictures on how the LBHO feature works. I'm sure there's a video that will pop up on YouTube at some point.

Sorry for the mediocre pics. Best I could do on short notice.

Right side:

ABDDBD57-757A-4317-862B-E7CC95834E61_zps

Slick-side upper with no dust cover and no brass deflector.

Left Side:

7DD232D5-82A5-4997-A254-EAB63B5C3283_zps

That rod with the 90deg up-turn is the LRBHO feature.

When assembled to a lower, it sits behind the bolt release paddle:

CDB40DA0-7155-4E90-9A86-D89847327BFE_zps

Here is the other end of the rod, inside the upper:

8D1EFB07-45F5-4488-B665-892EEE72E2F2_zps

Closer view:

837EA7B5-37A6-46DB-BDED-F9D192E0A7FE_zps

It engages with the follower on an empty mag like so:

C4485895-217A-438C-88A1-9A8601C7C527_zps

When the follower pushes the rod up on the inside of the upper, it makes the end behind the bolt catch face out. The rod pushes the bolt catch out, locking the bolt to the rear.

So blow back 9mm is fine, and di for .45?

Blowback is fine for .45, as well... but the weight of the buffer and bolt is going to be night and day compared to a D/I gun. The rifle I pictured weighs 5.6 pounds.

9mm isn't reliable enough for companies to do in D/I. From what I read, the port for the gas tube is so close to the chamber mouth that parts of the bullet jacket end up in the gas tube... and being too big to vent out, jam the bolt carrier.

If the MPX carbine is the same as the pistol the threading is proprietary metric and they ship with a flash hider. I have a liberty suppressor and fortunately Liberty will custom make their adapters for their can. I don't know if you'll be able to find a muzzle brake. The carbine barrel may not have the same threading but make sure you check it out or you'll have a hell of a time making it complaint.

The stock in the images looks like it will pose some challenges to pin as well but I'm sure someone will figure it out.

Lantac makes a brake for the MPX already. I'm sure smart manufacturers will follow suit. It's not hard to change your thread pattern if you have an existing brake. They do not need to redesign the ports for the brake or anything.

It's rumored to be a 16" barrel. Cut it to 14.5", thread it and put your own muzzle device on it. Shouldn't be too hard, or too expensive, if you have your heart set on the MPX Carbine.

So I understand this. I couldn't just leave it stock because it will have a flash hider right? Couldn't it just be crowned?

The stock is adjustable so that needs to be pinned somehow right? And lastly the magazines need to be pinned too.

Is that all of it?

I want one of these and I am fine with a crowned barrel.