Redstachio

First AK Variant Purchase

Evening fellas...

I'm looking for some advice for my first AK variant rifle...been reading a few (ok, a lot) threads here and there on this forum and ak files and figured I would start my own...felt like being a special snowflake tonight.

I'm well up to speed on the legal requirements...Looking to spend 6-800 including whatever compliance alterations may be required depending on the gun. Not opposed to the WASR 10, but wanted to consider all the options available. The DIY Saiga conversion is out of my comfort zone and I'm not crazy about the PAP rifles. And although it is not a major deciding factor, I'd prefer wood furniture which I can switich out for a composite of my choice later on. 

Whatever I do end up with will not see heavy use and will strictly be a range/plink gun...maybe 1,000 rounds a year depending on how often I can get the hell out of Hudson county.

Thanks 

The Yugo's right now…err Serbians…are great buys if you can find one. Not sure why you cancel them out right away. Not putting down WASR's because I like them but IMO, the Zastava's are a better buy than your normal WASR right now. Check out DDI and Lee Armory for a nice domestic built AK. 

The Saiga Conversion really is simple and gives you a lot more bang for the buck even at inflated Saiga prices they can still be found under $600 and conversion parts cost another $250. Check out Danzig arms for step by step instructions. Whatever you do get chrome lined barrel. A guy on the Mewe group has a nice looking polish Radom AK asking $700 pretty sure it's chrome lined

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The Saiga Conversion really is simple and gives you a lot more bang for the buck even at inflated Saiga prices they can still be found under $600 and conversion parts cost another $250. Check out Danzig arms for step by step instructions. Whatever you do get chrome lined barrel. A guy on the Mewe group has a nice looking polish Radom AK asking $700 pretty sure it's chrome lined

It's now cheaper to buy one that already has the pg conversion done.

It's now cheaper to buy one that already has the pg conversion done.

I've seen a couple for sale, but none under $800. A friend of mine is looking for one do you have any links you could share? It would be much appreciated.

I've seen a couple for sale, but none under $800. A friend of mine is looking for one do you have any links you could share? It would be much appreciated.

Atlantic had them for under 700 a little while ago. Not sure if they still have them in stock..ask JT here on the forums. I believe he had some.

Atlantic had them for under 700 a little while ago. Not sure if they still have them in stock..ask JT here on the forums. I believe he had some.

I believe JT did but he was asking $850 when I inquired. Last time I checked Atlantic they were sold out. I will check Atlantic again.

That is highway robbery lol!

Agreed. Paid $360 new for my Saiga 7.62 right before ban and turned it into East German Style AK for another $140 so $500 all in. Just picked up a slightly used Saiga 5.45 shipped from California for $560. I can convert and put real Russian Furniture on for less than $850.

If you're going to get a PG converted Saiga, spend the extra couple hundred bucks and get an Arsenal. Front end is factory and everything is built in Bulgaria instead of your shed (if you do the complete conversion yourself.)

^ This

I've seen a few SAM7R models on GB between 800-1000.  AKFiles has good deals once in a while too

OR

Pick up the MAK90 in the classifieds.  those are exceptional AK's