Ace08066

That time o' the year, again... Thinking of picking up an AK. Reccomendations?

Hey all.  Well, last year I took my first step into the world of rifles with a M&P-15.  Had a blast buying and subsequently re-selling mods (Or throwing them in the closet...), getting the perfect fit and plowing through more lead than a Detroit gang.  It's that time o' the year again and I'm getting itchy for an AK.  I have a buddy that is an AK enthusiast to say the least, but he lives in PA so every single link he gave me to look at was either stamped "AK-47" (Which as we all know makes it an evil "assault" weapon, capable of wreaking mass havoc if left unattended!), or for some other reason was not NJ-compliant.  He did point me towards Century Arms which seemed to have a few NJ-compliant models, but I figured I'd throw a post up here and see what recommendations you folks could give me.  

Basically; When I was looking around for an AR-15 I wanted something cheap and effective, nothing flashy and no paying extra for unnecessary features.  Every sign pretty much pointed to the M&P-15, and I ended up going with that.  I'm looking for the M&P-15 equivalent AK-47, if that makes sense.  Standard 7.62x39, not interested in one chambered in 5.56.  Part of the reason I want an AK is to broaden my ammo spectrum, so I have something to play with if either round goes into short supply and I don't want to patronize the price gougers.  Also looking for 15/30 pinned AK mags after I find one, so if you've got a line on those I'm interested as well.

JTcustomguns is a vendor here. He's got a good selection of AKs already NJ compliant in south jersey

I would recommend an Arsenal... SAM7R

Wasrs are good as well as DDI, zastava npaps/opaps, saigas, etc... Just stay clear of IO, Inc

Tons to choose from really. Most If not all would serve you well.

Atlanticfirearms.com is a superb online vendor

I purchased a Century arms AK from Steve @ Monmouth Arms. Steve is a great guy and fun to chat with. His prices are competitive as well. I purchased the Magpul version. It cost a couple of bucks more but I like the Magpul accessories. In the end, I would have customized it and it would have been a bit more if I purchased the standard version. Anyhow, Steve usually has them in stock and they are completely NJ legal. He also has the Magpul mags blocked to 15 rounds.

I love the gun and it hasn't missed a single beat in several hundred rounds...Oh, and it is made in the USA!

That JT Customs is a ways away from me, but I'm thinking about taking the trip out there. None of the local shops have a huge stock of AK variants to pick from. A friend told me the DE Cabella's has quite a few used ones on the rack as of the last time he was there, but I'm sure all of them have the threaded barrel...  Might take a trip down there anyway, if I can pick one up at a good price I can always bring it home and weld whatever muzzle break it comes with.  

Thanks for all the great suggestions guys!  Definitely looking into a WASR-10.  Watched a bunch of videos reviewing them / torture testing them...  Won't be dragging a rifle through a lake bed any time soon but I suppose it's nice to know I could.  lmao

The one and only complaint that I had about my SAM7 was the intermediate length buttstock which I could never get comfortable with.

I solved the problem by pulling that one out and replacing it with a Warsaw length Polish stock. It took a decent amount of sanding to get it fitted correctly, but the effort was well worth it.

The SAM7 is a really nice rifle and ironically, as stated above, there is one available on the forum.

You can't go wrong with most AK's nowadays. There are some to stay away from but there are plenty of good ones to choose from (most of which were stated). SAR-1's are really nice shooters and don't need any compliance work done.

The one and only complaint that I had about my SAM7 was the intermediate length buttstock which I could never get comfortable with.

I solved the problem by pulling that one out and replacing it with a Warsaw length Polish stock. It took a decent amount of sanding to get it fitted correctly, but the effort was well worth it.

Same here. Got lucky and sourced a cheap Warsaw replacement.

SAIGA!!!!!!!!

19907436979_4bed0b30e0_c.jpg

Oh god if I'm buying a Saiga it's gonna be that sexy ass beautiful piece of lovely cast metal which is their semi-automatic 12 guage...  Oh sweet baby Jesus!  My buddy has one...  Oh god I've never had so much fun with a shotgun.  Of coarse we aren't allowed to have such evil creations here in New Jersey...  So BAH!  Their AK's are expensive I've been told.

Oh god if I'm buying a Saiga it's gonna be that sexy ass beautiful piece of lovely cast metal which is their semi-automatic 12 guage...  Oh sweet baby Jesus!  My buddy has one...  Oh god I've never had so much fun with a shotgun.  Of coarse we aren't allowed to have such evil creations here in New Jersey...  So BAH!  Their AK's are expensive I've been told.

The Saiga Is not expensive. You buy a Saiga in original condition and do the AK conversion yourself. The best part is you choose the furniture for your build! Arsenal buys the Saiga and converts it for you and you pay $$$ for their labor when you can easily do it yourself with a drill and a Dremmil tool and have it your way!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 
January 11, 2016

PRODUCT AVAILABILITY NOTICE
SLR-107FR Out of Stock

LAS VEGAS, NV – Last year Arsenal, Inc. has sent out a number of releases regarding the SLR-107FR rifles as this model kept getting in and out of stock and inquiries from the consumers and dealers kept flocking in. We have been working hard to keep this flagship model in consistent supply in the US market. We succeeded with our mission in the second half of the year 2015. 

We begin this year with an announcement that as of January 11, 2016, all SLR-107FR rifles that were manufactured by Arsenal, Inc. have been shipped out to our distributors. This includes all SLR-107FR model configurations – SLR107-31, SLR107-32, SLR107-33, SLR107-34, and SLR107-36. While there are still units in the pipelines with the distributors, dealers, and retail outlets, there will be no additional units shipped out from Arsenal at least for the rest of the year 2016.

###