Sign in to follow this  
NJGF

Some Cartridges Don't Fit In Moon Clips

I have a S&W 627 that is cut for moon clips. I found that some ammunition (in fact most) do not fit in the moon clips. I purchased 6 boxes of different .38 Spl cartridges and found that only the Federal and Winchester fit.

Is this normal and is this what others have found?

quality moonclips are specific to a particular headstamp. 

It's hard to have one moonclip that fits all , because all manufacturers have different tolerances for the groove. It's pretty common for revolver shooters to buy moonclips to specific headstamp, or sort by headstamp to fit whatever clips you currently have.

check out this link for quality moonclips and what brass they fit.

http://www.tkcustom.com/cart/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=196&cat=%2E38+Special%2F%2E357+Magnum+-+6+%26+8+Shot%3C%2Fp%3E%3Cp%3ELarge+N++-+Frame+Models%3C%2FP%3E

Moon Clips 101

If you simply want to use the moon clips at the range, Ranch Products will probably work well with most brass. If you plan to compete, you need moon clips that hold your cartridges the most rigidly.

Ranch Products has a website, but that just garners you their phone number. You will have to call and speak with a real human being to order. They may be willing to send you a sample or two along with their price list.

Competition is a whole different ball game. To load an 8-shot .38 caliber revolver quickly there are three factors: 1) Length of the cartridge. 2) Bullet type. 3) Moon clip fit to the cartridge.

Most people that shoot 627/327 competitively will use either .38 Long Colt or .38 Short Colt to decrease overall cartridge length. For the fastest possible loading, round nose bullets should be used and the charge holes chamfered. On rimmed revolver rounds the groove ahead of the rim is not dimensionally specified by SAAMI, so they can vary quite a bit. So in order to get the best case to moon clip fit you will have to settle on one brand of brass and find the moon clips that fit that brand the best. There are different thicknesses of clips and just because Brand A's .025" thick clip works, doesn't mean that Brand X's .025" clip will work as well. It is often a trial and error process to get the optimum combination of brass and clip.

Premium moon clips are pricey. Expect to pay $6 to $7 a piece for them. The absolute best moon clips on the market are Hearthco. These clips are EDM cut and Dave Hearth can usually recommend the best combination of headstamp and clip. TK Custom also make good moon clips. He designates his clips as TK/Hearthco - that simply means that the clip was designed by Hearthco - these are NOT the same clips as you would get directly from Hearthco. TK clips are stamped, not cut. Revolver Supply (aka Wheelgun Supply) makes numerous thicknesses - also in a stamped clip.Most other clips may be branded differently, but are probably made by one of the four makers mentioned above.

You need to buy the proper tool(s) to load and unload the clips. For the 8-shot clips, there is no better tool than the BMT. It both loads and unloads the clips with a twist of the wrist. Again, pricey, but worth every penny.

I've used the term pricey more than once - but consider that these items are one time purchases. Doubtful that you'll ever wear-out a BMT and if you use the proper tool(s), your clips will last until someone steps on them.

The above is the advanced course on moon clips. For those of you that have 6-shot revolvers chambered in .45 ACP, just use Ranch products - whether for competition or just plinking. Those short, fat round nose cartridges, in a moon clip, practically loads themselves into the cylinder.

HTH.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Midway carries the Ranch clips. Out of stock at the moment though...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/130734/ranch-full-moon-clip-s-and-w-627-38-special-8-round-blue-pack-of-8

Cheaper to deal directly with Ranch.

I guess I didn't have any idea what I was getting into! I have a bunch more reading to do. btw Pizza Bob I have the BMT loader and knew something was wrong when I couldn't budge it when using the Armscor cartridges I had. Thanks everyone for the info.

I guess I didn't have any idea what I was getting into! I have a bunch more reading to do. btw Pizza Bob I have the BMT loader and knew something was wrong when I couldn't budge it when using the Armscor cartridges I had. Thanks everyone for the info.

I got the TK customs moon clips and had what I believe to be the same issue on my 627 Vcomp.

I wish I had an answer for you but after trying it out and it not working I have been hand loading the firearm.

I bought the loading tool from TK and it was physically hard to buy the cartridge on the moon clip. When I went to put the moon clip in it was almost like the spacing was off. It was hard to get the cartridges in the chambers and the further I pushed the harder it was until I decided to stop and that was about half way in.

Guess I need to do some investigating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk