Rob0115

AK builders

Anyone ever buy a parts kit from AK builders? Their reputation seems very solid in other places. I have a Nodak Spud receiver that I was considering for a short barreled AK.

Sounds like a great project. Are you looking to build it yourself or having someone else build it for you?

A lot of guys over at akfiles have been converting Zastava PAP M92PV or Romanian AK Draco pistols and slapping on the Stormwerkz folding mechanism and Manticorearms triangle stock combo and calling it done.

Here is an example:

maxresdefault.jpg

I'm insure if I'll do it or not. I'll get the kit and assess whether or not it's a good idea. It's 74 not a 47. If it goes well I'll do another. Nodak spud receivers appear to get reviews by the folks at akfiles. I think I'll want to shorten the barrel. There's a few adapters for folding stock. I haven't decided on the stock yet.

Most online companies that sell parts kits are good to go. I've ordered them from Atlantic, AOA, AK builders, Apex, etc and there has been no issue.

I would recommend Chris Butler at AK-USA, Mark Graham (gunplumbr on other forums), Azex, Mario at POHF, and some others. Krebs, Fuller, Chase at Definitive - they are all the more well known builders and they do build fine firearms but their waiting lists tend to be a bit ridiculous and their prices are double of what some smaller builders charge. 

Side note, I am unsure how much AK knowledge you have but if you are looking to keep the value of your AK or have it increase in value, I wouldn't go the route of custom building it. Shaving the bayo lug, welding the brake, as well as paying the prices of having it custom built will not recoup the cost when you go to resell it. You will probably pay $200-350 to have it built, $100 to chop and rethread barrel, another $150 on cerakote or something of the sort, maybe $50 to weld and shave. Plus shipping and transfer. Just right there say an average of $500 plus your parts kit and your barrel. Round it off to $1000 or so. You can try selling it at $1000 but it will sit. Someone will buy it for $750 or so. Many people don't realize this, that is why I wanted to inform you.

Also, you say you want an SBR? Unfortunately a regular NJ citizen can't own them - the shortest you can go is 14.5'' with a 2.5'' welded and pinned brake to comply with federal law to make 16''. Not really a SBR but just a lightly shortened barrel. Again, not sure if you know all this but just wanted to clarify in case you didn't!

Also, you say you want an SBR? Unfortunately a regular NJ citizen can't own them - the shortest you can go is 14.5'' with a 2.5'' welded and pinned brake to comply with federal law to make 16''. Not really a SBR but just a lightly shortened barrel. Again, not sure if you know all this but just wanted to clarify in case you didn't!

I think he's a FL resident 1/2 the year. 

And your math is a bit wonky 14.5 + 2.5 = 17. I think you meant 1.5" brake.

I think he's a FL resident 1/2 the year.

And your math is a bit wonky 14.5 + 2.5 = 17. I think you meant 1.5" brake.

'

You are correct and I'd keep it Florida so I can have a proper stock on it too.

Most online companies that sell parts kits are good to go. I've ordered them from Atlantic, AOA, AK builders, Apex, etc and there has been no issue.

I would recommend Chris Butler at AK-USA, Mark Graham (gunplumbr on other forums), Azex, Mario at POHF, and some others. Krebs, Fuller, Chase at Definitive - they are all the more well known builders and they do build fine firearms but their waiting lists tend to be a bit ridiculous and their prices are double of what some smaller builders charge. 

Side note, I am unsure how much AK knowledge you have but if you are looking to keep the value of your AK or have it increase in value, I wouldn't go the route of custom building it. Shaving the bayo lug, welding the brake, as well as paying the prices of having it custom built will not recoup the cost when you go to resell it. You will probably pay $200-350 to have it built, $100 to chop and rethread barrel, another $150 on cerakote or something of the sort, maybe $50 to weld and shave. Plus shipping and transfer. Just right there say an average of $500 plus your parts kit and your barrel. Round it off to $1000 or so. You can try selling it at $1000 but it will sit. Someone will buy it for $750 or so. Many people don't realize this, that is why I wanted to inform you.

I'm not going to shave the lug or pin the brake. I'll keep,it in Florida. It's a Nodak spud receiver so it isn't original anyway. I don't see anything with an after market receiver being worth very much ever. I'll do some investigating into some of the items you mention above.

My AK knowledge is modest but I'm a quick learner. Thanks for all this detail.

I've purchased all kinds of tools from ak-builder and I've heard good things about his kit quality. Most of the kits I bought years ago when everybody had original barrel kits so I can't comment directly about the quality of the kits specifically. All the kits I've built have been on NODAK Spud receivers. Hope this helps.

do I smell an AK build party?  

anyone here actually have the tools/equipment to properly build one?  hydraulic press, riveting jigs, head space gauges, barrel jigs, etc... the tooling alone costs a good chunk of change... jigs (250-300), press (100-150), head space gauges (no idea but I'd guess around $70), random odds and ends

I considered buying a setup but unless I was going to be building several AK's I couldn't justify the cost 

I've also read that parts kits aren't always to spec (front/rear trunnions, etc), so things could get wonky if you aren't careful.  

AKOU and definitive arms have some good videos on builds as reference but they're obviously on a different level compared to a home-build

I've only built off of NoDak receivers, both pre-drilled and blanks. It's really easy with the right tools and a little time. Mismatched parts are what make it challenging. Plain Jane builds or slip fit parts aren't very fun. It just turns into an AR "build".

I used to buy the predrilled receivers but the holes rarely line up so its easier to drill them yourselves.

I have the equipment but lack the space, however have jigs will travel. I've seen people build them in less than an hour using a hammer, and cobbled together bits of metal. You can go crazy with jigs or you can build most of it with relatively simple tools, drills, files a BFH etc. I found a hydraulic press works pretty well for removing the barrel and setting the rivets but ive considered picking up a screw driven jig to reinstall the barrels as it gives you a lot more control than the press. Most build parties ive heard of usually recommend you demill the parts kit first (If necessary) as this step can be a huge time consuming PITA. I hope this helps.

Sounds like a great project. Are you looking to build it yourself or having someone else build it for you?

A lot of guys over at akfiles have been converting Zastava PAP M92PV or Romanian AK Draco pistols and slapping on the Stormwerkz folding mechanism and Manticorearms triangle stock combo and calling it done.

Here is an example:

maxresdefault.jpg

my TWO M92 builds are almost done.  They include a pinned side folder.  Will be bada$$!  =this is what it was modeled after:

http://s1335.photobucket.com/user/islandspiritways/media/M92%20Build/M92%20Refinish%20March%202014/DSC_00642_zps9c417c9c.jpg.html

my TWO M92 builds are almost done. They include a pinned side folder. Will be bada$$! =this is what it was modeled after:

http://s1335.photobucket.com/user/islandspiritways/media/M92%20Build/M92%20Refinish%20March%202014/DSC_00642_zps9c417c9c.jpg.html

If you built them yourself then you'd already have them ;) This is my latest creation, Krinkenstein. 10.5" barreled Krink that accepts full size furniture, with custom length gas tube, custom length piston, and bunch of mismatched parts. I put a folding rear trunnion on it so it can be SBR'ed. It's also the same size as a M92. It lives out of state with my other fun stuff and please disregard my stupid Instagram narwhal watermark lol

FD5C8556-1637-475F-88AF-9E00E3EA8AF1_zps

0E2A346F-E71E-4D67-B347-B6ECECAF99B9_zps

D6FC29E0-27C6-4D59-AE45-18C3708D5021_zps

Nice work! Krink kits have always been ridiculously expensive for some reason, but I'd love to build one as a sbr out of state at some point. You use a full krink kit or are you just using the krink top cover and fsb and fabricate the rest?

The top cover and rear hinge block are the only Krink parts. The gas block/front sight block combo is for a Bulgarian CR, original 1960 milled Polish carrier, East German gas tube and lower retainer, ALG AK-T trigger, Apex paddle mag release, AMT US made barrel trunnion, AK-builder rear folding trunnion. Not pictured is a JMac AK-104 booster and JMac Mod-2 M4 stock adapter.

If you built them yourself then you'd already have them ;) This is my latest creation, Krinkenstein. 10.5" barreled Krink that accepts full size furniture, with custom length gas tube, custom length piston, and bunch of mismatched parts. I put a folding rear trunnion on it so it can be SBR'ed. It's also the same size as a M92. It lives out of state with my other fun stuff and please disregard my stupid Instagram narwhal watermark lol

Wow.  These are really cool.  

Yeah, I believe both guys have full time jobs and do this on the side. When i went to pick up my can, the guy that does the custom work was in St. Augustine visiting a dying relative and the other guy was at work.

I had to go back the next day and the guy told me he would eat the background check since I had to come back another time. I appreciated his offer, but paid him just the same.

Every time I called the number on the website, I got a hold of one of them. I have their cells if you can't get them and want it.