rpm07

Getting started

Get Lyman's 49th Reloading manual and begin reading.  Find someone to help show you the ropes, mentors are an invaluable resource for this activity.  Ask questions here, plenty on knowledge on this board.

Yeah so 9mm straightwall. Its probably the easiest way to start and less to go wrong. Rifle cartriges are a kinda whole different thing. Depending how accurate you want to be. Are you anywhere near central west jersey. Ill show you what i know. Limited. But ive got atleast some sort of grasp on it. Luckily. I was able to con pizza bob to come over and get me started. I owe him dearly for that. Once you get the basic knowledge of it that it transcendes to most cartridge reloading. Ill be available for about the next month or so. Past that im back to work and dont ask. Pm me if you want. What press and dies did you get?

Just saw where your from.

Youre about 1.25 hrs from me.

Honestly reloading 223 isn't harder per say..it's just way more involved regarding brass prep and there are so any different ways to end up at the same place. Finding what works best for you within your budget and time is half the battle.

9mm isn't straight either -- It's a tapered case -- 45acp is straight

9mm is ok to start with but it sticks a little in the sizing die -- a little lube works wonders 

.223 is easy too  just a little more involved in a bottleneck case

Ask questions,  Don't buy a kit, ask before you buy anything -- we'll save you money and time

I say start off with a rock chucker single stage press -- it will never go bad 

Start slow and learn what you are doing

9mm isn't straight either -- It's a tapered case 

9mm is ok to start with but it sticks a little in the sizing die -- a little lube works wonders 

Reloading 9 mm actually "converts" the case to a straight-walled configuration if you are using carbide dies - which preclude the use of lubrication. Often you will see the reloaded cartridge take on an hour-glass shape once the bullet is seated.

Don't trust recipes that someone's uncle Bob used. It's best to use recipes from legitimate sources only for safety reasons.

I would emphasize current legitimate sources. I have many reloading manuals from the 80's into the 90's in which the max load data was arrived at by dynamic means - examination of the case & primer, sticky extraction, etc. Wasn't until Speer #9 Loading manual that actual pressure transducers were used - and it was later than that before they were used exclusively. In later manuals you will likely find max loads reduced considerably over what was published 10 years prior because now they have actual empirical data upon which to formulate the loads.

Adios,

Pizza Bob