siderman

Would you eat this?

“Deer warts” or cutaneous fibromas

nathan_pyle_deerwarts1.jpg

Cutaneous fibromas are not a pretty sight. The warts caused by the virus are generally gray or black in color and can grow anywhere on a deer. Image courtesy Nathan Pyle/Quality Deer Management Association.

Perhaps the strangest-looking entry on this list is the condition commonly known as “deer warts.”

No, it’s not a severe case of deer acne, but the grotesque and wartlike growths called cutaneous fibromas may leave some outdoorsmen confused. Common questions are often: is the meat safe to eat? Is it a symptom of chronic wasting disease? Is it contagious?

The answers would be yes, no, and no, respectively. Cutaneous fibromas are caused by a virus that affects the skin. Bucks are more likely to contract the virus through wounds, often after a fight with another male or by rubbing antlers on a tree. Other modes of infection involve biting insects, which seem to be a never-ending hazard for deer. The virus that causes cutaneous fibromas is found throughout the entirety of the whitetail deer’s range.

This bizarre disease is also perhaps the least dangerous one on the list. Although cutaneous fibromas can cause death by either blinding the deer, rendering it immobile, or growing in such a way that it finds it difficult to eat, the disease is usually not fatal.

The meat from a deer with this condition is good to eat, granted that there has been no bacterial infection.

It's just plain disgusting. I know it's only a stupid deer but JHC. Almost as bad IMO as the sickening post that caused the mods to kill that thread that a certain unmentionable individual had taken over, the one that was locked a few days ago.

Cancer hemorrhoids emphysema asphyxiation fatal gunshot wounds to the head vaginal/anal prolapse compound fractures decapitations, let's bring 'em on. That's why I come here, to be disgusted. 

that article came from an online outdoor magazine and was about this and other diseases afflicting the wild population. At the end of the article it mentioned it may be ok to eat, thus my post. sorry if it offended any delicates around here, guess it was a good idea not to post some of the other pics. 

This happened to a bunch of deer here in NJ years ago in the great swamp area. I've never personally seen it. But I would definitely end the suffering if I did.

How do you know they're suffering? Animals don't look into mirrors. 

To the OP: If someone came on here and wrote "I lost my leg in a car accident" we'd all feel sorry for him. If he posted a photo of his leg dangling by a small patch of skin, blood gushing out, maybe a decapitated corpse or two in the background, it would be gross.

To the OP: If someone came on here and wrote "I lost my leg in a car accident" we'd all feel sorry for him. If he posted a photo of his leg dangling by a small patch of skin, blood gushing out, maybe a decapitated corpse or two in the background, it would be gross.

Now that the shit I want to see. Not this nasty ass deer

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

no. thats just tragic, Loretta Wienberg in a bikini is gross, let me find that pic and post....never mind, that would be banish material and maybe some warning pnts, oh and lets not forget the jalepeno enema (pnts for imagination...)

how can someone tell it's suffering? Well it's body index score is about a 2 possibly a 1 so it's obviously starving likely due to the fact that it has growths blocking it's ability to eat. Just look at all the bones sticking out. Personally I don't think it's gross at all its just part of nature. And I'm with low slow I would have no problem looking at pictures of someones injurys, infact i make sure to take pictures of my injurys. I guess it's how I was raised I was gutting fish before I was 5 and field dressed my first deer at 12 and I diddent wear gloves. Hell while I was an animal control officer I used to have to pick up road kill on a weekly basis. It never bothered me any. A deer with some growths on it is not gross it's sad.

how can someone tell it's suffering? Well it's body index score is about a 2 possibly a 1 so it's obviously starving likely due to the fact that it has growths blocking it's ability to eat. Just look at all the bones sticking out. Personally I don't think it's gross at all its just part of nature. And I'm with low slow I would have no problem looking at pictures of someones injurys, infact i make sure to take pictures of my injurys. I guess it's how I was raised I was gutting fish before I was 5 and field dressed my first deer at 12 and I diddent wear gloves. Hell while I was an animal control officer I used to have to pick up road kill on a weekly basis. It never bothered me any. A deer with some growths on it is not gross it's sad.

You're right. It's disgusting to me but maybe a good public service announcement. I didn't think it through. I'm not much of an outdoorsman although every fall I vow to learn how to fish, and every spring I vow to learn how to hunt. Thanks for explaining and not coming back at me like I did with you. 

Gross biological stuff is all a matter of perspective. I was also gutting fish at less than 10 years. I've never killed a deer but I've butchered 4 and killed/skinned about 20 rabbits, plus a fair number of unlucky pheasant which unfortunately for them and through no skill of mine flew into my line of shot. Not squeamish about that.

Multiple tumors are weird though, don't you think? Used to be a lady at the local Shop Rite who had all sorts of tumors on her face. Haven't seen her in a while.

You're right. It's disgusting to me but maybe a good public service announcement. I didn't think it through. I'm not much of an outdoorsman although every fall I vow to learn how to fish, and every spring I vow to learn how to hunt. Thanks for explaining and not coming back at me like I did with you. 

Gross biological stuff is all a matter of perspective. I was also gutting fish at less than 10 years. I've never killed a deer but I've butchered 4 and killed/skinned about 20 rabbits, plus a fair number of unlucky pheasant which unfortunately for them and through no skill of mine flew into my line of shot. Not squeamish about that.

Multiple tumors are weird though, don't you think? Used to be a lady at the local Shop Rite who had all sorts of tumors on her face. Haven't seen her in a while.

you came at deerslayer not me. Just wanted to point out my perspective. I dont think multiple tumors are weird at all. I'm intrigued by that kind of stuff but I know im kinda weird lol. Every time I go to philly I hit up the mutter museum, I recommend staying away from there if this deer bothers you. Would I eat the meat from that deer? Nope. If I was deer hunting would I kill that deer to put it out of its misery? Yes absolutely

you came at deerslayer not me. Just wanted to point out my perspective. I dont think multiple tumors are weird at all. I'm intrigued by that kind of stuff but I know im kinda weird lol. Every time I go to philly I hit up the mutter museum, I recommend staying away from there if this deer bothers you. Would I eat the meat from that deer? Nope. If I was deer hunting would I kill that deer to put it out of its misery? Yes absolutely

Correct again. Sorry Deerslayer. Please see my previous post.

Question: Are we allowed, under current wildlife "law," to put animals out of their misery?

We as in who? If someone sees this in their backyard can they shoot it? No they are not trained in diagnosing wildlife diseases. for all they know its treatable. They would have to call and report it to fish and wildlife. If it was so sick that it was just laying in someone's yard and not fleeing they would have to call animal control and they can have the police put it down. There are diseases that can make an animal look really bad yet are not usually fatal and easily treatable such as mange. That is obviously not the case for that deer, that deer is starving to death.  

Correct again. Sorry Deerslayer. Please see my previous post.

Question: Are we allowed, under current wildlife "law," to put animals out of their misery?

No apologies necessary, I'm thick skinned. We're all entitled to our opinions. And as Adam stated, no can't kill an animal to put it out of its misery. I would only kill that deer if I were hunting and it was legal to take in that zone. In you yard or on the side of the road, I would make a call to fish and wildlife. That's what they get paid for. Not our call to make from a legal standpoint. All wildlife in NJ belongs to the state, only they can make that decision. Or an animal control officer possibly, if your municipality has one.