Sign in to follow this  
fatty

FFL Transfers

Just curious what others experience with FFL transfers:

1.  Does your FFL open the box and inspect the gun before you arrive and see it for the first time?

or

2.  Does your FFL only log the serial # on the box and wait for you to arrive before the box is opened so both parties can see at the same time?

I've had both scenarios over the years and #1 kinda pisses me off.  What if your gun has been handled/marred by some retarded shop employee (or even worse - fired, cleaned up, and then put back in the box) without you knowing and you're told that's just how it came? 

My FFL does #1 in your question.

Myself I am fine with that. I travel A lot and there have been times that A gun is delivered to him and I'm not in town.

This way if there is A issue he knows what is coming and how to get in touch with me, In case of an issue.

This way  it can be addressed within the agreed upon inspection time.

I dont buy A gun that would need to go thru my FFL without A minimum 3 day inspection/return option.

I have only bought one NIB gun online, as the shops that I deal with always work with online pricing if I find something that I want online that they have.

I guess that is why its important to have A FFL that you trust and depend on.

I've had two rifles shipped to two separate FFL's for transfers. Rifle A I know they opened and inspected the rifle before I got there. Rifle B I'm not really sure if they inspected it before I got there, but he didn't have to cut any tape to open the box so I'm going to assume they did. 

Two things...

1) I have no issue with them inspecting the item before I get there so they can notify me of a problem if there is one.

2) Why would you send an item to an FFL that you do not trust to do just that? Or one that you trust to NOT shoot your brand new firearm you purchased?

Maybe I'm being overly anal about it.. Not saying I don't trust my FFL but I guess I would prefer to witness the condition for myself.

I know one FFL that always opens the box in front of the buyer and I've always had more appreciation for it.

Both places had me inspect the item myself before I even started any of the transfer papers. Wouldn't that also be part of the process, that if you see something wrong they would help or witness it so that you could contact the original seller and have it replaced?

I would think #1 would need to happen just for the FFL's sake. What if there was a mix up from where ever it got shipped from and the SN on the gun didn't match what was in the box. Easier to nip that in the bud than lets say if one couldn't get to the FFL for sometime for whatever reason, work, travel, sick etc.

The FFL needs to record the make, model, serial number, and where he got the firearm within a certain time period. Unless you get there within that time period he has to do #1. Thats been done every time the gun goes from a manufacturer to distributor to dealer to dealer.

The FFL needs to record the make, model, serial number, and where he got the firearm within a certain time period. Unless you get there within that time period he has to do #1. Thats been done every time the gun goes from a manufacturer to distributor to dealer to dealer.

This^^^^^^      and the ATF likes the firearms to be tagged as well......

If you're that worried about it, track the package, and drop everything and go pick it up when it arrives.

I had a guy buy a $13,000 rifle that I transferred for him, I was glad to have him come right away to pick it up.

Cmon. It's not like he fondles firearms he sees them every day.

As stated above. Worry more about the shipper not the receiver. I had a shotgun sent from cabelas to my FFL. The ass wipe who packed the gun cranked the forend cap down so hard it locked on the shaft. Anybody who knows 1 thing about Berettas you dont crank the cap down. #2 had another semi auto shipped. I knew no case "it's okay I will wrap the gun good". Bullshit he did just wrapped the receiver and left the barrel to rattle ariund in the box. My FFL sent me a picture when it showed up "this is how it came". I'm happy they open the boxes beforehand

This^^^^^^      and the ATF likes the firearms to be tagged as well......

If you're that worried about it, track the package, and drop everything and go pick it up when it arrives.

I had a guy buy a $13,000 rifle that I transferred for him, I was glad to have him come right away to pick it up.

Oh yes forgot to mention that both the rifles at both the FFL's were tagged.